DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

492 ft. altitude limit!

I cannot see my drone 1640.42 feet away from me, so it's a moot point for me.

Agreed, but my point was not that you would necessarily fly at that height, but rather that it is inconsistent to object that DJI doesn't implement LAANC grid heights in the Geo system. Most complaints here are about DJI being to restrictive. It's pretty clear that some people just love to complain about every little detail that they can find fault with.

Except that it is wrong in that the DJI limit is above the _take of point_ and any 400' law is either above ground level or above/near a structure.

To a lesser point, I can't see anyone complaining even if the limit by DJI is more then the law allows (as Sar points out). But again, that is not what applies here.
As a debate coach once told me, all analogies limp. Otherwise they are just restatements of the proposition which they are attempting to clarify. That said, I see your point about the different applications of the AGL point of reference. Thank you, tcope. This forum is nothing if not thorough!

OK, thanks to your input I have a clearer idea how Emperor DJI inserted a contra-FAA height limit. So problem number two still remains. How do I clear this message off the screen of my device, in this case, an Ipad? Is there a hidden blue circle to click on, a secret code? I have tried clicking and double clicking and dragging with no success.

1) That's not a contra-FAA limit. It's giving you the same limit as the FAA has imposed on that section. 492' AGL is a HARD limit which means even if you're flying over/near a structure (which allows Part 107 to potentially go higher) the limit is set at 492'. Part 107 "could" fly 400' over a tower/structure (if within 400' of it). So a 100' tall tower Part 107 "could" go up to 500'AGL and still be within the law but... this HARD limit restricts that to an absolute 492'AGL. This is also constant for the FAA Airspace Grids and any FAA authorization that is granted. Those altitudes are ABSOLUTE and can not be "Added to a structure".

2) You'll have to post a screen shot to know for sure but often times it's a very light grey/blue dot that you have to click to ACCEPT the terms. Very hard to see especially in bright daylight.

1) That's not a contra-FAA limit. It's giving you the same limit as the FAA has imposed on that section. 492' AGL is a HARD limit which means even if you're flying over/near a structure (which allows Part 107 to potentially go higher) the limit is set at 492'. Part 107 "could" fly 400' over a tower/structure (if within 400' of it). So a 100' tall tower Part 107 "could" go up to 500'AGL and still be within the law but... this HARD limit restricts that to an absolute 492'AGL. This is also constant for the FAA Airspace Grids and any FAA authorization that is granted. Those altitudes are ABSOLUTE and can not be "Added to a structure".

2) You'll have to post a screen shot to know for sure but often times it's a very light grey/blue dot that you have to click to ACCEPT the terms. Very hard to see especially in bright daylight.
OK. Now I understand, the hard limit applies in the bow tie zone, right?
And now that I'm here, there must be other folks who have seen the message. How did you get rid of it?

OK. Now I understand, the hard limit applies in the bow tie zone, right?
And now that I'm here, there must be other folks who have seen the message. How did you get rid of it?

If I recall correctly it's the same as any of the other Geo zone warnings - check the acknowledged box (or circle, depending on Android or iOS) and then press the OK button.

Most messages in the DJI Go 4 app have an "X" in the upper right-hand corner to tap to close. I'm not sure about this one, but I'm thinking that it should be the same.

In the UK, it is always 400Ft.
Drones must not be flown over a maximum height of 400ft, no more than 500m from you horizontally, and must always remain within sight. Drones must be flown 150m away or more from congested areas, unless special permission is granted.

Reactions: Gazmg
Are those "bowties what the FAA calls Class E airspace?

Are those "bowties what the FAA calls Class E airspace?
No. They are much larger areas that are common flight paths into airports. DJI has electively added these areas to their Geomap and placed their own altitude limits on them.

Reactions: JAW
I live right on the edge of one of these zones. When I take off from my house, I get the 492’ altitude limit. I can fly away 200’ away and I’m out of it and it goes back to in flight gps.

Today I went to a location more than five miles away from our local Class D airport. When I got ready to go, the GO 4 screen on my Ipad said, "Restricted Zone, Airport, Height limit 492 feet" (may not be the exact words). I could not get the words off my screen. So two questions: 1) where the heck does the 492 feet idea come from, 2) how can I clear the message.
I have enough weird things going on with my system so I won't even ask how the airport gets into the picture.
I had a similar problem. Click and almost invisible x in the bottom right side of the announcement

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt