DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Christmas ruin everything for us?

Guns kill 30,000 in the US every year and they are barely regulated. I wouldn't worry too much.
Agreed there are more dangerous nuts with guns than drones but drones are not protected by the constitution and a big lobby.:eek:

GoPro did the right thing when they started failing in the sky, DJI will do the same, no different than the millions of Automobile Recalls...Just depend$ on how much the human life costs vs court costs.

I think they're still too expensive for most. When a product like the Mavic hits a $500 price point the whole casual drone industry will explode. THATS when the problems will begin.

Well, I think it's worth thinking about that topic. Here in Germany we have hardly any restrictions for drones less than 5 kg weight. But there's already a discussion about regulations. And in Italy flying drones is very limited. Me myself am worry about the impact of drones on wildlife, especially birds. Personally I could well live with the idea of passing a licence test.

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

The AMA has done a pretty good job in lobbying for the hobby.
Very true. Without AMA we would be grounded. The price of membership is cheap for the service they provide as well as insurance and magazine. Unfortunately the FAA current restrictions as well as those in the future apply to all RC activity. I've been flying fixed wing AC for 40 years with no government interference. Then the drones that any idiot can fly out of the box came along.

It's so funny to me, when I started with RC helicopters in 2004, all of the fixed winged guys hated them because they didn't fly on a straight flight path, hover, piro-flips, etc... now after I've been flying multi rotors for a couple years now, I went back on my helicopter forums and there were so many threads from people complaining about multi rotors and the issues they cause. :)

I agree with what some have said here. I don't think it's a good idea (for someone that it "pro drone") to be asking for tighter regulations like mandatory training and license. Be care what you ask for. You don't hear pro-gun people asking for tighter gun control. We (in the US) are already required to register with the FAA and there are steep penalties if you don't. There are going to be times that drone pilots are idiots. You just have to deal with the idiots... not everyone trying to enjoy the hobby responsibly. Giving more money to the government to regulate us is not the answer. You will end up with a group of responsible people that take the class and spend the money and the another group of the same idiots that didn't pay a dime still flying drones irresponsibly. As long as there are drones for sale there will be risks, the only way around it is to get rid of them all together... be careful what you ask for.

Reactions: trooper and Q Jones
The problem is not necessarily the mavics or phantoms but the proliferation of cheap drones that seem to be swamping the shops. It is these cheap toys that will fall into the hands of the totally inexperienced user and probably cause trouble. Regulation will follow that's for sure and drone flying for a lot of responsible flyers will become expensive and very difficult I believe.

The problem is not necessarily the mavics or phantoms but the proliferation of cheap drones that seem to be swamping the shops. It is these cheap toys that will fall into the hands of the totally inexperienced user and probably cause trouble. Regulation will follow that's for sure and drone flying for a lot of responsible flyers will become expensive and very difficult I believe.

The problem is people behind keyboards making up scenarios to create hysteria when none is warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

one of biggest threats to our hobby IMO are people like you.

Hi all. I am hoping we can have an open minded discussion without getting personal. I have not known this forum to be this contentious.

We are all making good points. Here is something I would like us to consider: the people causing injury and damage will be those who are uninformed, not careful and not following the rules. There will be more drones, thus more incidents. When avoidable incidents happen, I believe we want it to be clear that the pilot is the problem, not the drone (as a category).

Without a certification or license, there will be no distinction in the eyes of the general public.

We might consider a certification or licensure process to do the following:
- ensure drones are flown safely through mandatory education
- separate us from someone who does not know what they are doing. They will get in trouble for not having a license, not just for flying a drone.

I am surprised at the tone of this discussion. We can disagree, but this is worthy of discussion from this community.

Reactions: kricke_de
Hi all. I am hoping we can have an open minded discussion without getting personal. I have not known this forum to be this contentious.

We are all making good points. Here is something I would like us to consider: the people causing injury and damage will be those who are uninformed, not careful and not following the rules. There will be more drones, thus more incidents. When avoidable incidents happen, I believe we want it to be clear that the pilot is the problem, not the drone (as a category).

Without a certification or license, there will be no distinction in the eyes of the general public.

We might consider a certification or licensure process to do the following:
- ensure drones are flown safely through mandatory education
- separate us from someone who does not know what they are doing. They will get in trouble for not having a license, not just for flying a drone.

I am surprised at the tone of this discussion. We can disagree, but this is worthy of discussion from this community.
I completely agree and have been saying this for a long time. There needs to be a license or certificate, very similar to the hunter safety course given here in NY state. Education is the key to safe skies, not registrations of the aircraft which does nothing to train/educate the operator. If you want to fly them you should be licensed. FYI - I am against nanny laws and would rather not have more government regulation but this is a safety situation where lives could be lost so it is worth it in this case. A license for the operator would weed out some of the irresponsible operators IMHO.

I have been flying toy drones for a few years, i would never have considered buying a more professional and expensive machine until i came across the mavic, I havent got mine yet and i wont until next year now i guess, but the simple fact is that as technology improves and prices come down, these devices are going to be in the hands of people like me who you may class as newbies, I see it as a good thing for the hobby as we all know your either enthusiastic and will remain a flyer or sell cheap on ebay for your next thrill.

TJ, I see that you are an Administrator here.... I have a simple question: Is this just your opinion or is it the official position of the ownership of this site? (Mavic Pilots)
It is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the forum. It is hard to argue against it with all the positive value it would add to the RC community. Many things in life are regulated in similar ways out of the 'need' for it. While for many years there was no 'need' for it, there seems to be a 'need' in the RC community now that anyone with the money can pop open a box and be airborne in minutes. Unfortunately if you leave it unregulated it will quickly become ripe with abuse. The registration we are now subject to is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction by the government to placate the public. It does zero to educate or slow irresponsible operators. A license that requires some basic knowledge would benefit the rc operators and the public with safer skies.

It is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the forum. It is hard to argue against it with all the positive value it would add to the RC community. Many things in life are regulated in similar ways out of the 'need' for it. While for many years there was no 'need' for it, there seems to be a 'need' in the RC community now that anyone with the money can pop open a box and be airborne in minutes. Unfortunately if you leave it unregulated it will quickly become ripe with abuse. The registration we are now subject to is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction by the government to placate the public. It does zero to educate or slow irresponsible operators. A license that requires some basic knowledge would benefit the rc operators and the public with safer skies.
While I strongly disagree with nearly every word, I appreciate you taking the time to answer and sharing your opinion. Thank you.

I have been flying toy drones for a few years, i would never have considered buying a more professional and expensive machine until i came across the mavic, I havent got mine yet and i wont until next year now i guess, but the simple fact is that as technology improves and prices come down, these devices are going to be in the hands of people like me who you may class as newbies, I see it as a good thing for the hobby as we all know your either enthusiastic and will remain a flyer or sell cheap on ebay for your next thrill.
Welcome Trooper! :)
Download the MANUAL from the DJI site, watch all the VIDEOS and take a look at the FAA SITE where you will register yourself (not the drone).
*Only use the FAA REGISTRATION SITE to register your drone... (there are lots of scam sites out there).

Reactions: trooper

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki