DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50 seconds left meant zero

Aww, I miss lawn darts. I eventually want to build my own set. First I gotta get a lawn though.
True story: Years ago a friend in my neighborhood was playing lawn darts in his backyard with his dad. This was after they were banned from being sold, but not recalled. He took one right in his eye, which he lost. He was back to school just two weeks later, glass eye and all. In "if given lemons make lemonade" fashion he charged $1 to take out that glass eye, and was not short of customers.

True story: Years ago a friend in my neighborhood was playing lawn darts in his backyard with his dad. This was after they were banned from being sold, but not recalled. He took one right in his eye, which he lost. He was back to school just two weeks later, glass eye and all. In "if given lemons make lemonade" fashion he charged $1 to take out that glass eye, and was not short of customers.

I have to admit, I was one of those children who got bored with traditional lawn darts and played the old “lets throw it straight up in the air and run away game”. I somehow lived to tell about it and have had a Mavic Pro for a little less than two years now. I’ve come **** close to it not coming back due to head winds so I’m very cautious of that now. I also am much more cognizant if my return path and try to find a path that will allow me to ditch it and find it if necessary. And I certainly have tried not being over water beyond 30% without a clear path home.

That all said, early on when I got my Mavic I did do some risky things out of excitement to fly it, not thinking well about the potential consequences. Luckily my bird survived long enough for me to gain some experience and wisdom-but much of it was sheer luck.

Most importantly I have State Farm insurance for if I’m ever stupid enough to try the old “let’s throw it straight up in the air and run away” game with my drone!

Z

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to fly my drone home against the wind with even 5 minutes battery remaining lol what goes through these people's heads I really wanna know..

Reactions: MavicJohn85
I have to agree. As a fairly new member of this group, even though I am a somewhat seasoned pilot and have my part 107, I'd be hesitant to post an issue I was dealing with. I'd be annoyed by all the negative commentary. We all were new at this once. Just because you have some time under your belt flying these birds, it doesn't mean you know it all, nor are you immune to mistakes.

Reactions: Soonerdrone
Interesting thread indeed. Still in the air flying with only 1 minute of battery left. Amazing . I occasionally read about airplanes that crash or emergency land on a road or in a field after running out of fuel. I've always wondered "How in the crap does that EVER happen?" These kind of pilots I guess

It sucks that you lost your drone, I feel for ya. As for the negative comments, it sucks to hear it, but actually, don't ignore it, and this applies to everyone boasting about flying their drones to the battery limit like it's something cool that seasoned pilots do... No, they don't, and if you're a first timer then you should pay extra attention to not doing stupid things, and you shouldn't have posted this thread unless you expected criticism, hopefully constructive criticism.

For one, don't ever do this in a populated area, you can put people and property in danger.

Secondly, don't ever do this in a natural area, i.e.: forest, rivers, mountains... Not only is it harder to find it, but you have a risk of starting a fire, or, now polluting a river with a LiPo battery.

Lastly, take some time to understand LiPo batteries. When you fly to "the limit" draining them you're also killing the life of your battery significantly, a few flights in and it's trash.

It's not safe, it's not good for the environment, puts the hobby in danger with more regulations when this type of stuff happens, and it's not smart.

Fly safe and smart.

Again, sorry for your lost drone.

I have to agree. As a fairly new member of this group, even though I am a somewhat seasoned pilot and have my part 107, I'd be hesitant to post an issue I was dealing with. I'd be annoyed by all the negative commentary. We all were new at this once. Just because you have some time under your belt flying these birds, it doesn't mean you know it all, nor are you immune to mistakes.

And yet as a part 107 you can't provide constructive criticism of what happened here? As a part 107 then you know the risks to the drone, people, property, and nature associated with this right? I agree some people shouldn't be as harsh, very true, but you can't expect someone to post this for people just to feel bad and not provide any criticism at all when doing this type of thing could hurt the hobby as a whole with regulations, and more park rangers banning us from flying in beautiful locations because of downed drones caught in the river polluting the environment or causing fire hazards.

the DJI app, allows you to set battery warning options. the Default is a warning at 30% and a return to home landing at 15%. or you can set them on your own, my are set at 25% and 10%. If you fly back to home, when the alarm sounds at 25% you will have plenty of flight time to fly back and land safely, or dont follow the warnings and end up drowning $800 bucks in a river.

Reactions: NoneTheWiser
First-time drone owner. Mavic Air was fighting wind to return home. I was looking for good place to land. App said about 1 min battery remaning. Lost connection over a river. Drone is now asleep with fishies rip.

In future will land with 90 secs remaining.
pro tip for returning in wind... get LOW. prevailing wind at altitude can be much higher.

Reactions: Rockisy
. I'd be annoyed by all the negative commentary.

You mean realistic, constructive criticism? He screwed up from being reckless. Sometimes the truth hurts.

We all were new at this once. Just because you have some time under your belt flying these birds, it doesn't mean you know it all, nor are you immune to mistakes.

I was new to driving a car once but i still planned my journeys and knew not to run it to 1 mile remaining range before getting home. Same for flying.
Some things are just bog standard everyday common sense and unrelated entirely to operating a toy drone. Unfortunately there's a personality type that seems likely to do reckless things like that AND violate other guidelines at the same time.

OP: Sorry, man! Lost drones suck. I've lost two (one expensive, one cheap). I look at everything, good or bad, as a learning experience. And contrary to some snarky comment earlier, you can become an expert drone pilot. Now ask an expert in ANY subject if they've ever made a goof. That's how we learn! :)

Climb back on the quad and give her another go. Well first get another quad.. lol

Reactions: Tony56
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229