2 new Jamming trials coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
had 2 notifications today about upcoming jamming trials from the CAA
Sennybridge 23rd to27th May ,and 30th May to 3rd June

RAF Spadeadam from 23rd May with lots of other dates, right through till November this year ,most of them lasting for a three day period

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
just as an aside to the post above ,for those of us flying drones in the UK, i would recommend that you download the CAA Sky Wise App to your device ,you can choose which categories of info you wish to be informed about ,and when any NOTAMS or other drone related information is forthcoming, then it will automatically be sent to you ,it also allows you to be able to participate in any surveys regarding changes to drone regulations ,as soon as they become available ,and when it comes to the Jamming info that i mentioned in my post above ,it could save your drone if it lost GPS because of the jamming ,that you were unaware of
disclaimer( i do not work for the CAA, but i think that anything that helps us to fly safely and responsibly, when we enjoy our hobby can only be a good thing)

Reactions: Richard R
Unless the jamming is different then what the USA does it should not affect your drone at all. I have seen a lot of notifications mostly from California and it never effected drones or airplanes for that matter.

the jamming mentioned in the NOTAM refers to GPS signals being affected and this means that the drone would go into Atti mode ,and would be subject to what ever winds were present, and would be at the mercy of that wind
depending on which wavelengths are being used it could also impact with radio signals between the RC and the drone
its primary function is to disrupt the guidance systems used in unmanned military drones ,and and other types of weapons that rely on GPS to get them to their destination, it can also cause issues with car satnavs and other GPS guided equipment

the jamming mentioned in the NOTAM refers to GPS signals being affected and this means that the drone would go into Atti mode ,and would be subject to what ever winds were present, and would be at the mercy of that wind
depending on which wavelengths are being used it could also impact with radio signals between the RC and the drone
its primary function is to disrupt the guidance systems used in unmanned military drones ,and and other types of weapons that rely on GPS to get them to their destination, it can also cause issues with car satnavs and other GPS guided equipment
Yes I know, the USA have been doing these kinds of drills for years. They have never affect consumer drones but yours might be different.

Here is a old one but nothing happened when they did this.

Last edited:
These generally happen every few months and have done for years. Sometimes its GNSS only, sometimes its control frequencies only, other times its both.

Im tempted to go to the location edge (public access next to the range) with some GPS modules and see exactly what happens if anything out of curiosity.

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats...tion-Circulars-AICs/EG_Circ_2022_P_024_en.pdf for the Sennybridge doc - its GNSS only.

The following frequencies will be affected:
1559 MHz – 1612 MHz (GNSS L1/E1 band);
1215 MHz – 1256 MHz (GNSS L2 band);
1160 MHz – 1214 MHz (GNSS L5/E5 band)

Interesting in that they're working with the CAA and using ADSB to assess the impact of it on commercial aircraft in the area at the time.

Not sure if anyone is interested but you can see the results of GPS jamming on ADSB exchange (using the ?badgps suffix) generally using this:
The well known jamming areas around the Russian base in Syria along with northern Iraq, Turkey and Moscow show quite clearly with commercial flights reporting degraded GPS when overflying.
(as i type this theres a clear cluster on the Romanian border and black sea coast for example)
One thing, id question the use of Skywise - on Android at least ive never got it to work or send any bulletin on any device on any topic in several years. I just sign up via email on the webpage.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-20 172421.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-20 172421.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: old man mavic
Unless the jamming is different then what the USA does it should not affect your drone at all. I have seen a lot of notifications mostly from California and it never effected drones or airplanes for that matter.
It jams GPS so affects everything using GNSS.

Drones, cars, aircraft. Everything within their bubble.

Including things that use GPS for timing and sync not just positioning so digital radio systems and so on.

Reactions: old man mavic
We're not in the USA.
This is a standard GNSS jamming trial and can and does all affected services within the declared area.
That's the whole point of them. They're common in most parts of the world.
(In addition to the parts of the world with 24/7 constant GNSS jamming such as Latakia, Moscow etc)

We're not in the USA.
This is a standard GNSS jamming trial and can and does all affected services within the declared area.
That's the whole point of them. They're common in most parts of the world.
(In addition to the parts of the world with 24/7 constant GNSS jamming such as Latakia, Moscow etc)
Well good luck with the jamming but I don't think your going to see any difference or drones falling from the sky. If you do then DJI just had a win fall as they will be getting a lot of replacement orders.

@Agustine no one is saying that the jamming is going to cause our drones to fall from the sky
as i stated in another post it prevents the drone from getting a secure GPS lock ,and in atti mode it is at the mercy of the elements ,once it gets out of downwards facing sensor range
it might be fun for some people to fly in atti mode ,but if the drone was at altitude when the GPS was lost then it wouldn't take long for it to disappear down wind and end up causing issues for others or even going into restricted airspace ,it cant geo fence without a good GPS lock the whole point of NOTAMS ,and the reason i bring them to the attention of other forum members, is to inform ,so that they can make an informed decision as to whether they fly or not in the affected locations

@Agustine no one is saying that the jamming is going to cause our drones to fall from the sky
as i stated in another post it prevents the drone from getting a secure GPS lock ,and in atti mode it is at the mercy of the elements ,once it gets out of downwards facing sensor range
it might be fun for some people to fly in atti mode ,but if the drone was at altitude when the GPS was lost then it wouldn't take long for it to disappear down wind and end up causing issues for others or even going into restricted airspace ,it cant geo fence without a good GPS lock the whole point of NOTAMS ,and the reason i bring them to the attention of other forum members, is to inform ,so that they can make an informed decision as to whether they fly or not in the affected locations
Its kind of funny how you over in the UK are all in a tither about this. These GPS blackouts have been happening for a long time in North America. Not one problem has been recorded from drone flying.
If you want to put on your tin foil hat go for it. You will be missing a day or so of flying your drones.

no one is in a tither at all ,because for warned is for armed,
i will close this thread now as you and i are never going to see eye to eye on this subject and the information is on the forum for all to see

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke