DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8 MILE DRONE FLIGHT!!! | Mavic 2 Desert Max Range Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an insult to suggest I don't have a $30 pair of binoculars for my spotter to use when I'm flying my $1,300 drone... I know people love being sticklers, but can we just enjoy the desert? <3
Ummmm VLOS can't be "extended" with binocs... only glasses and contacts.

If you can see a large building from 50 miles away, why is it so outrageous to think I can't see that black drone in the blue sky just 4 miles away?

Seriously? A large building compared to a sUAS that weighs under 2lbs?

I don't know what you consider a LARGE building but even a small building is EXPONENTIALLY larger than your sUAS.

M2P - 3.3"h x 3.5"w x 8.5"l Lets' assume spreading the legs out DOUBLE it's total footprint to

3.3"h x 7"w x 17"l and you still expect anyone in their right mind to believe you (or your VO) was able to maintain it visually for 20,000 feet?

You're comparing apples to mud puddles....

If you can see a large building from 50 miles away, why is it so outrageous to think I can't see that black drone in the blue sky just 4 miles away?
Because you can't possibly see something so small at 21,120 feet away. Think about a jet liner at 20,000 feet. You can barely see a large jet much less a small drone with unaided vision.

[
Seriously? A large building compared to a sUAS that weighs under 2lbs?

I don't know what you consider a LARGE building but even a small building is EXPONENTIALLY larger than your sUAS.

M2P - 3.3"h x 3.5"w x 8.5"l Lets' assume spreading the legs out DOUBLE it's total footprint to

3.3"h x 7"w x 17"l and you still expect anyone in their right mind to believe you (or your VO) was able to maintain it visually for 20,000 feet?

You're comparing apples to mud puddles....

Is there a legal threshold or is it to the pilots discretion?

Clearly didn’t read my earlier post, - human eyesight can only discern 1/60 of a degree, which means at 21000 feet (about 4 miles) an 1 arc degree object will be about 370-feet in diameter, which means it would be resolvable if it was at least 6 feet in diameter (1/60th of 370 feet) to the unaided eye.

Last edited:
Clearly didn’t read my earlier post, - human eyesight can only discern 1/60 of a degree, which means at 21000 feet (about 4 miles) an 1 arc degree object will be about 370-feet in diameter, which means it would be resolvable if it was at least 6 feet in diameter (1/60th of 370 feet) to the unaided eye.

I knew I was an alien o_O

You all are typing in outrage to someone who doesn't care about regulations. Don't waste your energy trying to educate this guy and let the FAA spank him properly.

I'm sure someone has already flagged his video to the proper authorities. Just a matter of time before the warrant is issued and YT gives up the guys IP address. He already puts his name out there so that will prob speed things up.

I've seen so many folks get busted via social media that it's almost comical.

OP nice video and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
You all are typing in outrage to someone who doesn't care about regulations. Don't waste your energy trying to educate this guy and let the FAA spank him properly.

I'm sure someone has already flagged his video to the proper authorities. Just a matter of time before the warrant is issued and YT gives up the guys IP address. He already puts his name out there so that will prob speed things up.

Not outraged, just enjoying doing proofs- it’s Friday but I’m not tired of teaching 6th grade math yet! :D

Just please show me the law that says what the exact distance is of how far away from myself I can fly? I could see it so unless there is a law that says I cant go as far as my personal vision, you guys are tripping.

Just please show me the law that says what the exact distance is of how far away from myself I can fly? I could see it so unless there is a law that says I cant go as far as my personal vision, you guys are tripping.

Obviously there isn't a hard limit, and FAA has been relying on pilots to decide how far they can see their drone and still be able to determine the “attitude, altitude, and direction of flight” with just their naked eyes, but they may soon come up with a hard limit if there ever is a major accident caused by a drone being flown beyond true VLOS.

There have been a lot of long distance video flights posted here and on YT that are certainly questionable in terms of VLOS, and it doesn’t help the community if people keep doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astro1
you could NOT!! see it please quit telling us you could see it. its impossible to see the drone with the unaided eye at that distance
The Law is visual line of sight with un aided eye. which you clearly were not able to see it at that distance. Period.

Reactions: Hawkwind and Astro1
A simple thread that just had to descent into a debate about regulations. If DJI decides to limit their drone to 2 miles, ppl will be dumping the Mavics for a different brand. Which some don’t have limits or NFZ.
It’s human nature to want to go further, higher, faster. If it wasn’t so, we’d be walking or using horse drawn carts. Humans aren’t meant to fly, if it was so, we’d be born with wings. But we have thousands of planes flying above us now. We aren’t meant to be in space, cos we can’t breathe up there, but yet we have an international space station orbiting this planet with a few astronauts living there for days.
The OP was out in the desert, not in the middle of the city or next to an airport. People out in the desert do crazy things, like strapping a rocket behind a little tube with tiny wheels trying to break land speed records. Authorities should go out there and stick speed limit signs in the sand everywhere.

It's impossible for any human to have eyes on their Mavic at anything even remotely beyond a few hundred yards or so. To even suggest you (or your VO) had eyes on the aircraft at a few miles is actually an insult to those who watch your videos and read your posts.

Hmm, you seem concerned which is confusing to me, considering your promotion of the range leader board that blatantly disregards VLOS regulations.
Do you or do you not condone beyond VLOS?, I would appreciate a clear response as opposed to usual reaction of [Language Removed by Admin] for pointing out the promotion of illegal actions on this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold the bus! Ive got a solution! Big win win for everyone. DJI needs to start up side business manufacturing these super implantable and zoomable contact lenses! Then we can all see just fine for a few miles at least before having to activate strobes.

Reactions: Astro1
Hmm, you seem concerned which is confusing to me, considering your promotion of the range leader board that blatantly disregards VLOS regulations.
Do you or do you not condone beyond VLOS?, I would appreciate a clear response as opposed to usual reaction of [Language Removed by Admin] for pointing out the promotion of illegal actions on this forum

What in the world are you talking about?

Promotion of the Leader Board? Please point out to where I promoted the Leader Board. I couldn't even tell you the last time I even clicked on the link to it let alone promote it. Show me what you're talking about and I'll be glad to discuss it.

Since you apparently read some of my posts you would think it would seem fairly clear that I am NOT condoning any sUAS operator flying miles away and well beyond VLOS. I go out of my way to follow the current regulations to a "T" even to the fact of not doing work because of it and I expect all sUAS operators to attempt to do the same. I try to "lead by example" and I practice what I preach.

The next time you decide to jump on someone you may want to do some research to make sure you're even remotely accurate in your assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard