DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D Printer? Now or in the near future? Let's discuss all types and levels of 3D Printing!

TheLightSpeed!

Reactions
So I just got a new 3D printer. I'm a total Newbie. I'm hoping to have a open dialog about what printers do people have, how best to use them, software, filament and anything else.

I got a Flashforge Finder for my birthday. So far I've plugged it in and printed these -
640a50301de59bd1019521cde17b1f31.jpg

That's a test file that comes with it.

Then I downloaded this on Thingiverse- it's a screw jack! Awesome!

ed352b27c65575496eb3edfb1d635649.jpg

It took 12 hours but came out perfectly! It's a single piece unit that works like a screw jack!

What do you have?

Reactions: guest_1121
Printed up mount for Gear 360, Stick locks for the controller, and prop locks (top and bottom) for when the Mavic is being stored.

Awesome!

Yeah I think these FlashForge printers are dummy proof.

I've heard really good things about those Geeetech printers.

I swear this Flashforge like has nothing to tinker with..

I've only printed trinkets so far. I really need to start learning the software.

That's awesome!

Yeah we don't see much on here about 3D printers other than people trying to sell stuff.

I think if most people knew how easy it truly is they would just make their own stuff.

Thanks so much! That's all super helpful!

Yeah the trinkets on the Thingiverse! Lol. My kids have a big demand for crap. While I learn.

The only issue I'm having with the printer I have is the bed leveling is semi assisted and I wish it wasn't or was automatic all together.

I almost bought the Tevo Little Monster just for bed leveling reasons.

The Flashforge I have is the Finder. So far it's great for my needs. Bigger things can be Printer a piece at a time.

Lol. Yeah I hear you.

So you're right. The bed leveling seems easy. The first one? No sweat, but my the time I get to the rear one it's all out of whack.

I keep running tests, and manually adjusting until it looked right.

This one came with a ton of filament! A whole spool and I've had it printing constantly since Saturday and I am still not out.

The M3D is nice and was a huge step in print quality/material versatility from what I could ever get with my previous 3Drag I had since 2014 (can be seen in the corner on the ground, waited until the Robo got there in June to get rid of it should I need to print large stuff), but since there's as much of a step between the Micro and the Robo it hasn't seen much use since I have the big one.
I got it mostly as a filler, the R2 was a kickstarter which as usual was late (6 months), I had some small stuff to do this spring I would't have trusted the 3Drag on so I just got the M3D in the meantime given the cheap price and since it was small enough I could keep it afterwards (my place is too cramped to have 2 full size printers...)

The M3D prints well but has its quirks, it's very slow, the software is pretty meh (been "beta" for pretty much 2 years, and the "latest" release is a year old by now), and adjustments are a bit of a pain (it has no limit switches so the Z reference is a pain to calibrate and often gets lost, and there's a lot of X/Y backlash that needs careful compensation adjustment and will always leave a small mark on rounded parts).

20170416_150309.jpg
20170416_150240.jpg

The R2 is really convenient, has all one would need IMO. Also has auto bed leveling since that was a topic, but I personally don't like it, seem to have less consistent results than manual tuning so I disabled it. Seems to be a good thing if the leveling was totally out of whack, but as soon as you manage to get a good manual leveling it'll screw up with it more than anything.

I recently picked up a 'Maker Select Pro Ultimate' It is sold by Monoprice but it is really a rebranded Wanhoe D6.
It has been challenging at times when a print goes wrong but that is part of the learning I suppose.

What software is everyone using? I have been using Cura and Simplify3D on a Mac.

157101.jpg

S3D since a month or so as well. The R2 came with a customized Cura that I used for a while but S3D made a world of difference. M3D has its own thing.

The Wanhao printers and their Monoprice rebrands seem a great value indeed.

I have been using Cura and Simplify3D on a Mac.
I'm using Simplify3D. It's a great slicer and there is lots of information about it online if you ever need help with any of the features.

I recently picked up a 'Maker Select Pro Ultimate' It is sold by Monoprice but it is really a rebranded Wanhoe D6.
It has been challenging at times when a print goes wrong but that is part of the learning I suppose.

What software is everyone using? I have been using Cura and Simplify3D on a Mac.

View attachment 21234

Wow wow wow. That's the printer I was going to buy. I actually considered buying the Monoprice Mini Pro. Then the maker.

It gets pretty good reviews.

The Flashforge has its own software. Which is basic. So far it's been great for scaling, slicing, and moving parts around.

I have to be honest, the quality in which it prints it's pretty amazing for seriously, plugging it in, leveling the bed, and hitting print!

I need to try Cura! I hear really good stuff about that software.

I tried 360 another popular one and it's just too complicated for me right now.

That's crazy TJ, I swear I was on the track to get that printer.

I'm using Simplify3D. It's a great slicer and there is lots of information about it online if you ever need help with any of the features.

I feel so stupid. I'm struggling making my own prints. @msinger I sit and stare at those strobon things you make and wish I could figure out how to make something like that myself!

I'm sure it is not even close to a quality printer but I figured it was a good entry point for me to get my feet wet and it was cheap! :D

TJ have you watched some videos on that printer? The MP Mini does a pretty amazing job.

The only think my Flashforge doesn't have is the heated print bed. I wish it had that so I could do ABS.

TJ have you watched some videos on that printer? The MP Mini does a pretty amazing job.

The only think my Flashforge doesn't have is the heated print bed. I wish it had that so I could do ABS.
If you are going to get a Monoprice printer signup to their website so you get notices from them. They drop the prices drastically every so often. The Maker Select Pro Ultimate is frequently $250 off. I see it like that at least once a month. Their cheapest tiny one is about $200 and I hear good things on that too. I am happy with mine. It would be nice if it had a self-leveling bed but for the money, it seems to be an amazing deal.
I haven't tried ABS yet but I have good luck with PETG and PLA.

I'm struggling making my own prints. @msinger I sit and stare at those strobon things you make and wish I could figure out how to make something like that myself!
I use 123D Design (now discontinued) to design my models. Tinkercad is another good design application to consider. As for the design process itself, it's a lot of experimenting, tweaking the design and/or printer settings, printing, and then repeating a bunch of times until you get a model that prints perfectly. It can also often be challenging to figure out how to create a model that's able to print in one piece (without supports is best when possible). I like challenges though, so it's a fun process for me.

I use 123D Design (now discontinued) to design my models. Tinkercad is another good design application to consider. As for the design process itself, it's a lot of experimenting, tweaking the design and/or printer settings, printing, and then repeating a bunch of times until you get a model that prints perfectly. It can also often be challenging to figure out how to create a model that's able to print in one piece (without supports is best when possible). I like challenges though, so it's a fun process for me.

I need to just sit and hammer through it. I really want to learn.

TJ the monoprice Mini has some great reviews. Honestly I think I may have went that route for $200 how do you go wrong.

The #1 complaint is the 6' of filament they provide in the box! Lol what do people expect.

Don't waste your time with the mini, I have it . then I bought the maker select. It's a great machine. The biggest problem with the mini is size. Go big or go home. You can find some great mods for the maker select to make it even better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe