DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st crash in over a year, what happened??

Could the radical drifting at seemingly full aileron be that compass at 180o error at take off thing ?
Where the onboard systems try to correct making it worse, and keeps incorrectly trying to fix the error (causing those fly aways normally).
Would that show full aileron in that situation, or do the logs show actual stick inputs ?

Congrats for your new MA! Where did you go? I am living in France too, curious to know.

I had a very similar problem with my Mavic Air controller. Controller beeped a nonstop warning every time I turned it on. Drone rather than remaining stationary, constantly drifted backward even though I was not touching the joy sticks. I could not calibrate the controls because the controller said joysticks were not in neutral positions to start. Took controller totally apart but found nothing unusual. After “banging” the right controller for about 60 seconds (this was just prior to my planned wastebasket shot), the controller suddenly stopped beeping and finally allowed me to calibrate it successfully. I suspect if I had looked at the flight records, it would have shown back stick applied even though my hands were not even on the right joystick. In the military we used to call it brogan (shoe or boot) maintenance.

Thanks people, for “translating” the data and the smart arse remarks ;)

No magnets. Memory is 100%. No pilot error. Sometimes things go wrong and not always pilot’s fault at all.

Went to DJI shop (only one in France) and had their tech team look it over, data and machines.

Remote problem. “Something” was sticking in the remote, causing it to block and over exaggerate input, and move on it’s own.
Wouldn’t tell me exactly. Oh well, knew it wasn’t me, especially when I have to remote calibrate every power on/battery change.

Actually have a video of remote “moving” 35%, on it’s own.

Get it looked at “professionally” Olav.

Add that to the list of very rare, but possible, incidents.

New MA and remote next week. Yippee!!
Actually the incident was arguably your fault- you flew knowing, or at least should have suspected, a serious problem with the remote as it wouldn’t calibrate properly. A big risk to take. Would you drive your car if the steering wheel of brakes didn’t work as expected?

Cheers guys.

Went to DJI Official shop in Paris. Stellar customer service. They also replaced the right stick.

Anyway to post videos here? Another video with a 50% down movement with no controller input.

Accident, was arguably my fault, but how to test it without flying? Knew had a warranty backup and a real problem, so wasn’t that stressed.

Cheers guys.

Went to DJI Official shop in Paris. Stellar customer service. They also replaced the right stick.

Anyway to post videos here? Another video with a 50% down movement with no controller input.

Accident, was arguably my fault, but how to test it without flying? Knew had a warranty backup and a real problem, so wasn’t that stressed.
@badbrain ... To post a video:
Upload to YouTube, make public, copy the code YouTube gives you..... Then paste this code into your post as text (not photo/vid. You video preview and link will appear in the post.

Vimeo is similar.

To the few people insisting that OP applied full aileron -
Just because the log shows the sticks being maxed out doesn't rule out the possibility of a controller malfunction misinterpreting a neutral position.

Reactions: dawgpilot
To the few people insisting that OP applied full aileron -
Just because the log shows the sticks being maxed out doesn't rule out the possibility of a controller malfunction misinterpreting a neutral position.

It's really most unlikely that, in addition to the other problems on this flight, the controller also malfunctioned in a way that I cannot recall any other documented examples of.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
It's really most unlikely that, in addition to the other problems on this flight, the controller also malfunctioned in a way that I cannot recall any other documented examples of.
Hall Effect Sensors can (and have) gone faulty causing intermittent erroneous output.
This would show on the log as stick input/throw without the stick being physically moved.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hall Effect Sensors can (and have) gone faulty causing intermittent erroneous output.
This would show on the log as stick input/throw without the stick being physically moved.

Yes - I wasn't suggesting that they cannot fail, I was suggesting that two uncommon and unrelated failures on one flight is unlikely.

Hello guys, I found all this interesting and maybe matching a situation occurred to my MA yesterday.
the drone took off and totally drifted away flying very low engaging in a sort od spiral then fortunately crashing a tree just by the river...thanks God! No visible damages. I am very new at using the MA as well as on this forum so I may benefit from your expertise in reading the data... In this respect, would you be so kind to analyse my flight records attached below too?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-27_[22-27-46].txt
    15.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
the drone took off and totally drifted away flying very low engaging in a sort od spiral then fortunately crashing a tree just by the river...thanks God! No visible damages. I am very new at using the MA as well as on this forum so I may benefit from your expertise in reading the data.
You've attached two files but I can't make sense of the first and larger one.
I'm not sure if you've modified it or if it isn't really flight data.
The smaller file is from a very short 9 second flight and looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There's no obvious problem and no error messages.
You launched moved the joysticks a little and brought the drone back down.
The drone seemed to be responding to the joystick input properly.

You've attached two files but I can't make sense of the first and larger one.
I'm not sure if you've modified it or if it isn't really flight data.
The smaller file is from a very short 9 second flight and looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There's no obvious problem and no error messages.
You launched moved the joysticks a little and brought the drone back down.
The drone seemed to be responding to the joystick input properly.

Hey Meta, thank you for having a look! please ignore the first file, I tried to export it somehow but unsuccessfully... so it regards the same short scary flight.
this is what i faced: I made the drone taking off from a table, wooden one with some metal structure and by using the autmatic ltake off function. After one sec of hovering the drone started to drift away on my right hand completely disregarding the controller. I didnt even have the fingers on the sticks. Once I realized this uncontrollable reaction, I couldn't manage to land or decrease the already insignificant altitude (2/3 meters I guess) so I just pressed the RTH but didn't work at all and fortunately hit a tree and bushes. I really don't know what happened and that's why I am not sure whether I should send it to assistance. I tried another fly afterwords in other place and it flew regularly but just showing me some possible magnetic disturbance (I had couple of door keys, couple of euro and my bicycle next to me). Please, if you have any idea about what happened, putting also together these other info I shared, let me know whether i should further investigate or just keep flying maybe avoiding that place.

Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S