DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 lost Mavic pros

radio5991

Reactions
I have lost 2 drones in a little over 2 months and am looking for some advice to maybe find whats left
Similar circumstances: 1st was a mavic pro with about 250 flights logged when it just lost communication with controller
It was 3500 feet away at 320 feet high with 70% battery left
It was a wooded area but I had coordinates of last position
Looked several hours and have returned several times with no luck
I bought a new Platinum but did not even unpack the new controller- just used the other with the Ipad attached
Used it for 25+ flights when same thing happened- sudden loss of communication
Drone was RTH 2500 feet away at 360 feet up over a cotton field
Not quite in sight but I was looking at screen when it lost
Again good location but after hours walking in waist high cotton- no drone
Obviously I suspect controller is just shutting down drone and will never use this controller again
Any ideas on what happens?
Does drone go straight down? Would it veer left or right? Could it continue flying till battery ran out?
Appreciate your thoughts

What else could it be but a bad controller?

Reactions: Mrmund
Last edited:
Obviously I suspect controller is just shutting down drone and will never use this controller again
What else could it be but a bad controller?
Time for a little revision of what's in the manual.
Turn to page 13 - the RTH section and read all about Failsafe RTH:
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the remote controller signal is lost for a specified amount of time (3 seconds when using the remote controller and 20 seconds when using Wi-Fi).
So a bad controller isn't the explanation.

There are some possible reasons for Mavics not returning home on losing signal.
One is that losing signal isn't the problem, losing the drone is.
If your drone has a loss of power, it falls from the sky and you are left with nothing to connect to.

Some other possible explanations are:
1. Home point not recorded before flying and gets recorded somewhere else as you fly.
Drone returns to where home point is rather than launch point.
2. Strong wind prevents return flight
3. Obstacle prevents return flight
4. The owner changed the loss of signal action from the default (RTH).

Post your recorded flight data from both flights and perhaps someone will be able to spot a clue in the data or at least eliminate some possible causes.

Time for a little revision of what's in the manual.
Turn to page 13 - the RTH section and read all about Failsafe RTH:
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the remote controller signal is lost for a specified amount of time (3 seconds when using the remote controller and 20 seconds when using Wi-Fi).
So a bad controller isn't the explanation.

If your drone has a loss of power, it falls from the sky and you are left with nothing to connect to.

Some other possible explanations are:
1. Home point not recorded before flying and gets recorded somewhere else as you fly.
Drone returns to where home point is rather than launch point.
2. Strong wind prevents return flight
3. Obstacle prevents return flight
4. The owner changed the loss of signal action from the default (RTH).

Post your recorded flight data from both flights and perhaps someone will be able to spot a clue in the data or at least eliminate some possible causes.

Will work on that today Thanks

I have lost 2 drones in a little over 2 months and am looking for some advice to maybe find whats left
Similar circumstances: 1st was a mavic pro with about 250 flights logged when it just lost communication with controller
It was 3500 feet away at 320 feet high with 70% battery left
It was a wooded area but I had coordinates of last position
Looked several hours and have returned several times with no luck
I bought a new Platinum but did not even unpack the new controller- just used the other with the Ipad attached
Used it for 25+ flights when same thing happened- sudden loss of communication
Drone was RTH 2500 feet away at 360 feet up over a cotton field
Not quite in sight but I was looking at screen when it lost
Again good location but after hours walking in waist high cotton- no drone
Does drone go straight down? Would it veer left or right? Could it continue flying till battery ran out?
Appreciate your thoughts
I expect that with the help of the guys who have posted advice that you will eventually get your drone issues resolved. Beyond that, my suggestion is to test and observe the RTH capabilities of your next drone. First, set the RTH parameters. Then fly 50 to 100 ft away in an open area keeping VLOS. Then activate RTH. If it’s not working, cancel it and take control.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreeHugger
Meta 4 posted:

Just offering a possible explanation as to why a drone would drop out of the sky.
My M2Z just fell out of the sky after losing signal.
I was watching it when the battery separated from the drone and both fell into water.
I have since learned that the Mavic 2 series (Pro or Zoom) have recorded a significant number of incidents where the battery ejects from the drone in mid-flight.
It is possible that this has happened to your drone.
But your flight logs should clarify that with the help of other members here that can do the analysis.

Yes Meta4, when a battery ejects from the drone, it does lose power. I have posted on this within the past month with detailed explanations. It is a known issue.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-09-11_[07-46-49].txt
    406.5 KB · Views: 36
Here is end of 1st Mavic Pro
That earlier flight looks like this:

For both flights:
Terrain was good - no obstacles on any potential RTH path
Wind was not an issue and would not have prevented the Mavic from returning
Battery level was more than enough to return
Failsafe Action was set to RTH for both flights, the second flight ends after RTH commenced.
Recorded data for both flights ends with the drone in stable flight indicating no collision.

All the simple and obvious potential causes of failure to return have been eliminated.
The controller was not a factor.
That leaves the cause of the losses in the unexplained category.
That might include sudden loss of power due to a swollen battery loosening its connection or a random hardware fault but we have no data to show any details.

Reactions: _gonzales_
Has the pilot identified the drone to be a Mavic Pro or a Mavic 2 series (M2P or M2Z)? Or other type?

How many cycles on the batteries? I suspect the drone lost power due to battery ejection (swollen battery).

Thanks for your imput
Let me add one incident that I did not think of because of it's minor effect
After getting the 2nd(new) drone, I was RTH from a crop scouting flight-drone came in at 164 feet, located landing zone and started down
I put controller down on tailgate and walked about 10 feet to meet drone and change battery after landing
Everything fine till about 4 feet off ground- drone just dropped- area was soft so no damage done but it was a hard fall
I thought the elevation was just off and continued to fly
Thinking back maybe that happened again but much higher

In any event in your opinion both drones should be very close to their last position?
You think they both went straight down?
Do you know of any way they could have flown off on their own without sending data back to controller?
The old bat out of hell flight to freedom?
Thanks again

Don't really know of cycles on batteries but as much as 50 cycles possible 300 flights on 4 batteries but sometimes make short flights without changing battery

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998