DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the best way to remove no fly zone restrictions from my mavic air? have no intentiions whatsoever on flying into an airport or over a jail, but if im working next to one i need to be able to fly....i survey cell towers and alot of them happen to be near no fly zones...

Depending on what state you're operating in, those restrictions aren't merely "DJI Based". For instance in the state of NC (It's the only state I'm familiar with the local UAS laws etc) you can't fly within 500' (vertically or horizontally) of a Jail, Prison, or otherwise detention facility without the written permission from the AHJ (Agency Having Jurisdiction) over the facility.

What I'm trying to say is that the DJI Geo fencing may not be your only hurdle in this labyrinth of regulations even if your employer has given you instructions to fly in "said" area.

If you have all the required approvals, sometimes your best bet is to utilize an aircraft that doesn't have "Factory Restrictions" to begin with.

Sorry- should have made clear I’m not in US (Australia). Here, the DJI software restrictions overstep local regulations. For example, we do not have restrictions flying around “uncontrolled” airports. DJI puts them on though. This may be an emergency airport in the middle of nowhere, or a helipad on an island - all likely out of phone range etc. for DJI permissions. I was meaning to say, what is the latest way to remove DJI software restrictions for good - so I can make up my own adult mind if I fly in an area or not (in my case using a fly zone app approved by my ur regulator CASA). I recall a software mod that cost €44? I really dislike the DJI limitations: like having a speed limiter put on your car against your will.

Sorry- should have made clear I’m not in US (Australia). Here, the DJI software restrictions overstep local regulations. For example, we do not have restrictions flying around “uncontrolled” airports. DJI puts them on though. This may be an emergency airport in the middle of nowhere, or a helipad on an island - all likely out of phone range etc. for DJI permissions. I was meaning to say, what is the latest way to remove DJI software restrictions for good - so I can make up my own adult mind if I fly in an area or not (in my case using a fly zone app approved by my ur regulator CASA). I recall a software mod that cost €44? I really dislike the DJI limitations: like having a speed limiter put on your car against your will.

The OP is very much in the US which is why I quoted his/her post so that there wouldn't be any confusion.

For your question:
NoLimitDrones "NLD" is one option but that option isn't available for all aircraft.

Reactions: Davros007
The OP is very much in the US which is why I quoted his/her post so that there wouldn't be any confusion.

For your question:
NoLimitDrones "NLD" is one option but that option isn't available for all aircraft.
That’s it!
That might help them at least prevent having to do the whole DJI permissions thing. Then they only need to get local permissions as they say...

Reactions: BigAl07

Can see why in your case that'd be handy.
I fly a lot of remote quite often on 4WD trips, but yet to see any such DJI problem.
Maybe I've been lucky, and yes I do have the latest firmware on the M1P.

In the past I fly very seldom in heli zones and uncontrolled airports in urban places, never had a block, just be prepared to do the CASA / OpenSKy thing (and it's never had to happen) 'Safely land if aircraft are operating in the area'.

For your question:
Sorry - I didn’t at all mean to get off topic from the OP. I didn’t read his/her query as asking about procedure - I read it as they have the same issue as me: that is, geofencing from DJI hindering them when they want to operate legally and DJI is imposing another step and are not a legal entity that should be required to be consulted. Be great if DJI simply had a warning and the choice was up to you - like a red mark on a speedometer.

Can see why in your case that'd be handy.
I fly a lot of remote quite often on 4WD trips, but yet to see any such DJI problem.
Maybe I've been lucky, and yes I do have the latest firmware on the M1P.

In the past I fly very seldom in heli zones and uncontrolled airports in urban places, never had a block, just be prepared to do the CASA / OpenSKy thing (and it's never had to happen) 'Safely land if aircraft are operating in the area'.
Interesting. We have an airport here in Albany that both DJI and the local shire say has a no-fly zone, and needs a permit from DJI. However, I have it in writing from CASA that the shire are incorrect, that, because the airport has no control tower, it is an “uncontrolled airport”. The shire may say you cannot fly from their land land if they like, but you can fly from private land, and even- if you’re stupid - legally fly in the approach lanes. You just cannot cross the airport perimeter fence.
So, say if I lived across the road from this airport, I could quite safely fly my drone around my house - but DJI takes it upon themselves to “play drone god”. Attached is the difference between DJI and OpenSky (the note about staying clear of approach routes is wisdom, not law).
I suspect the OP has some similar issues. Or simply wants to fly Glocks into a gaol... I mean jail!
9594DE77-B812-47DB-8760-851A8015B03C.pngB4B8854D-A64F-4BAB-9FE2-3ED014D3138D.png

Interesting. We have an airport here in Albany that both DJI and the local shire say has a no-fly zone, and needs a permit from DJI. However, I have it in writing from CASA that the shire are incorrect, that, because the airport has no control tower, it is an “uncontrolled airport”. The shire may say you cannot fly from their land land if they like, but you can fly from private land, and even- if you’re stupid - legally fly in the approach lanes. You just cannot cross the airport perimeter fence.
So, say if I lived across the road from this airport, I could quite safely fly my drone around my house - but DJI takes it upon themselves to “play drone god”. Attached is the difference between DJI and OpenSky (the note about staying clear of approach routes is wisdom, not law).

Yep, that's not right.
I see ALH is the largest non controlled airport in the greater southern region, Albany is a pretty large town . . . also noted in google search it is "operated by the City of Albany".

I wonder if they asked for special No Fly somehow, obviously not through CASA by the sounds of it.
DJI must have it listed somehow from some source as controlled.

From what I've seen, we normally just get the above message at busy but uncontrolled light / medium airspaces, this one is from near my brothers where I fly (very very low) sometimes testing something over his 15 acres in SE Qld . . . it's a hospital heliport and occasionally I do hear choppers come in, have never been in the air at the time.
At night I hear Blackhawks, well there's no nav lights at least . . . sometimes Police choppers (it is Logan, lol !).
It shows Heliport warning, plus a Danger Area warning . . .

heli.png

I used to like CIFT, you could click on the place and get info like airport name and contact info sometimes, not that I ever used that.

what is the best way to remove no fly zone restrictions from my mavic air?
To answer the OP's question; self-authorization/unlocking (if available for the particular no-fly zone**) through the DJI FlySafe website or the GO4 app is the ONLY way available for the MA at the moment. NLD hasn't yet cracked the MA's Geo-fencing ("not enough starving hackers" as someone else put it sometime ago). You can self-authorize and unlock blue-authorization zones for a period of 72hrs from the FlySafe website here. I have done it once and it is relatively straight forward. I particularly appreciate the fact that they offer "Scheduled Self-Unlocking" - as in if I am planning to fly within a particular authorization zone next weekend; I can go to the website today and self-unlock the zone for those particular day(s). Yes, DJI's geo-fencing is sometimes irritating, but I certainly appreciate the fact that they offer reasonably convenient ways of flying with in what are otherwise no-fly zones.

Note that self-unlocking is not available for all no-fly zones. Consult the DJI Fly Safe website to see if that option is available for no-fly zones in your area.

And the next best way - to remove them, period?
Removing them is not a good idea. Those restrictions are there for a reason.
When people get a half baked idea that SAFTY systems are for other people, the legal flyers are the ones to suffer. Remember the FAA is watching the UAV world very closely.
If you can't fly within the rules, please find another hobby.

Removing them is not a good idea. Those restrictions are there for a reason.
When people get a half baked idea that SAFTY systems are for other people, the legal flyers are the ones to suffer. Remember the FAA is watching the UAV world very closely.
If you can't fly within the rules, please find another hobby.
Safety*

Reactions: Rockycat
Forgive me please, but I would have thought that as a 107 pilot, you would already know how to accomplish the tasking! I am assuming you are 107 since you stated you survey cell towers. Have you not tried to submit for a waiver request? Perhaps I am on the wrong path.

Forgive me please, but I would have thought that as a 107 pilot, you would already know how to accomplish the tasking! I am assuming you are 107 since you stated you survey cell towers. Have you not tried to submit for a waiver request? Perhaps I am on the wrong path.
There's a difference between submitting 107 waiver to be legal, vs unlocking the DJI product to allow it to fly where normally DJI geofencing would restrict you.

what is the best way to remove no fly zone restrictions from my mavic air? have no intentiions whatsoever on flying into an airport or over a jail, but if im working next to one i need to be able to fly....i survey cell towers and alot of them happen to be near no fly zones...

If they are only near no-fly zones, then what is the problem?

You can do a DJI Custom Unlock. This will allow you to create an unlock for single or multiple locations and time frames. You can request an unlock for up to a maximum radius from specific locked locations. I have a several zones unlocked for all the possible locations I may need to fly in. I set the center of my zones to cover as many of the locked locations as possible. So with my unlocks I an now able to fly in nearly every area of my part of the state without DJI interference. I still use LAANC where needed and fly once the LAANC is approved. And I requested the Unlocks until 1 Oct 2020. Then I will go in and repeat the requests as necessary.

Here is the link. You must signup for a DJI account which you may already have since you fly DJI. And you must have your appropriate authorization for commercial work, such as the 107 Certificate in the US.

If you use this process and obtain your custom unlocks you will be able to fly in AUTHORIZED areas without interference from DJI's Fly Zone Restrictions.

Good Luck and Have many Safe Flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: SALTY MCNULTY
Not 107 just recreational. I work on cell towers and have a drone. Sometimes I use my drone to save my guys a climb and make our job easier.
Ok, I apologize. I mistakenly thought you to be a Part 107 pilot. So, you are a recreational pilot doing 107 work! I hope nothing ever goes wrong on your "survey", those towers could be expensive!
Happy New Year.

Not 107 just recreational. I work on cell towers and have a drone. Sometimes I use my drone to save my guys a climb and make our job easier.

You're not going to like this but... that requires Part 107... no way in the world "using your drone to save your guys and climb and make your job easier" could be anything but a Part 107 gig.Anything else is violating the FARs.

Recreational is for your own personal pleasure and in no way associated with a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw