DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Couldn't take it anymore, just ordered one, here on the 7th. You say I'll see it better ( brighter ) than iPad air 2 ? Even not will be way more portable.
Mine is on the FedEx truck for delivery today. I'll try to remember to compare it to my wife's Air 2 and post a comment. Not much sun yet this morning.

Thanks to Xtreme Drone Pilot and all who contributed to this thread. I ordered my Wunderphone and will pick it up in a few days. I read through the entire thread and I’ve never owned an Android product so I’m a bit nervous about setting this phone up.

I never got into the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram truck thing so I’m going into this opportunity with the same attitude.....as long as it gets me where I need to go I’ll be happy. I’d like to use the Wunderphone as a single purpose dedicated device to fly the Mavic.

That said, is there a single thread or threads that will specifically take us from unboxing the Wunderphone to flying a Mavic. I read about removing the simm card but are there any other steps, cables (what is an OTG cable?) etc that are required. Also any help on downloading Android apps or using the alternative sites would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the work that goes into making this Forum a great resource.
I'll second all of that! I hate to ask any more of him but does Xtreme Drone Pilot do YouTube? This would make a great how-to video. Just don't expect any ad revenue from Apple or Samsung. ;)

(what is an OTG cable?)
ChasD raises a good point. Newbs like me appreciate it when you spell things out. I used to be in the news business, and the rule was spell it out the first time, then use initials for subsequent references. That way if the reader doesn't recognize the initials, he can figure it out by going back just a few lines or paragraphs. Thanks!

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Thanks to Xtreme Drone Pilot and all who contributed to this thread. I ordered my Wunderphone and will pick it up in a few days. I read through the entire thread and I’ve never owned an Android product so I’m a bit nervous about setting this phone up.

I never got into the Chevy vs Ford vs Ram truck thing so I’m going into this opportunity with the same attitude.....as long as it gets me where I need to go I’ll be happy. I’d like to use the Wunderphone as a single purpose dedicated device to fly the Mavic.

That said, is there a single thread or threads that will specifically take us from unboxing the Wunderphone to flying a Mavic. I read about removing the simm card but are there any other steps, cables (what is an OTG cable?) etc that are required. Also any help on downloading Android apps or using the alternative sites would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the work that goes into making this Forum a great resource.

This is a great idea. Personally, I appreciate a little hand holding when it comes to this stuff. Not that I couldn’t figure it out, but I want to make sure it’s done right the first time around.

It's really not an issue, but a great feature, because it allows you to keep the phone permanently in the arms without need to ever charge it (thus avoiding extra tear&wear on USB plug and arms), and you can still make ~8 full flights before needing to charge the RC. I installed my Wunderphone on RC a week ago and never took it off or charged. And never even turned it off, it just sleeps with RC in the drawer dropping at most 1% overnight. It's actually surprising how harmonius everything is, as if Mavic and RC were designed... for the Wunderphone!!! :D

OK, I'm trying to wrap around this as a positive.

XDP, what RC connection and cable are you using for the phone? I'm definitely open to the idea of keeping the MP and Spark RC's stored assembled and ready to rock.

The wife's Wunderphone still hasn't shipped from WM.com :( MP and Spark are happy:)......

OK, I'm trying to wrap around this as a positive.

XDP, what RC connection and cable are you using for the phone? I'm definitely open to the idea of keeping the MP and Spark RC's stored assembled and ready to rock.

The wife's Wunderphone still hasn't shipped from WM.com :( MP and Spark are happy:)......

I have had more trouble with shipping from WM this year than ever. There always seems to be some sort of delay, or missed delivery date...It’s getting quite aggravating. This has been happening even when shipping to the store for pick up.

ChasD raises a good point. Newbs like me appreciate it when you spell things out. I used to be in the news business, and the rule was spell it out the first time, then use initials for subsequent references. That way if the reader doesn't recognize the initials, he can figure it out by going back just a few lines or paragraphs. Thanks!

OTG cable is used between the mobile device and SPARK controller - not applicable for the Mavic. I own both and bought two of these phones as dedicated mobile devices for each, thus the mention.

USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated to USB OTG or just OTG, is a specification first used in late 2001 that allows USB devices, such as tablets or smartphones, to act as a host, allowing other USB devices, such as USB flash drives, digital cameras, mice or keyboards, to be attached to them. Use of USB OTG allows those devices to switch back and forth between the roles of host and device. For instance, a mobile phone may read from removable media as the host device, but present itself as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a host computer.

I have watched this thread daily and I'd love to buy this phone but honestly I can't think of what I'd use it for. I already use my iPad 4 for my Mavic and I already have 4 tablets in the house. If I could just justify having another android device in some practical way, I'd get one too. Are any of you using it for something other than the Mavic? I'm afraid if I buy it, it will be a $49 device that never gets used.

just received,anyone have trouble getting sim card out,can't find tool with phone?

Just opened mine and I could not find the supposedly included, phone sim pin either. Looked through everything twice and on the floor, but no pin included unless someone can point me to where I should be looking in the packaging. I used a small safety pin in the end, it required firm but not hard, push and then the tray slid out slightly. It seemed a little stiff for me and I gently pulled and it came out further. Then I saw the empty tray and thought they also forgot the AT&T SIM card but then I pulled it out even further and the SIM card came out, which was in the next tray section, and fell on the floor. So keep gently pulling that stiff tray and you will get it open. It's charging right now, came at 61% charged.

I have watched this thread daily and I'd love to buy this phone but honestly I can't think of what I'd use it for. I already use my iPad 4 for my Mavic and I already have 4 tablets in the house. If I could just justify having another android device in some practical way, I'd get one too. Are any of you using it for something other than the Mavic? I'm afraid if I buy it, it will be a $49 device that never gets used.
Light weight
Very bright screen
No mount needed
More comfortable to use in the arms than a larger tablet
Smaller kit to travel or hike with
Great battery life

I won't be using mine for anything else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly