DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many have Filmed in 10 Bit ?

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
This has always been a little bit of hassle , but now there making it so easy, Just a click of the Cine button.
Which brings me to the Color Grading ? Who has the Best System for a fast attack .

They say 99.8 % wont ever use 8 /or 10 bit and Yet it makes a difference in Quality of the video that I can actually see. considering I never notice a difference between 2k / 4K footage.

I know @zeusfl did some beautiful work on his video in 10 bit ,as that came out stellar.
Now that it is easier than ever , will you try it or is the Grading just to taxing ?

2022-06-03_14h42_40.png

Lets here thee.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water an go 10 bit
2021-12-10_15h33_20.png2021-10-04_22h45_52.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.34.39 PM.pngScreenshot 09-26-2020 12.41.02.jpg

Last edited:
Grading is scary when you first learn about it's existence, and seems difficult and technical early on.

99% of the time grading consists of adjusting saturation, brightness, and contrast, in that order, then tweaking each a bit from there until you like the result. Takes 5 minutes at most most of the time. It really is that easy.

So grading can be done on the simplest of editors. Yes, imagery can be improved further by better tools, but unless you're a professional getting paid for the work, you don't need it. You might want it (I do 😁, so I have and use Premiere Pro), but you don't need it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This has always been a little bit of hassle , but now there making it so easy, Just a click of the Cine button.
Which brings me to the Color Grading ? Who has the Best System for a fast attack .

They say 99.8 % wont ever use 8 /or 10 bit and Yet it makes a difference in Quality of the video that I can actually see. considering I never notice a difference between 2k / 4K footage.

I know @zeusfl did some beautiful work on his video in 10 bit ,as that came out stellar.
Now that it is easier than ever , will you try it or is the Grading just to taxing ?

View attachment 149298

Lets here thee.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water an go 10 bit
View attachment 149293View attachment 149295View attachment 149296View attachment 149297
Ever since I got my M2P, I shoot entirely using HLG. I find most shots require little color grading. Sometimes I add a little contrast which inherently improves saturation. And the good part of HLG is the gamma curve is backward compatible with SDR in case I want to mix in some Rec. 709 clips and produce an SDR vs an HDR video.

Keep in mind that 10 bit is only supported using the H.265 Codec and does not work with H.264.
Are you talking about a specific drone or in general?.... h264 does support 10bit even though there was a time when it didn't.

I color grade using Dlog with my Air 2s and Phantom 4 frequently but have pretty much stopped using it with the Mavic 3. The Mavic 3 LOG profile is so flat that it is very difficult to bring it to life without lots of work. The normal profile looks good and just has to have the greens desaturated a bit to make it look fantastic. I am usually striving to make things look more natural.... not pushing the envelope.

Additionally I am using the Tele camera and the Main camera together so its difficult to blend footage together if one is normal and the other is LOG or HLG.

I won't share a whole video.... just a screenshot but the ability of the Mavic 3 main camera is stunning.

vlcsnap-2022-06-03-21h18m37s862.png

I color grade using Dlog with my Air 2s and Phantom 4 frequently but have pretty much stopped using it with the Mavic 3. The Mavic 3 LOG profile is so flat that it is very difficult to bring it to life without lots of work. The normal profile looks good and just has to have the greens desaturated a bit to make it look fantastic. I am usually striving to make things look more natural.... not pushing the envelope.

Additionally I am using the Tele camera and the Main camera together so its difficult to blend footage together if one is normal and the other is LOG or HLG.

I won't share a whole video.... just a screenshot but the ability of the Mavic 3 main camera is stunning.

View attachment 149319
This explains something I was confused on at that was the Tele Camera and Main being different , one being log and HLG now i get why they want that changed, Thank you.

In general. The H.264 codec is 8 bit only, regardless of what camera or drone is being used.
That is not correct. The H.264 standard was amended to use 10 bit years ago. It has often been limited to 8 bit on many drones including the Autel EVO 2 but the Mavic 3 and Air 2s can use 10 bit H.264 when using Dlog.

This explains something I was confused on at that was the Tele Camera and Main being different , one being log and HLG now i get why they want that changed, Thank you.
The 7X Tele only uses normal. Main camera uses normal, D-log, HLG.

Shooting in LOG can save your butt if you have some highly reflective areas in the scene. But grading from LOG can be a challenge, to me at least. I use DaVinci Resolve for all my post processing. It takes a little time and some reading to figure out how to proceed. I'm not anywhere near understanding all of it but I've gotten to the point where I can take footage shot from different cameras, some in LOG and others not, and get them looking alike, at leas to the point where a viewer isn't aware of the differences in how each clipin the final sequence was shot.

My insight is to look at the clips, determine what the biggest difference is between them (like contrast), and adjust that first. Ideally, one of the clips in that first comparison should be a really important scene that also looks pretty good to start. That can serrve as the reference to which the other clips are matched. If that clip was shot in LOG, it'll need some adjusting (like contrast and saturation) right off the bat before you can use it as a reference. Get it looking good, and then compare other clips to it for color balance (tone, sasturation, contrast, etc.).

I often start with contrast. The various scopes (like the waveform) in DaVinci can help to get the brights equally bright and the darks equally dark across clips. Then, look at what the next biggest difference is (like overall saturation), and adjust that. At some point, the clips will look close but you'll still se a noticable shift when you scroll from one to the next. That's usually when some finer tuning is called for.

At that stage, I look specifically at highlight areas in both clips and see how (or if) they differ. Are the highlights pinker in one than the other, for example. Do the shadows on one have a bluish tint the othe other clip lacks? Are there still differences in the midtones? These finer adjustments to specific parts of the tone spectrum can be tricky. But saving them for near the end of the process helps. There's likely to be some back-and-forth as every change will have some unintended consequences. Dark, mid, and bright areas aren't mutually exclusive. They overlap. It can take some time to get things balances across clips. Before a change, try to keep track of where the image was (make note of the relevant values) so that you can undo it if needed. Similarly, color contrast (i.e., saturation) and luminance contrast aren't fully independent. Making really small changes is usually best. A few successive big changes can leve you with a mess and you may have some difficult undoing the damage. Proceed in small increments.

I'm getting better at this with practice. It's still definitely a challenge but I enjoy the process. It's taught me both the value of shooting in LOG and of using an ND filter on bright days, among other things. Hope some of these suggestions help others.

Which brings up another important point: Grading, and color perception is entirely subjective. And make matters worse, it's subjective in two ways: What one actually perceives, and what one desires..

So there's no "correct" grade to any video. There's only what looks good, and as a target this is, basically useless, so the novice gets very frustrated not knowing what to do.

Didn't the tele lens get an update to allow dlog? Mine is out for repairs but I thought I saw someplace a very recent firmware update. No?

Didn't the tele lens get an update to allow dlog? Mine is out for repairs but I thought I saw someplace a very recent firmware update. No?
Nope.... manual controls were added and RAW for the photo side but no love for LOG users.

Which brings up another important point: Grading, and color perception is entirely subjective. And make matters worse, it's subjective in two ways: What one actually perceives, and what one desires..

So there's no "correct" grade to any video. There's only what looks good, and as a target this is, basically useless, so the novice gets very frustrated not knowing what to do.
So this is where the Histograms per color come into play to 0 out the spectrums correct ?
That way you detail the color the way it was captured i thought .

So this is where the Histograms per color come into play to 0 out the spectrums correct ?
Well, strange as this may sound "color the way it was captured" is a unicorn, due to the very subjective (and utterly amazing, given the thorny problems we didn't know our brains were solving) nature of color perception.

Watch a few YT videos on "Color Constancy" and we'll discuss "color the way it was captured" 😁

It is true there is no "correct" way in any technical sense but there ARE correct ( or reasonably so) ways to color correct skin tones. FCP has a skin tone bar in the video scopes window that allows a person to know when they are at least within the norms for common skin tones. Some folks take a jpg facing some direction for a reference and I think DJI does handle color very well but ultimately if you don't shoot jpg you are definitely on your own in terms of how you wish to colorize the final scene.

It is true there is no "correct" way in any technical sense but there ARE correct ( or reasonably so) ways to color correct skin tones. FCP has a skin tone bar in the video scopes window that allows a person to know when they are at least within the norms for common skin tones. Some folks take a jpg facing some direction for a reference and I think DJI does handle color very well but ultimately if you don't shoot jpg you are definitely on your own in terms of how you wish to colorize the final scene.
I like that idea of taking a JPEG to get some reference to color as well as I use the JPEG as a thumbnail so I can see at a glance on my computer where I took off from .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Saladshooter
I like that idea of taking a JPEG to get some reference to color as well as I use the JPEG as a thumbnail so I can see at a glance on my computer where I took off from .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I usually take a picture with my iPhone to get an idea of what the lighting and colors of the area looked like.
I sometimes take a JPEG from the drone but have forgotten to start recording again so I think hard before switching modes. I would love to have an auto record toggle for video in the software.

Something people are more familiar with is White Balance. It is the simplified correction addressing the perception issue of Color Constancy.

If we were to capture and record light exactly as it enters the sensor, the precise levels of red, green, and blue strength in the light, it would look horrible when displayed from most situations, particularly captures from artificial lighting conditions.

The reason is our brains are continuously doing "white balance" all the time so colors look the same. The way the brain processes color is so amazing it can perceive a full color projected image when one of the colors is not even present in the projected light.

In fact, setting white balance when capturing imagery is the first pass at color grading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki