DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from any airport HELP

495bigjoe

Reactions
Ok I'm really confused
Transport Canada Rules for flying a drone 250kg, and up. Are NOT suppose to fly:

• 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from any airport.
  • 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters.
I live more than 10 KM from any airport, and 6 KM from any heliports or aerodromes.
I have measured the distances from my house to any airports using google maps and other measuring apps.

I live where the star is on the map provided - I’m live more than the 5.6km or 3 nautical miles ! What is preventing me from flying aside from buildings , people, vehicles etc....

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.45.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.45.18 AM.png
    727.1 KB · Views: 27
...What is preventing me from flying aside from buildings , people, vehicles etc....
The circle originating at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport on your map shows 5 nautical miles, not 3, so that might be adding to the confusion. Is the app not allowing you to fly? The reasons you mention are enough to keep it over your own property but I am curious if something besides good sense is not letting you fly in your crowded neighborhood. I would find a park (if it is allowed) for close flights and get out of town for longer ones. It looks like there is a lot of flat open terrain within a fairly short drive of you.

The circle originating at John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport on your map shows 5 nautical miles, not 3, so that might be adding to the confusion. Is the app not allowing you to fly? The reasons you mention are enough to keep it over your own property but I am curious if something besides good sense is not letting you fly in your crowded neighborhood. I would find a park (if it is allowed) for close flights and get out of town for longer ones. It looks like there is a lot of flat open terrain within a fairly short drive of you.

When I fly my Mavic Air the dji go 4 app says I’m in a class D area.
John C. Munro Hamilton International airport is approximately 10km from my house. Yes I can drive to some open space around my area. I’m just confused as to why I could not fly the drone in a park around my house. Transport Canada’s interactive map shows I’m not aloud to fly.
How ever when I do a nautical circle of 5.6km or 3mile originating from John C. Munro airport , I’m far enough.
So why is transport Canada showing a 5mile nautical ? It’s supposed to be only a 3 nautical mile ??

Sorry to be of no help but I am not familiar with Canada's rules. It looks like you are in a bad spot, being in range of a medical center heliport and a seaplane base. Perhaps someone more informative will chime in.

Sorry to be of no help but I am not familiar with Canada's rules. It looks like you are in a bad spot, being in range of a medical center heliport and a seaplane base. Perhaps someone more informative will chime in.

Thank you very much for trying. I have contacted transport Canada via email, and tried calling them today. I have not received any information back yet. I’m hoping somebody on the form might be able to assist me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78