DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

45 mins to 4 min video rendering in Davinci Resolve Studio Version..

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Ok, so I have been using the free version of Davinci Resolve for sometime not wanting to pony up the 300+ for the studio version... Well a 10 min 4k 60fps render with h.265 has been taking me 40-50 mins... The studio version allows me to use my graphics card (1080 Ti)... and the same render is now taking 4 mins...

If you have a good graphics card this setting will save you so much time editing.....

1615691386993.png

That is all....

Current computer specs....
Intel i7 6700k over clocked to 4.6 ghz
32 gigs of 3200 Mhz ram
1080 Ti Nvida graphics card...

I don't usually don't experience that much render time, but I have an i7 8700 @3.20Ghz processor and task manager says I now have 48GB ram. IDo you think this setting would help make rendering faster with a GTX 1070 card?

I don't usually don't experience that much render time, but I have an i7 8700 @3.20Ghz processor and task manager says I now have 48GB ram. IDo you think this setting would help make rendering faster with a GTX 1070 card?
yes. but also depends im editing 4k 60 fps and using h265 to reduce video size. other codecs would work better with cpu, maybe?

yes. but also depends im editing 4k 60 fps and using h265 to reduce video size. other codecs would work better with cpu, maybe?
I typically shoot 4k 30fps but with H265. Not as intensive as 60fps, I'm sure. I suspect that is why rendering only takes about 10 minutes or so for a 3 minute presentation. Still, I'd like to have it render faster (because I always miss small stuff and end up re-rendering one or more times after I fix my over-sights).

I typically shoot 4k 30fps but with H265. Not as intensive as 60fps, I'm sure. I suspect that is why rendering only takes about 10 minutes or so for a 3 minute presentation. Still, I'd like to have it render faster (because I always miss small stuff and end up re-rendering one or more times after I fix my over-sights).
You should look into “render in place” in Resolve. Right click a clip on the timeline and then select “render in place.” Choose your export codec as your “render in place” codec when prompted.

It will render that clip and then replace it on the timeline with the rendered version. This way you only render the clip once and if you have to go back and change something else you don’t have to render that clip again.

In the deliver dialogue there is an option that is enabled by default that is “skip reencoding if possible.” This means that if a clip on the timeline has no edits and it is already in the render codec Resolve won’t encode it again it will just append the clip to the render during export which will be the case for the clips you rendered in place. Now you don’t have to spend the time to rerender those clips every tine you export.

If it ends up you need to change something in a clip you already rendered in place, right click the clip on the timeline and choose “deconstruct to original” to get the original clip back on the timeline with all the edits you did to it before you rendered in place.

Once you have exported the final product and you are happy with it you can go in and delete the clips you rendered in place to get that storage space back without deleting the original footage and edits.

I believe it’s only the PC version where GPU isn’t used to accelerate h264/h265 encoding and decoding in the free version. On Mac the only performance upgrade with the studio version is support for multi GPU configurations

I believe it’s only the PC version where GPU isn’t used to accelerate h264/h265 encoding and decoding in the free version. On Mac the only performance upgrade with the studio version is support for multi GPU configurations
I'm sure that's a possibility but cant confirm. All I know is i am very happy my GPU can be used instead of the cpu here... it was limiting my ability to do bigger renders without pulling my hair out...

I have a gaming rig, that's why I don't have a mac for video editing.

I'm sure that's a possibility but cant confirm. All I know is i am very happy my GPU can be used instead of the cpu here... it was limiting my ability to do bigger renders without pulling my hair out...

I have a gaming rig, that's why I don't have a mac for video editing.
Forsure! I actually said that because I thought @vindibona1 had a Mac but I realize now I was wrong about that.

Why was the lead post removed? I also have just recently started to use Resolve 17 Studio for Mavic Air 2 editing and would be interested to read comments, advice and opinions on the software.

Reactions: JoelP
I think it was just the first word of the title that was removed. It does make the title look weird though.
Correct I had said holy cr** lol

It's pretty easy if you want to use gpu for rendering in davince instead of cpu you need the studio version not the free version. Depending on your graphics card capability it could significantly improve rendering speeds.

It's pretty easy if you want to use gpu for rendering in davince instead of cpu you need the studio version not the free version. Depending on your graphics card capability it could significantly improve rendering speeds.
Being able to make use of my RTX 2070 GPU in conjunction with my i9-9900k in DR17 Studio speeds up rendering immensely.

Reactions: VenomXts

Aha! Zapped by the Big Guy! ? I am early days with 17 Studio and the Speed Editor but it has already helped me reduce video file sizes for emailing and making simple transition clips. It is a powerhouse package. I look forward to good things ahead - with patience. Cheers ????

Perhaps I'm missing something from the OP.
I use Wondershare Filmora (it suits me).
I'm lucky enough to have a 1660Ti GPU (from a GTX960).
I rendered a 40 minute 1080p MP4 to MP4 (resync of sound) in little under 3 minutes.
Normally when I'm editing my 4K drone footage my render time is around 1/3rd the run time or less. (So a 3 minute video would take around 1 minute to render).

I would imagine anyone who is lucky enough to own an Nvidia 3xxx series GPU would also render quite quickly.

It all comes down to if the software supports CUDA or not (and of course, if the hardware has it!) and has hardware h264/265 encoders/decoders (most do these days). Those that do have all these things can generally render much quicker.

Perhaps I'm missing something from the OP.
I use Wondershare Filmora (it suits me).
I'm lucky enough to have a 1660Ti GPU (from a GTX960).
I rendered a 40 minute 1080p MP4 to MP4 (resync of sound) in little under 3 minutes.
Normally when I'm editing my 4K drone footage my render time is around 1/3rd the run time or less. (So a 3 minute video would take around 1 minute to render).

I would imagine anyone who is lucky enough to own an Nvidia 3xxx series GPU would also render quite quickly.

It all comes down to if the software supports CUDA or not (and of course, if the hardware has it!) and has hardware h264/265 encoders/decoders (most do these days). Those that do have all these things can generally render much quicker.
I specifically talking about davinci resolve free vs the paid studio version. It is not clear that you can't use gpu rendering in the free version....

I specifically talking about davinci resolve free vs the paid studio version. It is not clear that you can't use gpu rendering in the free version....
If you Google this topic you will find a number of opinions....I always thought the free version did not include GPU processing.....but after reading a number of websites, I could be had on the debate.

What I do know is that the offer late last year for the combination of DR17 Studio and the Speed Editor made me bite the bullet and buy....I have not regretted getting the Studio version and the SE.

If you Google this topic you will find a number of opinions....I always thought the free version did not include GPU processing.....but after reading a number of websites, I could be had on the debate.

What I do know is that the offer late last year for the combination of DR17 Studio and the Speed Editor made me bite the bullet and buy....I have not regretted getting the Studio version and the SE.
How do i buy the studio version? It doesnt say anything in the website that i could just pay a d get a liscens or something.

Reactions: droneloverair
I live in sweden.
Do you get a code in your email after purchase?
I think you have to buy DR17 through a local dealer and they provide the software key....at least that is how it worked here on Toronto. I am pretty sure BM's website doesn't allow buying directly from them.

Reactions: VenomXts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan