DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A tough flight in a storm

Good job! Should have switched to Sports mode sooner! Has it survived?
He said that the Mavic survived near the end of video but it needed a new battery. Might want to watch the whole thing.

Truly amazing it flew with that much water blowing into the motors.

Brushless motors have no trouble running completely immersed under water , it's water intrusion in the other electronics such as ESCs and control circuits that can cause trouble . The easiest way for water to enter during flight is through the power button on the battery and the cooling fan behind the gimbal . If the gimbal dome is on then the battery is the weakest link . I've flown on the outskirts of a storm a couple times and the Mavic has gotten wet but landed before the monsoon that one endured ,lol.

Reactions: BigEegit
Holy crap! Great video. The story! The narration! The suspense! Made my night. Thanks for posting, and glad you got your Mavic back. :)

LP

Great video and you got voice of a narrator. Never could have imagined that MP can withstand something like that.
I wonder if the water had entered the aircraft. If it did, Will it trigger corrosion...

CaveDrone are you always an old curmudgeon?
I get impatient when the information is all there. It's like when a teacher answers a question from a student and another student raises his/her hand right after and asks the same question.

The older I get, the less time I have left to live, so I get impatient with redundancy. [emoji12]

So in answer to your kind and respectful question, til recently, I was not an curmudgeon, peace out, Bro

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
No sport mode?
I switched to sport mode after realising that the normal mode could not resist the wind. After that I pushed the RTH-button. Whether these commands ever went through is a good question. I don't see those in the data downloaded at Airdata UAV. My detailed data states "Downlink data connection lost for 479.7 seconds". That is from point 2 minutes and 30 seconds to about 10 min 30 sec of the almost 12 min flight. That is all information I have of those 8 minutes from Airdata.

Mavic might get along with wind speed of <18 meters per second (my max speed record is 68 km/h) without drifting in sport mode. During the first minutes of the storm front wind speed surely exceeded that and my Mavic drifted about 1 kilometer downwind.

Thank you for sharing this. That is a fantastic tale of overcoming the odds. Makes me a very proud Mavic owner.

I was astonished at the durability of Mavic Pro. Yes, I know I was lucky.

No harm was created to people or animal kingdom during this flight. I'm glad about that. But I'm ashamed of my inability to take the copter safely down in time. My only reason to publish this is to warn others that hard winds often begin well before the rainstorm.

Safe flying, friends!

Definitely an anthology movie for the posterity. Great job getting back your bird... If one day of free time happens it will be nice that you publish again this movie with: a) no music OR b) full caption... Because the dubbing is not audible. Is too much power at the music channel and so not enough at your comments channel. Anyway a big Bravo

Thanks for sharing. Amazing how stable the video was with all the chaos going on below.

Once the storm passed, and the wind subsided, did the Mavic return home on it's own? I'm thinking it tried the entire time but couldn't make ground until the wind subsided.

Any update on the battery? Is it officially dead or has it come back. You are lucky it didn't fail mid flight!
Great video, kudos!

Wow our MP are strong and right conditions it can last thru.... thx for sharing a true lesson for us pilots keep flying!!

Wow!!! I will never intentionally do that by any means but now I see how beastie the mavic can be. I'm impressed!

I was astonished at the durability of Mavic Pro. Yes, I know I was lucky.

No harm was created to people or animal kingdom during this flight. I'm glad about that. But I'm ashamed of my inability to take the copter safely down in time. My only reason to publish this is to warn others that hard winds often begin well before the rainstorm.

Safe flying, friends!

Excellent video and story, I enjoyed it very much

Nice post and great story - thanks for sharing. You have a great voice too [emoji1303]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake