DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

.700 is here "The-f-word" There is new firmware once again!

To those people thinking a firmware upgrade has 'changed nothing' for them always keep this in mind:

There are people experiencing flyaways, extreme drifts, straight drops and many other problems leading to unexpected behaviour and often to crashes.
The logs of those crashes more often than not get to DJI where they are analysed and where they try to understand what went wrong.

If DJI identifies bugs leading to these problems it is in their interest to fix these bugs and include the fixes in a new software version. They will probably not tell us what they fixed because this is both 'loss of face' as well as it opens them to litigation. So they fix, shut up and release a new firmware.

So when you are not upgrading you might miss out on a lot of unknown fixes which might save your drone from catastrophy!

Why does everybody use DJI assistant to upgrade firmware? I've never even downloaded it.

All of my firmware updates have been done over the air with no problems whatsoever. I've also never calibrated anything before or after an update.

Are people breaking things by unnecessarily and incorrectly calibrating?
There are lots if threads on calibrating/not calibrating. You might be surprised how many have never calibrated and have had no problems, myself included.
As for assistant, I've never used it for updates either. Mine have always been done fine with wifi and go4.

Just did the Upgrade and a Testflight. Every Thing is ok.

I'm involved in Softwaredevelopement in my Profession and confirm, that there is no Software without Issues. And the more complex a SW is the higher is the Risk to build new Issues when fixing and expanding Functionality. And this has nothing to do with faulty Developers ;)

...So when you are not upgrading you might miss out on a lot of unknown fixes which might save your drone from catastrophy!
I agree with you 100%. And I have always done this....
until I started getting NFZ errors which grounded me and a fluky gimbal.
I want to have the latest firmware for the reasons you stated and more, but I was losing more functionality than I was gaining. ??!?

Reactions: Wingo
For some people (myself included), firmwares over Wi-Fi don't work properly.
When I did my first update after purchase from 550 to 600, I had the Mavic for one day... didn't really know about the assistant and kept trying to update. The downloads kept failing... after about 10 attempts, finally the download went through and the update succeeded. But I can imagine that if you are aware of the assistant, you're not going to try 10 times, but after 1 or 2 you just try to do it with the assistant :)

To be honest I have done all my updates through the app over wifi without any issues.

I had issues with updating only the day I got the mavic.. tried it with several devices but nothing helped.. failed, every time. Then I've formatted the SD card and it fixed it :) since then, no issues with the updates.

Reactions: Saback
I updated yesterday over wifi with no issues at all, as always. Flew two batteries with no issues. It may be just me but my horizon tilt seems better. It as off 6 degrees now it's down to about one.

So is it safe to say that leaving the lock on will not harm the gimble because it will not try to move until you take off the lock.

I wouldn't say it's safe. I believe the gimble tries to move whether the clamp is on or not. It just senses when the gimble doesn't do its normal startup calibration and warns you in the software. Any time a motor gets constricted of movement there is potential for damage. That being said, I've left the clamp on a few times and haven't witnessed any damage. I've seen some videos where people have put a red ribbon on the clamp to remind them to take it off.

Soon enough it will be second nature to do a check list before you turn bird on.

At first most forget to take it off.( at least a few times.)

I had issues with updating only the day I got the mavic.. tried it with several devices but nothing helped.. failed, every time. Then I've formatted the SD card and it fixed it :) since then, no issues with the updates.
It's far from conclusive and I'm not even sure the micro SD card is used during updates, but I've never had a bad update (I always update). The only glitch I've had is the NFZ limit that goes away after a few seconds before take-off. I always format the card after each flight session. My Mavic was born on Nov. 25, 2016 if that helps with manufacturing date problematic trends. I've also only updated through the app over wi-fi.

Most of the replies so far have revolved around the theme of a smooth installation and no obvious bugs. Since most people use the RC to do installations I think the smooth installation part is mostly due to improved loader code in .600 and has little to do with .700

Putting all of that aside what benefit have you gained using .700??

I see people who had gimbal issues and other problems with .500/.550/.600 saying the problem has gone away with .700 but many say they also never had the problem with .400

Are there any new features or is this really just .400 with fixed wing mode a NFZ nanny and the same range loss just like the previous versions?

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: dslater
I never had a range loss in the intermediate versions, so...
I've done a flight and all was fine. On .600 it often did some weird stuff on startup (e.g. "status error", fixed by a reboot) and now it was all normal. A single flight is not significant though.

Friend of mine has his that will never actually confirm the end of the update process (tried 2x with phone, 2x with Mac assistant), it doesn't reconnect at the end of the update, seems to work fine though.

Last edited:
Doubtful if you have the dreaded drunken horizon.

Thanks Sean, after watching the comparison between the two drones and how they hold the horizon, I realized mine is within normal limits. Right now my gimbal roll adjust is set at +1.0 and is dead horizontal with very slight movement during yawing and a bit more flying sideways, nothing near what you experienced with your first Mavic.

Reactions: SeanOzz
I updated my FW yesterday and I had all kinds of problems. I am on an Android and I have had very few issues with 550 or 600, but right out of the gate with 700 I could not get my phone to connect through the cable. I tried a different cable, I tried coming off the lower USB port rather than the micro connection. I finally got it to connect by going back to my factor angle cable that came with my MP. Once connected though it was hit and miss. It would randomly disconnect, the lag was terrible at times, it kept going into RTH, I couldn't even get it to respond with just using the remote! I finally gave up and downgraded to 400 and everything cleared right up. Actually I am probably just going to stay right where I am with 400 as the NFZ issue went away as well when I reverted back.

If you use the standard USB socket on the RC to connect to your phone/tablet you need to disconnect the angled cable from the side, even if it is not connected to anything. Otherwise the lower port is disabled for data transmission.

Reactions: Apocalypso
Most of the replies so far have revolved around the theme of a smooth installation and no obvious bugs. Since most people use the RC to do installations I think the smooth installation part is mostly due to improved loader code in .600 and has little to do with .700

Putting all of that aside what benefit have you gained using .700??

I see people who had gimbal issues and other problems with .500/.550/.600 saying the problem has gone away with .700 but many say they also never had the problem with .400

Are there any new features or is this really just .400 with fixed wing mode a NFZ nanny and the same range loss as the previous versions?

Rob
Gimbal is noticeably more stable and doesn't stay stuck in a tilt when yawing and pitching.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin