DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50 seconds left meant zero

You-cant-fix-stupid.jpg

Probably sums up this thread.

Reactions: Rockisy and Tony56
He thinks he’s Neil Armstrong landing the Eagle with the 30 second fuel callout from mission control LOL.

Reactions: faceman
Thanks for posting this. Not that I'm happy that it happened to you, but it's always helpful reading about stuff like this because the cautionary tales are what make us all fly better. Even though some stuff seems like common sense to some of us, there's bound to be someone who finds it helpful.

I wonder if I can just buy the drone and nothing else?
Yes, you can do that. Your existing accessories are compatible. You'll just need to link your remote controller in DJI GO like this.

DJI does sell just the Mavic Pro aircraft here. It's not a great value though. It would be better to either buy a complete Mavic Pro package and sell the accessories you don't need or to buy a used Mavic Pro from places like the Classifieds here or eBay.

First-time drone owner. Mavic Air was fighting wind to return home. I was looking for good place to land. App said about 1 min battery remaning. Lost connection over a river. Drone is now asleep with fishies rip.

In future will land with 90 secs remaining.
IMO - serves you right dude. Taking chances, like BIG chances, you gambled, you lost :)

First-time drone owner. Mavic Air was fighting wind to return home. I was looking for good place to land. App said about 1 min battery remaning. Lost connection over a river. Drone is now asleep with fishies rip.

In future will land with 90 secs remaining.

Hi there

If you like to go far, I will recommend (from my experience) a M Pro with quiet propellers. This is not about noise, but about lower revs for same output. Be aware that (if you are going to mod it) if build after Oct 2017, this may be more challenging . Another one to consider maybe is the P4 V2 with quiet propellers, if budget is not an issue, personally I have no experience with this one.

I think Air has more issues with wind than other models. Not quite sure why but has to be something in relation to weight/power output ratio. I saw 2 times people having issues bringing the Air home in wind conditions which will be no issue for M Pro.

Wind is where the experience comes in:

For example using Litchi missions: Speed set at 45 km/h. Going out 40 to 45 km /h Coming back (some wind but not excessive, 20-25 km/h ). So double time for return. I now just set the mission speed at max. Either way is going with the wind will go at max speed leaving more time (battery) for the hard part.

If playing with drone flight limits, have emergency landing spots planed in advance. Flying over water long range is not giving you this option. Winds over open water can be more unpredictable as well.

Use Litchi missions with the minimum waypoint number (1.9 km in between, 2 km and 2km+ will issue a warning at mission flight time). Using the mission mode will not waste any battery with unnecessary braking/turning and so on.
Reduce attitude to minimum in advanced aircraft settings. This is how hard the drone fights the wind to maintain exact GPS position. Less fight, more energy left in the battery.
Turn off the landing protection option in downward sensors settings. If the sensors falsely report ground in near proximity this option will trigger auto-landing. There are recorded cases, one over power lines.....

You should be able to get 12+ km flights safely this way. Better luck with your next drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin