DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A video I'm working on to help promote my sister place which will be on the market soon.

• Thread starter Deleted member 117155
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117155

Working on a promo video for my sister's real estate listing. The drone footage is a little "wiggly" especially coming up to the door.

No music or voiceover yet. My sister's a professional voice actor so at least that part will be "professional".

The opening scenes are great with the gates opening.
Inviting people in.

I would extend that with a low 'drive' up the driveway with the drone, kind of gives them the feeling of them coming home . . . then as you approach the house rise a bit, stop, then do a transition with a helix shot around part of the home.
Or, approach almost up to the garage door, then pull up and over a bit, then transition to a nice pull back shot over the home to the other side of the structure.

Seriously, there are dozens of ways to shoot such footage, so do what you and your sister like, and I'm sure it will work out ok.

Good luck with it, maybe post up the finished footage here in the post for interest later.

I tried flying my MM around that gate but I think there's too much metal so the drone flies a bit erratic. I know when the welder was working on it he was complaining that the pipe was magnetized and difficult to weld. As a matter of fact a screwdriver sticks to the pipe.

I ended up doing that shot with my phone and an Osmo Gimble. Might just do that shot over and see if I can get a better clip.

This is all brand new to me but I'm learning. Keeps an oldtimer like me sharp.

Reactions: Gindra
Too long real estate videos should be about 45 seconds. Studies show people won’t look much beyond that.
The idea is to intrigue them enough so they’ll come look at the house. Sometimes less is more

I don't know what software you are using for editing but does it have a feature to help eliminate the "wiggly". I use VSDC and it has a video stabilization feature

The drama and hook are the unique exterior !
Start by showing it as if you were driving in for the first time
except from 50ft to 100 ft high .you decide how high looks good. I would start with an areal shot showing the gate with the house in the background then fly towards the house like you were driving up the driveway. til ithe house was in full screen . Then circle the house and fly into the front door . Then enter the house with the Pocket. Then tour the inside.
J M H O

I don't know what software you are using for editing but does it have a feature to help eliminate the "wiggly". I use VSDC and it has a video stabilization feature
That is definitely something I need to figure out.

Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on why that happens. It could have something to do with not having the AE locked. Maybe the temperature - it was a tad nippy - 0°C. Some say that a ND filter helps by slowing down the shutter speed and thereby adding a bit of blur.

Unfortunately my ND filter order is on the slow boat from China.

I'm tenacious so I'm pretty certain I'll eventually get it figured out.

In the meantime I'll scrutinize my editing software - Corel VideoStudio Ultimate -and see if there's a fix there.

Thanks for all the feedback, this is only the third video I've ever done.

One thing I've discovered is that a high horsepower computer would sure make the editing a LOT less tedious!

Too long real estate videos should be about 45 seconds. Studies show people won’t look much beyond that.
The idea is to intrigue them enough so they’ll come look at the house. Sometimes less is more
Thanks for the feedback. Might have to get ruthless with the cuts. :)

Ha, how unusual . . . best to keep away a bit for sure then.
You could osmo to 20' or so inside the gate, then take over with the mini, just a thought.
All the best with the project.
A lovely property too.
I would much rather be doing this mid-spring instead of the dead of winter. Oh well - you do your best with the cards you're dealt.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
@Fred Garvin recommended the book How To Shoot Video That Doesn't Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. Based on his recommendation I bought the book and found it excellent. Its $17.79 on Amazon Canada - HERE is the link

@Fred Garvin recommended the book How To Shoot Video That Doesn't Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. Based on his recommendation I bought the book and found it excellent. Its $17.79 on Amazon Canada - HERE is the link
Funny. I bought that a week ago and it's worth every penny! I would highly recommend it to anyone that wants to understand video production.

"Thanks for the feedback. Might have to get ruthless with the cuts"

It's so easy to fall in love with every frame. ..use non destructive software and cut it to the bone.. you can hand carry your drone I've heard..never tried it.
Thanks for asking the questions.. Lot' of good advice.

Beautiful home and scenic location. She should have no trouble selling such a lovely property. Voice acting must be a very lucrative field in Canada, you should be very proud of her and her success. She deserves it.

Just wondering why you think you need an ND filter.
From my understanding - believe me I could be dead wrong - but it forces the MM camera to use a slower shutter rate thereby introducing a bit of motion blur that softens the "wigglies". I read that somewhere and at the time it sounded logical.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yes, target is frame rate of 24fps, get shutter to about 1/50, frame rate 30fps - 1/60.
I might try shooting a definitive comparison on this, just to see how it looks side by side, don't recall ever doing that.
Fly with no filter and histogram roughly centred, then again with filter for double frame and ditto histogram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you are correct it will make for a slower shutter speed. Not sure why you’d want motion blur not sure softening the wiggles is A look I would want.
My taste is to have sharp looking videos and I don’t get wiggles.
But I do give you credit you at least knowing what the ND filter can do. Of course if you’re not in a mode where you have aperture priority then you could end up going to a larger aperture which will reduce your depth of field In some circumstances that may be desirable but not usually with drone videos.
The real problem is if you always are in the habit of leaving it on you won’t like it in a low light situation.
Less light always means more noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little follow-up on the "wiggly door" in the video. On Sunday I popped into the drone shop where I bought my MM and the owner was staffing the place by himself. He's a commercial drone pilot who told me that he flies a lot and has been doing so for several years.

I got around to showing him the "wiggly door" in the video and right away he said it was the angle of the sun coming in across the camera lens. Apparently the result of the slight oscillations inherent in an airborne drone and the camera gimble reacting.

He said there's two solutions to eliminating the resulting wigglies, one being to get a lens hood for the camera and the other being to use an ND filter. He told me the ND filter is effective in taking the glare off the lens even though that's not it's primary purpose.

He told me he almost always has an ND filter installed on his Mavic Pro and said it was because of the two reasons mentioned.

I was in his shop for about 45 minutes and he gave me a ton of tips. As I was leaving he said, "We'll see you soon. I see you've been hooked"

He's right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta