DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Helpful Hint regarding RID, If you don't want your personal location exposed to the public. Or, even LE for that matter,

Don Testme

Reactions
For retrofit drones, which would use a remote ID “Module”, the only thing people will see is the launch location of the drone, and the location of the drone itself. It will not show the pilot location unless the pilot remains at the launch area.

This was from a 2021 article. I think Vic Moss was quoted in it a few times. New FAA Rules - Will Your Drone Be Tracked if It Flies in the US? | CineD

That snippet I quoted says "retrofit drones" though. I hope it goes for OEM installed ones as well.

So, if you don't want your location known. Take off somewhere you don't care to be, then walk or drive to the new location you piloted your drone.

And then reset your home point!
If you reset your home point, I think RID would change its Take Off location and RID would brodcast that new location. I suspect anyway.

You would have to fly to the new location and hover the drone until you get their..

Or, I wonder, if you just change your home point in the app, will RID broadcast that as the new launch point, Or, does it only transmit where the original takes off point was.

If anyone can tell me what RID would do , if you change your home point, will it broadcast the new point.????

If you reset your home point, I think RID would change its Take Off location and RID would brodcast that new location. I suspect anyway.

You would have to fly to the new location and hover the drone until you get their..

Or, I wonder, if you just change your home point in the app, will RID broadcast that as the new launch point, Or, does it only transmit where the original takes off point was,
If anyone can tell me what RID would do , if you change your home point, will it broadcast the new point.????

I see OP is Ontario. CANADA does not use RID, it’s discussed by TC but it has not been implemented.
But I have to ask, why would you not want TC or the FAA to know where your operating yr drone? This is being done for the safety of the whole flying community including yourself.

I see OP is Ontario. CANADA does not use RID, it’s discussed by TC but it has not been implemented.
But I have to ask, why would you not want TC or the FAA to know where your operating yr drone? This is being done for the safety of the whole flying community including yourself.
This has been long debated. PICs just don't want the general public (not government) knowing where they are operating from. There are too many people who hate drones and have attacked pilots. None have been robbed yet, but that's another thing anti-RID people worry about.

This has been long debated. PICs just don't want the general public (not government) knowing where they are operating from. There are too many people who hate drones and have attacked pilots. None have been robbed yet, but that's another thing anti-RID people worry about.
Maybe. I’ve been operating drones all over Quebec and occassionally in Ontario since 2012 and can only recall one case where a guy shouted something at me & walked away. And one case where a homeowner complained to police because I was flying a noisy Inspire 1 Pro in an urban park at 6:00am. When the 2 burly policemen arrived & strode towards me across the park I thought I was dead meat. The first thing the biggest cop said was “how much did that cost?”, he looked it over with lots of ows and ahs, we chatted and I think they may have said don’t fly yr drone here but I forget. But I’m a very cautious operator, never fly over private property without permission, always register flights through the Drone App and stay away from people. I’ve photographed hundreds of properties for Sothebys & Ads for Agencies without issue.

For retrofit drones, which would use a remote ID “Module”, the only thing people will see is the launch location of the drone, and the location of the drone itself. It will not show the pilot location unless the pilot remains at the launch area.

This was from a 2021 article. I think Vic Moss was quoted in it a few times. New FAA Rules - Will Your Drone Be Tracked if It Flies in the US? | CineD

That snippet I quoted says "retrofit drones" though. I hope it goes for OEM installed ones as well.

So, if you don't want your location known. Take off somewhere you don't care to be, then walk or drive to the new location you piloted your drone.
wut?

pretty difficult to maintain VLOS when you're driving down a highway

Or, I wonder, if you just change your home point in the app, will RID broadcast that as the new launch point, Or, does it only transmit where the original takes off point was.

I think it's a very interesting test to do. The ideal would be to do it with a recent drone that has the RID incorporated and with a drone that has been updated with a module with RID to see if they behave in the same way with the location update in the Drone Scanner App, for example. Very interesting test. Whoever does it, share your experience. Greetings. 👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne