DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B Notifications

My A2S is not showing ADS-B of planes in the area! Is there a setting to turn it on? I am in the United States!
No its a constant, but not all planes are equipped with the gear to let us know there in the sky.

I know mine is very sensitive towards planes and the life flights units.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain and land on the Water.

Reactions: ATW and tlswift58
Hmm. I don’t have mine with me this minute, and I’m using the MA2, but I seem to remember a setting for AirSense ON/OFF and sensitivity. Now it is also still true that a lot of general aviation planes won’t run ADSB yet.

Reactions: ATW
For ADS-B to work, the plane has to have ADS-B installed (as mentioned above) but it also needs another plane nearby with ADS-B to trigger the ADS-B transmission. The MA2 is, in effect, eavesdropping on that transmission. Go here for an overview of the ADS-B system: Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) - Page 240

Last edited:
If you haven't already found it, the ADS-B (AirSense) on/off is in the "Advance Safety Settings" tab of "Safety" menu in the DJI Fly app.

Also remember that military aircraft may not be transmitting ADS-B. I recently saw this in the San Francisco Bay Area with a low flying US Navy E-2 Hawkeye on a training mission circling over the bay and Golden Gate Bridge.

Reactions: ATW
yesterday afternoon i had the air2s up and heard airplane prop noise in the distance.
sure enough, the dji fly app generated a warning about aircraft in the area.
actually reassuring that the warning appeared.
i looked around and even though nothing was in sight, i lowered the drone anyway.
When flying my MA2 I always have FlightRadar24 app open along with DJI Fly, and when I get a warning I stop moving and check FR24 just to be safe. One thing to remember is DJI's AirSense doesn't factor in altitude - I've had it go off for airplanes flying several thousand feet above me. I do worry about low flying helicopters both police/sheriff and medical air ambulances that are routinely in my area. This is why I immediately check any ADS-B alert. Too bad that DJI couldn't partner with FR24 so that more information is available in the DJI Fly app when AirSense picks up an aircraft; like altitude, speed, and type.

Reactions: ATW and tlswift58
When flying my MA2 I always have FlightRadar24 app open along with DJI Fly, and when I get a warning I stop moving and check FR24 just to be safe. One thing to remember is DJI's AirSense doesn't factor in altitude - I've had it go off for airplanes flying several thousand feet above me. I do worry about low flying helicopters both police/sheriff and medical air ambulances that are routinely in my area. This is why I immediately check any ADS-B alert. Too bad that DJI couldn't partner with FR24 so that more information is available in the DJI Fly app when AirSense picks up an aircraft; like altitude, speed, and type.

Thanks for the info on FR24.
Do you simply open FR24 and look for any aircraft icons on the map nearby?

I am starting up a recreational drone program (open to members, guests, and Scouts) for a conservation group and the flight area is underneath a Class E airport. We plan to have a volunteer monitor air traffic during the flight time using a Stratux (homemade ADS-B receiver costing about $150 to build Stratux ADS-B | Stratux ADS-B - DIY/Low-cost Portable ADS-B ;) and Wing-X (free version) on an IPad.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
ok thats interesting about what you said on the aircraft at high altitude giving you alerts.i was using this on my last Air 2 and never ever got any alerts at aircraft more than about 3000 foot in altitude.settings on highest alert as well ,just my findings,i even went and tested it out over a few weeks as i live near a couple of small airfields.and yes all the aircraft i checked was transponding at the time of the test .verified using the ADS-B exchange on my phone.i also live a few hundred yards from the air ambulance landing ground for the local hospital so get plenty of chances to test the feature out.

Ok a few things also to think about .there are several systems aircraft use as well as ADS-B, these include UAT/ADS-R, MILAT, TIS-B, ADS-C and i believe there a a couple of others ,to check this out go on a computer and look on .ADS-B Exchange - tracking thousands of aircraft after a lot of testing this is my go to.when on this site go to options and there you will see filters.make sure you select ADS-B and untick the others and then click filter ,if you see an aircraft still near you this is likely to give you alerts,as far as i am aware none of the other types will.

Do you have this in your mavic air 2 because mine doesn’t have it I know that in eu it’s disabled for mavic air 2

Attachments

• A8FC137F-BF58-43D7-A32A-B1856F0732E4.jpeg
    A8FC137F-BF58-43D7-A32A-B1856F0732E4.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 19
you will only have this on your Air2 if it is one with the 3W model (later releases) and you are using the modded app from GB160.
Yes I know I asked him because as I understand he is in usa, but how DJI doing it wrongly they can easy enable it by making proper firmware for ma2 because in my opinion it’s useful feature

Yes I know I asked him because as I understand he is in usa, but how DJI doing it wrongly they can easy enable it by making proper firmware for ma2 because in my opinion it’s useful feature
Gb160 is uk based.... ;)

Hi. I have the MA2 with the 3W > so ADS-B receiver included. And yes it should work with the modded app. And yes I have that app..But... To be honest right now it doesn't make sense in Belgium. The bigger planes are flying at 10km ... The smaller planes & helicopters (flying on sunny days in the WE in Belgium) are almost never equipped with an ADS-B transmitter. You can check it on ADS-B Exchange - tracking thousands of aircraft

Attachments

• 1621427342830.png
    1621427342830.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: ninja_geezer
Hi. I have the MA2 with the 3W > so ADS-B receiver included. And yes it should work with the modded app. And yes I have that app..But... To be honest right now it doesn't make sense in Belgium. The bigger planes are flying at 10km ... The smaller planes & helicopters (flying on sunny days in the WE in Belgium) are almost never equipped with an ADS-B transmitter. You can check it on ADS-B Exchange - tracking thousands of aircraft
that's the app i use the ADS-B exchange ,most of the small planes and helis use it here not all ,plus some people dont realise that there are other forms of aircraft transponders that are used ,
  1. ADS-B
  2. UAT / ADS-R
  3. MLAT
  4. TIS-B
  5. Other
  6. ADS-C
MLAT is used quite a bit ive found so this will not get picked up by the app. ADS-B is far the most common.

I use an ADS-B receiver and one of the IPad or Android tablet EFB apps such as Avare, Wing-X, or ForeFlight. The commercially made ADS-B receivers are fairly expensive running about $700-800 or so, but you can build one of the open-source Statux receivers for about $160 [ Stratux ADS-B | Stratux ADS-B - DIY/Low-cost Portable ADS-B ] These provide GPS to tablets that do not have GPS and receive both of the ADS-B frequencies. If you are near an ADS-B tower, you can also get weather reports and radar.

An indication of aircraft altitude would definitely be nice. ADS-B is supposed to transmit that, so filtering 30,000 feet altitude flights out of the warnings would be nice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLEKOK