DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

10-bit 4K + full FOV not possible?

ErikSwan

Reactions
Phillip Bloom says in his unboxing video at around 8 minutes that 10-bit DLog-M is only available in the "4K HQ" mode, which is the cropped FOV, and that you cannot shoot 10-bit 4K with the full FOV of the sensor/lens.

Can anyone confirm if this is true with the final firmware? I actually have a Mavic 2 Pro at home, unboxed, but I dropped my phone in a river and my temporary replacement phone (iPhone 5) is too old for DJI Go 4, so I cannot check myself until my new phone gets here.

This would be a somewhat disappointing limitation if true, especially since it isn't noted anywhere on DJI's website (even in the fine print).

The owners manual does state that it takes 5.5k and crops it to 4K
Indeed it does. However, it doesn't say anything about DLog-M or HLG being restricted to the "4K HQ" (crop) mode, which is what I am trying to confirm. Here's the full relevant section from the user's manual (pg. 38) for anyone curious:
The Mavic 2 Pro supports video formats MP4 and MOV, providing Normal, D-Log, and HLG color modes. In Normal mode, H.264 and H.265 code formats are supported. In D-Log or HLG mode, only H.265 is supported.

For the Mavic 2 Pro, Full FOV down samples from the 5.5K sensor to 4K resolution while HW [sic] crops in the center for finer image quality but less FOV. Full FOV view is 75° and HQ view is 55°. You can select between them according to your actual shooting demands.

Ive read in a few places that ONLY HQ provides 10 bit data (the full view mode is resampled down from 5.7k to 4k and loses data).

I guess once people actually get drones and start doing tests you can do a side by side to see how far you can push a HQ v Full in editing and guess from there if there are bit differences.

I would like to revel this subject since I am new with mavic 2 pro and I am looking for some answers.
So far I was shooting in 4k FULL FOV with DLOG-M, but reading forum I find out that 4k HQ might be better option.
In post editing 4k full FOV I noticed that my sliders are not so flexible and it start to bothers me.
I started to look into differences between 4k full fov and 4k hq. Some people calming that 4k FULL FOV doesn't have 10bit color space. So I would like to clear this.
Can someone comment this?

Maybe it is not directly related with this topic. But I will say it here since I am not sure. I noticed when I load official DlogM to Rec709 LUT that it clips my highlights which I couldn't recover on anyway. So 4k full FOV dlogm recorded image in which highlight were close to the ehdge and when I apply LUT that converts to Rec709 it clips. I guess reason is conversion to Rec709, but I am not certain. Could this be because 4k Full FOV doesn't provide 10bit color space i.e. it is not flexible enough?

Please comment. I am looking for those answers since it bothers me, I screw up my images because of that.

10bit 4k in FOV mode? ......I would argue that FOV mode doesnt even do "4k" by a long shot.

Try a shot using FOV "4k" and compare it to 1080 and you will see only a tiny difference.

High Quality 1:1 cropped readout mode is required for 4k. FOV (non HQ mode) is pixel binned garbage that DJI should not call "4k"......in my humble opinion.

Yes, 10bit DLog-M is available in both 4K FOV and 4K HQ modes. I believe it was the very first firmware update for the M2P that enabled 10bit in FOV mode.

Let me summarize few things I've learnd so far on this subject. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4k FULL FOV:
- it uses wider sensor portion
- it has wider FOV images
- it uses pixel binning and line skipping methods to process frames i.e. it is not 1:1 pixel mapping
- it has softer image
- since it uses larger portion of sensor, noise is less noticeable

4k HQ:
- it uses smaller portion of sensor
- it has narrower FOV
- it uses 1:1 pixel mapping
- it has sharper image
- since it uses smaller portion of sensor noise is more noticeable

If 4k FULL FOV uses pixel binning and line skipping and doesn't perform 1:1 mapping, that I would hard to belive that it delivers 10bit color range?
Isn't color space than affected with those methods they introduced(line skipping etc)?

Reactions: Jensmag
Let me summarize few things I've learnd so far on this subject. Please correct me if I am wrong.

4k FULL FOV:
- it uses wider sensor portion
- it has wider FOV images
- it uses pixel binning and line skipping methods to process frames i.e. it is not 1:1 pixel mapping
- it has softer image
- since it uses larger portion of sensor, noise is less noticeable

4k HQ:
- it uses smaller portion of sensor
- it has narrower FOV
- it uses 1:1 pixel mapping
- it has sharper image
- since it uses smaller portion of sensor noise is more noticeable

If 4k FULL FOV uses pixel binning and line skipping and doesn't perform 1:1 mapping, that I would hard to belive that it delivers 10bit color range?
Isn't color space than affected with those methods they introduced(line skipping etc)?
No....8bit or 10bit color sampling happens right at the individual photosite's analog to digital conversion process. It has nothing to do with the rest of the sensor. Its just the sampling depth on one single pixel voltage collection and quantization.

Ok, thanks.
But than 4k Full FOV doesn't seems to me so bad... Yes, it is soft and it is kind of hybrid image that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping, but I would rather prefer softer image which I could controlled sharpen in post process, than sharpen image which brings more noise unless it is really significant difference in sharpness.

Ok, thanks.
But than 4k Full FOV doesn't seems to me so bad... Yes, it is soft and it is kind of hybrid image that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping, but I would rather prefer softer image which I could controlled sharpen in post process, than sharpen image which brings more noise unless it is really significant difference in sharpness.
Thats cool. If you like the FOV look, that's fine. Heck, my own wife tells me she cant even see the difference between a standard definition DVD or 1080 Blu-ray or even 4k. To her, its all the same thing...I get it.

To my eyes? The difference between them is massive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada