DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8 MILE DRONE FLIGHT!!! | Mavic 2 Desert Max Range Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
What desert? I used to live in the Mojave desert just out side of downtown Lancaster. That was in 1985 to 1992 no drones then but we had F14s everywhere and occasional glimpses of the SR 71. We were right next to Edwards Air Force Base
I was going to mention this but it would have been a moot point... its definately not the Simpson desert! MOA’s are everywhere in the Mojave and we have often had low flying jets approaching Mach 1 as well.

I wonder how many of those who post their long out of VLOS flights here and on YT even check sectionals before doing it.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I was going to mention this but it would have been a moot point... its definately not the Simpson desert! MOA’s are everywhere in the Mojave and we have often had low flying jets approaching Mach 1 as well.

I wonder how many of those who post their long out of VLOS flights here and on YT even check sectionals before doing it.
That's pretty much all I use before preflight I have Avare App on my phone or I go to skyvector.com

Reactions: AMann
That's pretty much all I use before preflight I have Avare App on my phone or I go to skyvector.com

...and then there are all those beginners with new drones who don’t know about or how to read a sectional, and those with experience who don’t care to. I have to say though, being a teacher and mentor at my school’s aviation club, there’s no shortage of educational drone blooper videos to share with students learning to be 107 holders. And I have shown several from these forums as well- asking students to identify any issues and to come up with alternative legal and safe approaches for each of them.The students like doing this and it helps make studying the materials more interesting and easier with such great examples.

Last edited:
No way, please dont imply it’s VLOS when it clearly could not be based on this:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing ?
its getting hard to find a post where the Range Police haven’t ruined or bashed the poster ?

its getting hard to find a post where the Range Police haven’t ruined or bashed the poster ?

Thanks for the quoted reference, but I was not “bashing” or labeling anyone with names :rolleyes: ... Anyways, this is is a forum that encourages members to help and guide others to follow the rules and to fly safer (forum rules #15).

Also, hazardous attitudes while flying has been the cause of a lot more regulations, do we really want to see that continue? For example, Senator Lee from Utah has just proposed a bill to allow local authorities to regulate the first 200 feet above somebody’s private property, this you may be trespassing if you fly that low based on local refilations.
Sen. Lee Introduces Drone Integration and Zoning Act
His proposed bill is probably due to the issue of people flying low over peoples homes and other private land and it has made many upset enough to get him and others involved. Won’t that be a nice law if that bill passes the house?

Last edited:
It's an insult to suggest I don't have a $30 pair of binoculars for my spotter to use when I'm flying my $1,300 drone... I know people love being sticklers, but can we just enjoy the desert? <3
Fairly certain use of binoculars is not permitted under VLOS rules because one of the reasons for requiring VLOS is to stay out of the way of other aircraft and narrowing your vision down with binoculars makes your situational awareness poor.

If we can’t fly beyond vlos in the open desert for fun ? then bloody ****!
We all know that “Regulations “ are to prevent idiots flying above people and buildings and we all know that.
To just fly “blind” beyond vlos is one thing but the OP is looking at a video of where he always is which is a ****** site more accurate than what anyone can see visually from the ground even at 2/300 yards. IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Every day you act as Admin on this forum and police what goes on here yet do nothing-nada-zilch to moderate the behaviour on the range leaderboard shows to me either you don't care or you don't have the ( Mod Removed Langage)to stand up and say its illegal and or plain inconsiderate.
All the admin/moderators on this board behave this way.

You come across as very intelligent which sets you above the rest of the team here.

the Hobby Drone community will face ever growing restriction partly because those who have the opportunity to mentor choose to keep schtum when faced with obvious idiocy and incosiderate behaviour, perhaps you are scared of looking uncool

Last edited by a moderator:
"Promotion of the Leader Board? Please point out to where I promoted the Leader Board. I couldn't even tell you the last time I even clicked on the link to it let alone promote it. Show me what you're talking about and I'll be glad to discuss it."

Every day you act as Admin on this forum and police what goes on here yet do nothing-nada-zilch to moderate the behaviour on the range leaderboard shows to me either you don't care or you don't have the balls to stand up and say its illegal and or plain inconsiderate.

You come across as very intelligent which sets you above the rest of the team here.

the Hobby Drone community will face ever growing restriction partly because those who have the opportunity to mentor choose to keep schtum when faced with obvious idiocy and incosiderate behaviour, perhaps you are scared of looking uncool
Its an evolving technology that society and the laws have to catch up with- even flying beyond VLOS was cool back when it started. I was awe inspired by the Team Black Sheep’s Golden Gate Bridge “BLOS” FOV flights back when they posted them and controlled them from over 10 miles away, but now I know better.

For the sake of education and protecting our flying interests, it is worth mentioning possible issues to OP’s, as well as doing it to help others who may not know as well - even if fully knowing there will be those who don’t approve of disapproval...

Last edited:
If we can’t fly beyond vlos in the open desert for fun ? then bloody hell!!
We all know that “Regulations “ are to prevent idiots flying above people and buildings and we all know that.
To just fly “blind” beyond vlos is one thing but the OP is looking at a video of where he always is which is a damned site more accurate than what anyone can see visually from the ground even at 2/300 yards. IMHO
Well said! ?

Reactions: GunsmokeNC
Every day you act as Admin on this forum and police what goes on here yet do nothing-nada-zilch to moderate the behaviour on the range leaderboard shows to me either you don't care or you don't have the ( Mod Removed Langage ) to stand up and say its illegal and or plain inconsiderate.

We are guided (just like every other member on this forum) by a set of Rules/Guidelines. This very one comes into play here:
[15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited. /b]

So don't think that because we "allow" something means we don't frown upon it but we aren't here to play Censor for every infraction we see. If that was the case we wouldn't get anything else done and the forum would have little to no content.

You see something you think violates one of the forums guidelines Report it and we will look into it. You see something you think violates an Aviation Regulation then you report it to the FAA ( there is an 800# and an online form you can fill out anonymously). That's as far as we are going to go. Do not take my being NICE in any way that "I DON'T CARE" or that "I DON'T HAVE THE SPHERES" to do something. I can assure you 100% I very much do on BOTH accounts.

I can assure you that I have been around this industry long enough to see this "Community" go from the fun and free hobby to a highly regulated and often fool heavy endeavor. Do not start preaching to me about mentoring. I don't just "forum" this industry... I live it day in and day out. I dare say I've mentored more hobby pilots in the last year than you have in your whole lifetime.

Looking cool is just a one person's opinnion and how I "look" is absolutely no concern to me.

Reactions: dirkclod

Maybe that should be an indication to many . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard