DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Abandoned Colliery - Chatterley Whitfield Coal Mine - Stoke-on-Trent

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
As it was soo hot today we went out for a few local locations, had my eye on Chatterley Whitfield colliery for a while, have to say it did not disappoint, and I have to say I am amazed at how well it has edited together, tried something diferent, a fade to B+W, llet me know what you think...

I like the transition, it seemed like an ordinary day that transformed into an eerie tour of a mysterious abandoned area.
Keep up the good work 👍

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Thanks Micky, appreciated...

Reactions: lensimages
Not a big fan of black and white, but with the subject and age of it all, it fit here perfectly. Nice job.
Thanks... it just felt wrong to have it in full colour, and given the time of year everything was exceptionally green, which overpowered the mood...

I like the transition, it seemed like an ordinary day that transformed into an eerie tour of a mysterious abandoned area.
Keep up the good work 👍

Good choice,B&W. Brave flying going through all that steel of the cage that lowered men into the mines. I enjoyed seeing it as I was a state coal mining inspector "fireboss".

Good choice,B&W. Brave flying going through all that steel of the cage that lowered men into the mines. I enjoyed seeing it as I was a state coal mining inspector "fireboss".
Thanks... the gap in the headgear looked huge from a distance, but soon felt tiny as I approached, but it had to be done :)

I visited this mine in the 80's with school, we went 700ft underground, an experience I still remember vividly... Still get underground occassionally with the Derbyshire Caving Club, in the mines of Alderley Edge :)

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Thanks... the gap in the headgear looked huge from a distance, but soon felt tiny as I approached, but it had to be done :)

I visited this mine in the 80's with school, we went 700ft underground, an experience I still remember vividly... Still get underground occassionally with the Derbyshire Caving Club, in the mines of Alderley Edge :)
That's funny to me. Going caving in a coal mine. Very dangerous. I have done a lot of caving here in West Virginia. I also sought out new caves. That was a big thrill to me. Digging out a new cave that no human has ever seen before.
You would never have children see a coal mine with the laws we have here.

Last edited:
That's finny to me. Going caving in a coal mine. Very dangerous. I have done a lot of caving here in West Virginia. I also sought out new caves. That was a big thrill to me. Digging out a new cave that no human has ever seen before.
You would never have children see a coal mine with the laws we have here.
The AlderleyEdge mines were Coppermines - going back to Roman times, and also Cobalt mines, they were worked until the lat 19th C, and there are 21 miles of underground mines spread over 3 levels, descending 300ft, that the Caving Club look after for the National Trust. As members of the club we get a trip underground anytime we like...

Because I really like it, I’m gonna provide some constructive ideas. In edits such as this, the key is to have a variety of noticeably different shots from one cut to the next. Forward, backward, sideways, up, down, POI, wide, close ups. Don’t fly like a bird with eyes to the horizon. The horizon has little value in filming this locale. The gimbal is the key to all drama. Master the gimbal.

1) For the ever-important intro clip, typically you’d start with a forward travel reveal and save backwards travel for some of the closing clips (i.e. arrival > departure). Alternatively, an elevation reveal of the ironwork wheel starting from behind trees.
2) The first subject of your reveal is bare ground, then an uninteresting tin roof. The most interesting subject (the ironwork tower) is secondary to the composition, but is the best subject of the locale.
3) One idea for your first reveal would be to shift your backwards travel line to the left, passing over the top of the ironwork tower, gimbal down, and as you pass over, tilt gimbal up maintaining the axis with the top of the tower as you continue backwards. This should be in tripod mode (very slow) as the pass-over happens pretty fast and it’s challenging to get the gimbal tilt right. This shot is worth a few attempts.
4) A backwards travel reveal through the tower might be your best intro, more compelling than the shot going forward and through as you’ve already introduced the tower in your intro, albeit as a secondary subject.
5) The travel over the tin roof line would be better with gimbal straight down. Instead of attempting an organic turn over a right angle (better along a ridge line or tree line…organic features), fly the second roof line gimbal down sideways travel. Those 2 shots would cut together very well. With this locale, I would do all travel in straight lines inline with the structures…forward/back/left/right although a 45 would work too. Don’t fight the architectural layout of the site.
6) I can’t tell if you were attempting a manual POI on the smaller wheel tower, but you should have cut it before the messy part. One easy way to make an intelligent mode POI (or spotlight) more interesting is to travel forward/backward and additional takes with an elevation change. If it’s a good subject with a high shot value, try it a variety of ways, multiple takes. Other elements in the scene will reveal to complement the composition depending on your position and timing.
7) There are a whole lot of very interesting close ups you could feature to mix up your shots more. Don’t be afraid to get close to the subject. It creates drama, mystery and variety in composition. Fly sideways along the brick patterns and windows on the brick building, the steel frames and foliage @ :38, the side of the steel frame building under the wheel tower @ 2:20, the stairway and tanks @ 2:24. I’d start close to ground level for a close up elevation of the wheel tower @ 2:47, gimbal down shots of trees and scrubby ground plane, etc.
8) For the closing shot, I think a wide, high elevation and/or backwards travel POI of the whole site.
9) I love the music and really, really like the B/W for this locale. You could also try like a 95% desaturation allowing a hint of green to come through. I like the transition to color at the end, but only go to about 50% saturation.

Last edited:
Thanks. appreciate it :)

Reactions: LoudThunder
Because I really like it, I’m gonna provide some constructive ideas. In edits such as this, the key is to have a variety of noticeably different shots from one cut to the next. Forward, backward, sideways, up, down, POI, wide, close ups. Don’t fly like a bird with eyes to the horizon. The horizon has little value in filming this locale. The gimbal is the key to all drama. Master the gimbal.

1) For the ever-important intro clip, typically you’d start with a forward travel reveal and save backwards travel for some of the closing clips (i.e. arrival > departure). Alternatively, an elevation reveal of the ironwork wheel starting from behind trees.
2) The first subject of your reveal is bare ground, then an uninteresting tin roof. The most interesting subject (the ironwork tower) is secondary to the composition, but is the best subject of the locale.
3) One idea for your first reveal would be to shift your backwards travel line to the left, passing over the top of the ironwork tower, gimbal down, and as you pass over, tilt gimbal up maintaining the axis with the top of the tower as you continue backwards. This should be in tripod mode (very slow) as the pass-over happens pretty fast and it’s challenging to get the gimbal tilt right. This shot is worth a few attempts.
4) A backwards travel reveal through the tower might be your best intro, more compelling than the shot going forward and through as you’ve already introduced the tower in your intro, albeit as a secondary subject.
5) The travel over the tin roof line would be better with gimbal straight down. Instead of attempting an organic turn over a right angle (better along a ridge line or tree line…organic features), fly the second roof line gimbal down sideways travel. Those 2 shots would cut together very well. With this locale, I would do all travel in straight lines inline with the structures…forward/back/left/right although a 45 would work too. Don’t fight the architectural layout of the site.
6) I can’t tell if you were attempting a manual POI on the smaller wheel tower, but you should have cut it before the messy part. One easy way to make an intelligent mode POI (or spotlight) more interesting is to travel forward/backward and additional takes with an elevation change. If it’s a good subject with a high shot value, try it a variety of ways, multiple takes. Other elements in the scene will reveal to complement the composition depending on your position and timing.
7) There are a whole lot of very interesting close ups you could feature to mix up your shots more. Don’t be afraid to get close to the subject. It creates drama, mystery and variety in composition. Fly sideways along the brick patterns and windows on the brick building, the steel frames and foliage @ :38, the side of the steel frame building under the wheel tower @ 2:20, the stairway and tanks @ 2:24. I’d start close to ground level for a close up elevation of the wheel tower @ 2:47, gimbal down shots of trees and scrubby ground plane, etc.
8) For the closing shot, I think a wide, high elevation and/or backwards travel POI of the whole site.
9) I love the music and really, really like the B/W for this locale. You could also try like a 95% desaturation allowing a hint of green to come through. I like the transition to color at the end, but only go to about 50% saturation.
Thanks for the comments and taking the time to write out all your thoughts... They are all valid points and I shall take them on board. I am looking at potentially returning to the site, possibly when they have an open day, and if I can get permission then I would be able to TOAL a lot closer than from outside the boundary - which is where I was and at the limit of VLOS.

The edit was made with what footage I captured, there are many aspects I can see to improve in my flying and captures, but have to work with what I have atm, hence some of the inclusion of themessy bit of the POI on the smaller wheel and the larger one too...

The fly through the tower was not an easy one, looking back now I could have flown backwards after completing it and possibly got that reveal, but flying backwards through a 6' gap didnt feel comfortable, and I haven't been flying a drone for a year yet, so still learning...

Thanks again for the comment and the thoughts, they are very much appreciated...

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to write out all your thoughts... They are all valid points and I shall take them on board. I am looking at potentially returning to the site, possibly when they have an open day, and if I can get permission then I would be able to TOAL a lot closer than from outside the boundary - which is where I was and at the limit of VLOS.

The edit was made with what footage I captured, there are many aspects I can see to improve in my flying and captures, but have to work with what I have atm, hence some of the inclusion of themessy bit of the POI on the smaller wheel and the larger one too...

The fly through the tower was not an easy one, looking back now I could have flown backwards after completing it and possibly got that reveal, but flying backwards through a 6' gap didnt feel comfortable, and I haven't been flying a drone for a year yet, so still learning...

Thanks again for the comment and the thoughts, they are very much appreciated...
Please don't take my suggestions as criticism. You selected an awesome site and tried a variety of things.

I accept as part of the process reviewing every clip and flight maneuver in post thinking about what I could have/should have done/opportunities missed. You can almost feel as though you're flying, anticipating your stick inputs as you review. Pre-production planning helps a lot in considering the various types of shots you want to capture. Review other's photos or aerials to scope out the project, consider the subject(s), write down all the potential flight maneuvers to capture the variety of shots you'll use to make a good edit. Don't hesitate to do multiple takes of a high value shot.

For the fly-through of the tower, if you intend to use a forward travel in your edit, just fly through it slowly (use tripod mode) to get the line, then backup through it. Then simply reverse your backwards clip in post as there's nothing in the scene to indicate you reversed or sped up the timing. You can always fly slower or use tripod mode unless there are cars, people, moving water, etc. in the scene.

You do have to consider risk when doing certain shots (esp. sideways travel/POI). Sometimes people attempt risky shots that really aren't that good of a shot even if they did it flawlessly. Every time I fly I consider crash and retrieval. Will I be able to retrieve my drone in the event of a crash? Am I flying over a forested or mountainous area? Is the area accessible? How late in the day? How far from home? What devices do I have on my drone to assist retrieval (i.e. Firehouse ArcLight, AirTag/SmartTag, Wetsuit)?

• Love
Please don't take my suggestions as criticism. You selected an awesome site and tried a variety of things.

I accept as part of the process reviewing every clip and flight maneuver in post thinking about what I could have/should have done/opportunities missed. You can almost feel as though you're flying, anticipating your stick inputs as you review. Pre-production planning helps a lot in considering the various types of shots you want to capture. Review other's photos or aerials to scope out the project, consider the subject(s), write down all the potential flight maneuvers to capture the variety of shots you'll use to make a good edit. Don't hesitate to do multiple takes of a high value shot.

For the fly-through of the tower, if you intend to use a forward travel in your edit, just fly through it slowly (use tripod mode) to get the line, then backup through it. Then simply reverse your backwards clip in post as there's nothing in the scene to indicate you reversed or sped up the timing. You can always fly slower or use tripod mode unless there are cars, people, moving water, etc. in the scene.

You do have to consider risk when doing certain shots (esp. sideways travel/POI). Sometimes people attempt risky shots that really aren't that good of a shot even if they did it flawlessly. Every time I fly I consider crash and retrieval. Will I be able to retrieve my drone in the event of a crash? Am I flying over a forested or mountainous area? Is the area accessible? How late in the day? How far from home? What devices do I have on my drone to assist retrieval (i.e. Firehouse ArcLight, AirTag/SmartTag, Wetsuit)?
No worries, no offence was taken, in fact quite the opposite, I really appreciated the feedback and suggestions :)

Looking at it now I am still happy with it, but I can see many ways to improve it, and perhaps another visit to capture some more shots, close ups, dolly runs sideways and overflight with gimbal raise are all things I didnt think of at the time, but now after being given the ideas I know I can do more and do better...

There may be a return visit and some more editing to come in the not too distant future.

Thank you for the ideas and inspiration, as I said, I have only been flying since August and still consider myself a novice, so any help on how to improve is very much welcome :)

No worries, no offence was taken, in fact quite the opposite, I really appreciated the feedback and suggestions :)

Looking at it now I am still happy with it, but I can see many ways to improve it, and perhaps another visit to capture some more shots, close ups, dolly runs sideways and overflight with gimbal raise are all things I didnt think of at the time, but now after being given the ideas I know I can do more and do better...

There may be a return visit and some more editing to come in the not too distant future.

Thank you for the ideas and inspiration, as I said, I have only been flying since August and still consider myself a novice, so any help on how to improve is very much welcome :)
I think it’s important to ramp up flying and filming skills early on, having a library of cinematic moves to practice, developing pre-production shot lists. Some pilots never even get their gimbal and yaw settings right and their moves aren’t smooth. Yaw is a killer until you can do the most gentle of turns. The most interesting moves are 3 input actions using a combination of gimbal, elevation and direction. Fortunately, POI and Spotlight makes combination moves easier by maintaining axis with the subject, allowing you to focus on the other inputs. Never underestimate the gimbal straight down shot. I transition a variety of scenes from gimbal down.

I have a couple locales I like to practice flying and filming. One is a historic town at the convergence point of 2 rivers, with railroads and bridges, canal, tunnel, cliffs and so forth... a lot of features and subjects. The key is to practice a lot so when you travel to a really worthy locale, you’re ready and able to capture it well.

flying backwards through a 6' gap didnt feel comfortable,
Your editor will take a clip and reverse it so you can fly forward but then turn the clip around and it will look like you few backwards, you should also be able to change the speed of the clip in case you flew too fast or too slow... You just have to carful that the clip does not look like it is stuttering...

You have only been flying since last July and @macfawlty has been flying for years and I think, from the depth of his advice, he is a professional and his advice is sound and worth taking his expertise to heart. And I hope his does not think of reversing video footage as cheating, but as an editing technique, like his suggestion, "95% desaturation allowing a hint of green to come through."

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

I think it’s important to ramp up flying and filming skills early on, having a library of cinematic moves to practice, developing pre-production shot lists. Some pilots never even get their gimbal and yaw settings right and their moves aren’t smooth. Yaw is a killer until you can do the most gentle of turns. The most interesting moves are 3 input actions using a combination of gimbal, elevation and direction. Fortunately, POI and Spotlight makes combination moves easier by maintaining axis with the subject, allowing you to focus on the other inputs. Never underestimate the gimbal straight down shot. I transition a variety of scenes from gimbal down.

I have a couple locales I like to practice flying and filming. One is a historic town at the convergence point of 2 rivers, with railroads and bridges, canal, tunnel, cliffs and so forth... a lot of features and subjects. The key is to practice a lot so when you travel to a really worthy locale, you’re ready and able to capture it well.
Thanks, I am flying as much as I can, and expanding my techniques in some stunning locations, but it is a steep lerning curve at times...

The straight down top shot is one I have used in a variety of locations, castles and waterfalls, brochs, stone circles etc, don't know why I didnt think of using it at the Colliery, perhaps just overwhelmed with the possibilities of the amazing subjects :)

I often use POI, but for some reason on that dau I didnt use it on all shots at the colliery - yet did so on the previous 2 locations which were a single object of focus. I've no idea why I didnt use it again, but it would have smoothed out some of the footage for sure...

Thanks again for the advice and tips :)

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet