DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

699 CONTROLLER

RichieFromBoston

Reactions
IS IT WORTH IT WHAT ARE THE REAL ADVATAGES. I like NOT having to use my phone the phone dying etc is just something else to go wrong. but are there any other advatages?? also is follow me or tracking fixable?

From what I have read then I would wait for at least a new firmware update to fix some issues and add some more functionality. Just my opinion based on what I would do feeling the same as you lol.

IS IT WORTH IT WHAT ARE THE REAL ADVATAGES. I like NOT having to use my phone the phone dying etc is just something else to go wrong. but are there any other advatages?? also is follow me or tracking fixable?
What is a 699 controller?

Like most DJI products, the SC was released before it was ready. Firmware/software updates should address issues (hopefully without causing others) over time.

My personal take is while it is handy to have an all-in-one the weakness is if the display fails you are screwed inconvenienced. I like having the three choices of displays I have to use with my MP.

I may just be jealous, as they are pretty cool.

Last edited:
Zero problems with my SC - fast, smooth, bright, and reliable. Updates are fast and simple. It's built really well and I absolutely love it. My only complaint is dedicated cases for it are few and far between.

It's not a big deal if the display were to ever fail (never heard of this happening - far more likely on a smartphone), it is completely separate from the remote transmission. I've turned it off by accident before and it was a non-issue. You can just fly back if flying legally in VLOS or hit the RTH button as normal - you don't lose control of the drone.

I have the SC but I regret it. I'm used to flying with ipads and this device is huge let down. It works on a modified Android Nougat (7.1.2) and the os is extremely limited in its capabilities. Wifi access is a problem, downloading apps is a run around. I've been still unable to install google play to download some of the apps like HD sync for Airdata, or Airdata itself even thru apks. If someone knows a working method, please let me know.
For previous ios users, this controller will feel from the stone ages, so stay away from it, my 2 cents.

I have the SC but I regret it.

Amstar: Do let us know if you decide to sell it so we can have a bidding war. :) Most importantly though, I'm very sorry that you are unhappy with the SC. I too am accustomed to having an iPad as a display so I've been reluctant to jump on the SC band wagon. However, I keep seeing GLOWING reviews from folks so your post was quite a surprise. Based on forum posts I've read, it would seem there are many more people who love the thing than not.

Amstar: Do let us know if you decide to sell it so we can have a bidding war. :) Most importantly though, I'm very sorry that you are unhappy with the SC. I too am accustomed to having an iPad as a display so I've been reluctant to jump on the SC band wagon. However, I keep seeing GLOWING reviews from folks so your post was quite a surprise. Based on forum posts I've read, it would seem there are many more people who love the thing than not.

I don’t know about the “glowing” reviews but if the company which is making the product puts this on its cover, it’s says a lot:
165e86be8d1eff4159cc2762391e4f02.jpg

I don’t know about the “glowing” reviews but if the company which is making the product puts this on its cover, it’s says a lot:
165e86be8d1eff4159cc2762391e4f02.jpg

Well, at least there is something better to look forward to as DJI has said that the Mav 1 controller will soon be compatible with mavic 2.
Meanwhile I’ll root this one, put a custom OS (I think TWRP +oxygen OS is already available for 7.1.2) on it. If that allows 3rd party apps, well I will at least stop griping about it.

I have the SC but I regret it. I'm used to flying with ipads and this device is huge let down. It works on a modified Android Nougat (7.1.2) and the os is extremely limited in its capabilities. Wifi access is a problem, downloading apps is a run around. I've been still unable to install google play to download some of the apps like HD sync for Airdata, or Airdata itself even thru apks. If someone knows a working method, please let me know.
For previous ios users, this controller will feel from the stone ages, so stay away from it, my 2 cents.

You can't compare the SC's OS to a fully functional Android or iOS device - it is less flexible by design. It is intentionally locked down for reliability, speed, and stability and that information was available pre-purchase.

WiFi access is not a problem - it is the same as any other device that requires WiFi, including a $2,000 iPad Pro. If you want to fly with WiFi, you can just use your smartphone and make a hotspot - takes 2 seconds to set up and off you go.

Your complaints don't really have anything to do with iOS vs Android - the SC was specifically designed to function the way it does.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro and Google Pixel 3 XL, and this controller does not feel like it is from the stone ages - it is bright, responsive, and reliable which is everything it is supposed to be. You spend 99% of your time in the DJI app which looks identical on every device including the SC. Keep in mind the price also includes a full controller ($300+ on it's own) - you can't expect a top of the line tablet/smartphone experience for a fraction of the price.

In the meantime you can try going to apkpure.com using the built-in browser and search for the app you want. If you download the app into the downloads folder the SC should let you sideload from there.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
And that’s exactly the point, for a fraction of the price, you can just get the remote and use your own iPad for a top of the line performance.
It’s sad that a company that advertises and admits that iOS is the best platform to use and experience their drones, makes a so-called “smart controller” based on a locked down android os with all its shortcomings for a ridiculous price. No one has so far explained what’s smart about the controller.
They have made and are making enough money, there was no need to leave a bitter taste in their customers mouth.
But I guess just like Apple’s foray now into films after they realized that Android has beaten them to 5G, and that’s pretty much the end, when the competition starts to heat up or the consumer drone market starts to shrivel down, you push out products like these.

It doesn't mean what you think it does, the 'made for iphone' licensing does not mean it's designed specifically for the iphone despite what they claim. It's a program offered by Apple for device manufacturers to license their products as being officially compatible with Apple, that's all as opposed to third party devices which are not 'made for Apple' are not guaranteed to work with Apple products. There is no similar rival certification system for Android otherwise you'd likely see exactly the same claim for Android. Bear in mind that the Mavic itself runs Android as do all the DJI products (Crystal Sky, Smart Controller, P4P+) so DJI are far more heavily involved with Android these days than IOS.

The comments above equating the smart controller to Android are misleading, the problems they are encountering are issues with the way DJI have implemented Android on the smart controller not Android issues. Any standard Android phone or tablet would not have any of those issues as they're not locked down in that way.

I haven't had a single issue with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and the Mavic 2 pro in addition to it being a much higher spec than similar Apple devices. The Android device market is a huge one and there are some devices that don't work well with DJI but there are Android devices that work just as well as IOS devices despite the constant 'you must buy an ipad mini' sentiments on this forum.

And that’s exactly the point, for a fraction of the price, you can just get the remote and use your own iPad for a top of the line performance.
It’s sad that a company that advertises and admits that iOS is the best platform to use and experience their drones, makes a so-called “smart controller” based on a locked down android os with all its shortcomings for a ridiculous price. No one has so far explained what’s smart about the controller.
They have made and are making enough money, there was no need to leave a bitter taste in their customers mouth.
But I guess just like Apple’s foray now into films after they realized that Android has beaten them to 5G, and that’s pretty much the end, when the competition starts to heat up or the consumer drone market starts to shrivel down, you push out products like these.

The experience in the Go4 app is the same on a $2000 iPad Pro or the SC. The SC is brighter, the iPad is bigger. It doesn't have to be an iPad either, there are lots of excellent Android tablets of various sizes that work beautifully. The point of the SC is convenience and compactness. There is no performance advantage with an iPad that you can realize in the GO4 app and it very much depends on exactly which iPad you're using (many are too slow). Again, your complaints have nothing really to do with Android vs iOS. What people try to do all the time, (not saying you are) especially on these forums, is compare an $80 Android tablet to a $500 iPad - if they compare similarly priced devices, the difference disappears. Obviously if you attach a giant iPad to the normal controller the screen is bigger - that isn't automatically better. Personally I would never want to carry that around.

DJI does not advertise that iOS is the best platform to my knowledge - do you have a link to an objective, non-speculative source for that? If you're talking about the symbol on the box it doesn't mean what you think it means. Anecdotally speaking, the only issues I have ever had with the DJI app have been on an iPhone 8. I have had no problems with my Android devices and battery life is better.

The SC price is actually a bargain. A Mavic 1 remote is $300 USD, I assume a Mavic 2 remote will be slightly more when it becomes available through DJI direct. A 5.5" Crystal Sky display is $469. Not only is the SC cheaper (especially if bought as a bundle with the Mavic 2), but it is integrated beautifully with better battery life, better brightness, and better temperature resistance than any currently available controller/iPad combination. One thing DJI could have done is offered a trade-in program for existing remotes, but if they are selling every one they make there is no incentive to do that from a marketing perspective.

DJI can barely keep up to SC sales if how hard they are to get is any indication - that suggests if anything they are priced below what the market would bear. I would have paid more for it personally, but I can only speak for myself - I much prefer it to any smartphone or tablet combination with the standard remote.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1