DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A week in Denver area

tlswift58

Reactions
Will be in Denver area (actually Glendale / Cherry Creek) for a week. Having looked at Aloft, B4UFly, & UAVForecast apps - they all tend to show differences in flying conditions within a say 50 mile radius of Denver.

Will have my Air2 and hope to capture some cool vids / pics of places like Union Station, Mile High Stadium (aware no fly during a game, which we won't be there when one does), and even areas like Downtown like around the capitol and Mint bldgs. There is a huge park between both buildings and wonder what extra restrictions may be in force by Denver / CO in those areas that may not specifically show up on any of the apps?

Any other super cool places to drone - like Red Rock Amphitheater / etc.?

A year ago, I was visiting my daughter in Denver. Took my Mavic 2 Pro along as I wanted to capture video of Red Rocks Amphitheater. I did some quick research and found no prohibitions, so I went there, launched and 5 minutes later, a park ranger approached me and informed me kindly to land the drone as it is a Denver city park and is prohibited. I did so, but took my time calling the drone back and did get some video. I think someone ratted me out.

A year ago, I was visiting my daughter in Denver. Took my Mavic 2 Pro along as I wanted to capture video of Red Rocks Amphitheater. I did some quick research and found no prohibitions, so I went there, launched and 5 minutes later, a park ranger approached me and informed me kindly to land the drone as it is a Denver city park and is prohibited. I did so, but took my time calling the drone back and did get some video. I think someone ratted me out.
Heard Denver Parks may be an issue, so will do some more research on it. @Vic Moss

For most venues, I prefer to be just outside of their boundaries and fly in, get my shots / vids, and then get out. About the only way for Nat or State Parks that restrict drones from taking off or landing in their boundaries.

In my 1.5 years of flying - never been approached by any kind "enforcement" folks - so guess I'm really lucky. Have attracted a few bystanders whom were curious and I'll show them them screen (and chat) and the views and they are usually awed by them. No nasty comments or haters either even in parks or other areas. I do, as stated above, try to fly away from people and look for locations where few if any people at all - just to keep it that way.

Yeah, Denver City Parks is definitely NOT drone friendly. But there are ways around. As evident in this video. I launched from Red Rocks Elementary School, which is just outside the park.

You can actually see me and my launch point at the center of the left side at the 1:30 mark.

Reactions: tlswift58
Will be in Denver area (actually Glendale / Cherry Creek) for a week. Having looked at Aloft, B4UFly, & UAVForecast apps - they all tend to show differences in flying conditions within a say 50 mile radius of Denver.

Will have my Air2 and hope to capture some cool vids / pics of places like Union Station, Mile High Stadium (aware no fly during a game, which we won't be there when one does), and even areas like Downtown like around the capitol and Mint bldgs. There is a huge park between both buildings and wonder what extra restrictions may be in force by Denver / CO in those areas that may not specifically show up on any of the apps?

Any other super cool places to drone - like Red Rock Amphitheater / etc.?
A great place to get some good imagery of Downtown is off of Speer Blvd, just South of Auraria Parkway. The Capitol does not allow flights from their property, but if you go in and check in with them and let them know that's your drone in the air, and you aren't flying from Capitol grounds, they'll appreciate it. Colorado State Patrol is in charge of Capitol security. They're pretty easy to work with.

If you want some nice shots of Red Rocks, you can launch from the Dinosaur Ridge Parking lot at Hog Back Rd. and W. Alameda Pkwy. That's just North of the town of Morrison on the West side of the Hog Back.

Union Station is pretty cool too.

One word of advice about flying in Downtown Denver. Take someone with you. Over the last few years we've ended up with a pretty severe homeless problem (not San Francisco bad, but getting there). Some of them are mentally unstable. I doubt there will be any issues, so don't let is stop you. Just be careful.

Enjoy your stay in our fine city.

Reactions: tlswift58
Yeah, Denver City Parks is definitely NOT drone friendly. But there are ways around. As evident in this video. I launched from Red Rocks Elementary School, which is just outside the park.

You can actually see me and my launch point at the center of the left side at the 1:30 mark.

Not hoping for that kind of snow though! ROTFLMAO

I'm a warmer weather person, yet my wife WOULD LOVE the snow and cold. But, I'll be ready with a jacket and such if need be.

Reactions: Vic Moss
A great place to get some good imagery of Downtown is off of Speer Blvd, just South of Auraria Parkway. The Capitol does not allow flights from their property, but if you go in and check in with them and let them know that's your drone in the air, and you aren't flying from Capitol grounds, they'll appreciate it. Colorado State Patrol is in charge of Capitol security. They're pretty easy to work with.

If you want some nice shots of Red Rocks, you can launch from the Dinosaur Ridge Parking lot at Hog Back Rd. and W. Alameda Pkwy. That's just North of the town of Morrison on the West side of the Hog Back.

Union Station is pretty cool too.

One word of advice about flying in Downtown Denver. Take someone with you. Over the last few years we've ended up with a pretty severe homeless problem (not San Francisco bad, but getting there). Some of them are mentally unstable. I doubt there will be any issues, so don't let is stop you. Just be careful.

Enjoy your stay in our fine city.
Vic - I've been to far worse and much more sketchy around the world. Not that I'd want to turn my back for sure - but my wife will be with me most, if not all the time.

I remember a huge park across from the capitol and goes over to the City Bldg (they light up so cool around Christmas), but would figure that is an off-limits area - if Denver Parks are that way.

Love me some Ted's Montana Grill and the Yard House down near the capitol is nice too.

Appreciate the info on good places to fly from. Been a few years since there; but love getting back. My wife wishes she could have been there for a "Broncos" game (her team and from Arlington, TX no less). We went last trip up in late Dec / early Jan. Took light rail from Golden over to Mile High, so not dealing with traffic and parking. Yet, with the package we had - very limited dates. We were planning on Albuquerque and Balloon Festival, then up to Santa Fe for a few days - as original package plan - but ALL SOLD OUT for that week in Albuquerque. Was there for Balloon Fest about 7 years ago and would love to see it again. I'm sure that whole area is TFR'd to death though so no real drone action close to it.

If you're out and about - may be able to meet up (fly in Monday and leave Saturday I think). Always interested in meeting the people here, esp ones with a WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE!

Vic - I've been to far worse and much more sketchy around the world. Not that I'd want to turn my back for sure - but my wife will be with me most, if not all the time.

I remember a huge park across from the capitol and goes over to the City Bldg (they light up so cool around Christmas), but would figure that is an off-limits area - if Denver Parks are that way.

Love me some Ted's Montana Grill and the Yard House down near the capitol is nice too.

Appreciate the info on good places to fly from. Been a few years since there; but love getting back. My wife wishes she could have been there for a "Broncos" game (her team and from Arlington, TX no less). We went last trip up in late Dec / early Jan. Took light rail from Golden over to Mile High, so not dealing with traffic and parking. Yet, with the package we had - very limited dates. We were planning on Albuquerque and Balloon Festival, then up to Santa Fe for a few days - as original package plan - but ALL SOLD OUT for that week in Albuquerque. Was there for Balloon Fest about 7 years ago and would love to see it again. I'm sure that whole area is TFR'd to death though so no real drone action close to it.

If you're out and about - may be able to meet up (fly in Monday and leave Saturday I think). Always interested in meeting the people here, esp ones with a WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE!
Let me know. Reach out via email: [email protected]. I'm always up to flying with folks.

Last I knew you could not fly over the stadium whether there was a game in progress or not.

I tried to fly over Tampa Bay stadium when there was absolutely nothing going on and it was a no fly zone and the geofencing kept me from even taking off (I was in the parking lot)

Last I knew you could not fly over the stadium whether there was a game in progress or not.
It's perfectly legal to fly over empty stadiums. As long as you're following all other FAA regulatoins.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31