DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

65W GaN Charger Worth the Money?

tbw

Reactions
Considering purchasing a 3-Port 65W GaN charger and was wondering if it's worth paying extra $$$ for a GaN charger? Any difference in a GaN charger verses a non GaN charger? Thanks to all for taking a look.

AFAIK mostly to save space, ie GaN reduced the size of powerful bricks quite alot or featured more outlets.
If you don't need them to move around, you can also stick to more traditional, stationary design if they still exist or are cheaper.

Just be sure they come with the same amount of sensors and controls for a proper charge.
Personally, I find them GaN quite useful. 👍

Last edited:
GaN semiconductor devices can replace MOSFET switching transistors in power supplies with slightly increased efficiency, but so what? Efficiency of MOSFET is already pretty high. As a practical matter, you probably won't notice any difference.
More important are all the rest of the features of the power supply/charger, such as device protection etc.

Would I pay extra? No way...

Have a look at this link for further info on GAN technology..
Of course someone who uses GaN will put the best case on it. But that's advertising, not science.

Keep in mind that the BMS within a DJI battery will limit the charging current, and therefore the speed of charging, so any charging speed gain will be marginal at best. More efficient? Yea, save a few cents per year on electricity. More compact? Up to you to figure out how much this is worth. For me, zero. My chargers are small enough.

GaN semiconductor devices can replace MOSFET switching transistors in power supplies with slightly increased efficiency, but so what?
Slight? subjective term, but I doubt many would consider 35% heat generation and volume for equivalent power generation to be "slight". I consider it to be a huge advancement and certainly would pay more for the GaN product.

However, GaN is actually cheaper than MOSFET alternatives and more compact at higher power capacities. I have 130W GaN charger, and absolutely love it. 3 USB-C PD ports two of which can do 100W, the third 65W, and a QC4+ USB-A port.

130W USB C GaN Wall Charger WOTOBEUS PD 100W PPS45W

41Og00IGIjL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Slight? subjective term, but I doubt many would consider 35% heat generation and volume for equivalent power generation to be "slight". I consider it to be a huge advancement and certainly would pay more for the GaN product.

However, GaN is actually cheaper than MOSFET alternatives and more compact at higher power capacities. I have 130W GaN charger, and absolutely love it. 3 USB-C PD ports two of which can do 100W, the third 65W, and a QC4+ USB-A port.

130W USB C GaN Wall Charger WOTOBEUS PD 100W PPS45W

41Og00IGIjL._AC_SY780_.jpg
Which just goes to show that there's more to chargers than just the semiconductors. There's a lot of design factors that go into a device, affecting the efficiency, price and power output.

It's great that we have so many choices. Some are very cost sensitive. Some care more about size. Some care about other features, such as high power output. That's how it should be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs