DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

I will work on that. :)
This is horribly crude, but here goes. Dimensions are in inches, and approximate. Cut one out of cardboard and fiddle with it to get it the way you like. The 4 1/2 depth might be more than necessary. With the top edge of the phone pushed as far up under the controller as it goes, if you stick the 3/4 x 2 1/2 tab into the space between the phone and the controller, you can push the hood toward the screen until the angled edges on the side fit between the arms and contact the screen. There should be enough interference with the lower edge of the controller to hold it in place. The angle keeps your face from reflecting in the screen and gives more space around the sticks, but also makes it harder to reach the screen with your finger. I use a stylus.
I'm not good at building things by hand. That's why God made machine tools.
IMG_0328.JPG Shade 1.png

This is horribly crude, but here goes. Dimensions are in inches, and approximate. Cut one out of cardboard and fiddle with it to get it the way you like. The 4 1/2 depth might be more than necessary. With the top edge of the phone pushed as far up under the controller as it goes, if you stick the 3/4 x 2 1/2 tab into the space between the phone and the controller, you can push the hood toward the screen until the angled edges on the side fit between the arms and contact the screen. There should be enough interference with the lower edge of the controller to hold it in place. The angle keeps your face from reflecting in the screen and gives more space around the sticks, but also makes it harder to reach the screen with your finger. I use a stylus.
I'm not good at building things by hand. That's why God made machine tools.
View attachment 28338 View attachment 28342
only problem is needing to work the phone controls when needed,this is like one of my earlier trys

I picked up a Huawei Ascend 2 for 80 bucks. nice phone.
second time i tried to use it, in the DJI go4 app, no mapping. Records home point but i cant see the map.
GPS is on and google maps works. Any ideas?

second time i tried to use it, in the DJI go4 app, no mapping. Records home point but i cant see the map.
Is your phone connected to the Internet? If not, did you cache the maps in DJI GO?

How doe the phone PERFORM (processor/lag) compared to ipad's and other things? I'm brand new to this and don't mind tinkering -- just want to know if this is about $49 vs $249, or if it really does a good job etc.

Works great
Mine never failed or dropped out of app
Much brighter than iPhone

I like it so much I got 2 more

My 2 cents

Reactions: Dragonfly
Works great
Mine never failed or dropped out of app
Much brighter than iPhone

I like it so much I got 2 more

My 2 cents

Great thanks. I ordered one m'self, and someone I work with who has a phantom was shocked i'd use android vs iOS and he said an ipad with the A9X chip (5th gen?) was his favorite thing to use.

Nice simple and disposable. Send cut out specs.
sorry so slow getting this out,im like exlax,im slow but sure
in the diagram,you will notice a x1 and a x2,i gave measurements for x1 as it fits the arms better,
if your picky as i am youll likely use the first cut to make a finished shade as i plan doing one i find the right material to use
this one fits well measure.jpg enough i can lift the shade and shake without coming loose

I am new to drones, but my DJI Mavic Pro is currently in shipment to my home. Thanks to Xtreme Drone Pilot for starting this excellent thread.

I bought the Huawei Elate 4G XTE from Best Buy, and it arrives tomorrow. :)

I used my first android device to fly the Mavic today.

I couldn't get quickshots to work. I'm running the modded .0000 FW and Go4 version .15

I select the flight modes button then tap the quickshot button and it returns me to the video feed (main) screen. Now I have the quickshot button on the left instead of the flight mode button.

Any ideas?

I have used the quickshot features with this AC FW on iOS but with Go4 .18

Is go4 .18 OK on android now?
You are in Quickshot mode on Android, you now have to draw a box on screen to bring up the 3 xtra menus of which Quick shot you want. Select the Quickshot and then depending on which one you choose control option will show at bottom to adjust distance etc or on side to adjust flight parameters of Quickshot.
But you must first draw that box on screen or around subject while in Quickshot mode for Quickshot selection to show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Youser
I'm curious too…

So we juz put the phone where the connector on the right to make the "follow me" function work? Am I correct?
Yes and make sure Wunderphones GPS is turned on of course. I slide my Wunderphone down in the arms so connection is just below arm and I can also get at volume buttons and on off easier.
450d099396ab3132c295be2263b54a20.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone please confirm if you get the number of satellites shown on the app for Android?
For Android and Wunderphone download from playstore
GPSTest and you will see all the info on sats that your phone is receiving.
This pic inside house.
20b9f47a5f3d6fa94886942fac6d0b39.jpg

Although this is what your phones GPS unit is receiving it is NOT what your Mavic is receiving and Mavics GPS although US and GLONASS is not the greatest GPS receiver.
The Wunderphones GPS is faster and more sensitive than Mavics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spud
I picked up a Huawei Ascend 2 for 80 bucks. nice phone.
GPS is on and google maps works. Any ideas?
If you using Go V.18 or .22 then you can no longer download the HERE maps as DJI have stopped using them due to server problems, however with Go V.22 in the settings should be a new switch on page of cache to SD to try the new Google maps. Switch this on and you can stream the new maps and can cache small areas but you cannot download whole country or states like you could with the HERE maps.
You can also downgrade to Go4 V.15 then in settings load/cache the HERE maps for your Country/State if US then upgrade to V.22 and still have the use if HERE maps.

Last edited:
[...] with Go V.22 in the settings should be a new switch on page of cache to SD to try the new Google maps.
Yes, I read this too.
But I do not have this Beta option available using 4.1.22 (472-Google play)
Could someone with this feature available provide a link to his 4.1.22 APK?...I've already posted earlier on a dedicated thread and never got a feedback.

The only thing ive found so far is WP must be turned up other way in RC if you want to use the follow me mode and the compass for the RADAR.
This is due to Phone compass is affected by the RC hall affect of stick magnet being to close so WP needs to be rotated to eliminate this.

Thanks for the head-up (cannot try just now)
That's a bit of a bummer....Using the left side USB cable is more flush....
Anyone else confirming the issue?

But where in DJI GO4 does it say, "cache maps?"
You'll only see that setting on Apple devices. When using an Android device, it's enabled by default.

Reactions: Dragonfly
$89 is the current price at Walmart/Amazon/Jet. I see a few on eBay for $79.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willsmatt