DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A solid suggestion for phone or tab please. A2S

BbqJoe

Reactions
I currently have an iphone 7plus, which is apparently right at the edge of operating capabilities for the DJIfly app.
As a phone, it's a phone, and it works just fine.
I don't always need the latest greatest newest thing when they come out, so I guess I'm a little behind the times, and there's so many things out there.

I really don't like the idea of using my phone with the controller, and would like something dedicated just for flying.
I just picked up a chinesium fake tablet with all the ram, but I guess not the right bits, so the apk DL won't install.

I'd like to find something that will operate both the DJI app, and also Litchi.
A larger screen is highly acceptable as well.

What I don't want, is to drop $1000 on top of the $1300 I spent for the A2S.
Nor of course something that doesn't quite work right and leaves me waving goodbye to my eye in the sky.

Would you folks please help me get dialed in?
Thank you.

Joe

Reactions: Jeff Scheetz
I have an iPad Mini 5 that I replaced my iPhone 7 with and it works fine. They are probably a little cheaper now that the Mini6 has come out.

Reactions: rcourtney671
i did the same thing. Went with a secondhand mini 5, after the whole Android lock out problem recently. Works very well and good screen viewing outdoors (may need a shade if the sun is right behind you). Performance wise the app is a lot snapper on iOS as well

I have an iPad Mini 5 that I replaced my iPhone 7 with and it works fine. They are probably a little cheaper now that the Mini6 has come out.
I realize it won't work with Litchi at the moment (or maybe never) but I did locate a renewed ipad mini 4 with 128g storage +wifi and cellular for a little over $300 on Amazon last night.
I'm going to give it a whirl since it's in DJI's suggestion list.
Thank you for your reply.

Keep an eye on the upcoming Lenovo Legion Tab Y700 and the Samsung Tab S8. Both will in the $500-$700 territory FYI.
You can go for the Tripltek 8 Pro as well for the same price range, but the CPU is very basic for the price.
The brightness is the most important factor, and the Tab will be 400 nits while the T8 PRO is 1200 nits. The CPU is more than enough to be used with the DJI Fly app, Never had any issue

I would not go with the iPad mini 4, alot of people have had issues including me. I sold my mini 4 a bought a used iPad 6th generation, has been working great.

Reactions: RMS001
I would not go with the iPad mini 4, alot of people have had issues including me. I sold my mini 4 a bought a used iPad 6th generation, has been working great.
Well that's just great!
I suppose I can easily return the mini4 unopened.
6th generation what, just Ipad or mini?

I use just a iPad it is a little bigger than the iPad mini's, but many fly with iPad mini 5 and above. I got mine with cellular and wifi, I don't use the cellular but I believe there is some benefit to having it.

If you don't want spend much , look at the M40 TECLAST tablet on Aliexpress , i have an old T10 , and i work fine for me , no so luminous that i wanted , but accept go4 , fly , and litchi .
I use also a Poco X3 NFC witch is not very expansive and works great

Just a quick update, I received the (renewed)mini 4.
Ordered it from Amazon.
Not sure why, but they shipped it overnight fedex to AZ from NY???
Can't beat that!

The weather has been windy as all get out, so I haven't been able to fly for a few days.

I deleted or turned off just about every app on it.
No cloud, no calling, no texting, none of that, this will be used strictly for flying.

I also turned off the flyapp cache.

I finally got a chance to test it yesterday.
I flew two batteries just buzzing around trying to improve my much to be learned yet flying skills, and didn't get any of the CPU warnings or issues that I was having with my Iphone 7+.

So far, so good.

Well, back to the drawing board. The ipad mini 4 started out ok, but today I got the CPU warning.
Bummer.
I was hoping if I turned off all the apps the cpu might not get overloaded, but not so.

I wish I could afford the tripltek but man, that's a lot of money for just something reliable to fly with.
I guess next up is the mini 5 since I ordered a case for the mini 4 that got delivered today.
Supposedly they're the same size.
With the mini 5 will I have to turn off the cache, or can I use it without issue?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom