DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advance charging hub?

Stoph787

Reactions
I didn't see this discussed anywhere else. I was reading the FAQs and there seems to be two charging hubs for the Mavic batteries. One is the standard and the other is an Advance charging hub. The latter being able to use the Phantom 4 100w charger to charge a set of 4 batteries twice as fast as the Mavic 50w charger. Has anyone seen this "Advance" hub? I can only find the $39 hub, and it doesn't mention it being advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The advanced charging hub has not been released yet.

I thought the difference was in the charger and not the hub, some articles mentioned you could even use the P4 100W charger for that but I got confused too, I´ll wait for more details on this.

I thought the difference was in the charger and not the hub
Here's how the Mavic FAQ explains this:

Q: Does the Mavic’s battery support quick charging?

A:
Yes. The Mavic’s Intelligent Flight Battery supports quick charging at nearly 2C, with a maximum charging power of 100W. The rated power of Mavic Battery Charger is 50W, and the rated power of the Mavic Car Charger is 78W. When using the Mavic Advanced Charging Hub with a 100W adapter, the battery can be charged at 100W.

Q: What is a Battery Charging Hub? What is the difference between the two versions of the Mavic’s Charging Hub?

A:
The two Charging Hubs can both charge up to 4 batteries at one time. In order to fully charge the first battery as quickly as possible, the Intelligent Flight Batteries are charged in sequence according to their power levels, from high to low. This gives you the fastest way of getting all your batteries fully charged. There are two main differences between the two Charging Hubs. First, the standard Charging Hub only supports the Mavic’s 50W Battery Charger and Mavic Car Charger, while the advanced version also supports the 100W Battery Charger and Car Charger from the Phantom 4. Second, the advanced version will balance the voltage of each battery cell to improve charging efficiency. When one battery’s charging enters the second-half of its charging phase, the next battery will enter the first-half of its charging phase. With 4 batteries all at 15%, the advanced charger can get 4 batteries fully charged in 140 minutes using the Phantom 4’s 100W charger, while the standard version will need 270 minutes with the Mavic’s 50W charger.

Reactions: Superjam
Definitely interested in the Advanced charger for the balancing capabilities, although isn't there already circutry within the battery to do that?

I'll stick with the 50W charger, though. Charging batteries as fast as they "can be charged" leads to wear over time.

Reactions: ScottJD and ___
The Mavic battery is capably of charging at 100 watt, but the standard charger supplies only 50 watts @13.05 volts. Using the P4 charger (I have a spare) supplies the 100 watts @17.5 volts, but at a higher charge voltage so you cant use it with the standard hub. The Advanced hub can use the P4 100 watt charger and step down the voltage to the correct voltage for the Mavic battery, and have the power to charge all batteries on the hub at once, where as the standard charger and hub charge one at a time.

The Mavic battery is capably of charging at 100 watt, but the standard charger supplies only 50 watts @13.05 volts. Using the P4 charger (I have a spare) supplies the 100 watts @17.5 volts, but at a higher charge voltage so you cant use it with the standard hub. The Advanced hub can use the P4 100 watt charger and step down the voltage to the correct voltage for the Mavic battery, and have the power to charge all batteries on the hub at once, where as the standard charger and hub charge one at a time.

Since the advanced charge hub is not available, can we buy a P4 100w charger and use it to charge a single Mavic battery at a time without the advanced hub? I've looked at the connectors and plugs and in photo's and it looks like it might be slightly different than the P4 battery. Its hard to tell in the pictures though.

Since the advanced charge hub is not available, can we buy a P4 100w charger and use it to charge a single Mavic battery at a time without the advanced hub? I've looked at the connectors and plugs and in photo's and it looks like it might be slightly different than the P4 battery. Its hard to tell in the pictures though.

NO

P4 charger is 4S Mavic Battery is 3S

Do not attempt to directly charge the pack from a P4 charger.

Reactions: F6Rider
Thanks. I fly quads and heli's using a PL6 charger to do 2s to 6s. It auto detects the cell count then applies the proper voltage so wondered if the P4 charger or the Mavic smart battery circuitry was capable of the same.

One thing I am having difficulty finding:

How long will a charged controller last?

If one has enough batteries won't that be the limiting factor in a session?

MK

One thing I am having difficulty finding:

How long will a charged controller last?

If one has enough batteries won't that be the limiting factor in a session?

MK

I saw someone mention in a video review 5-6 flights on one charge from the RC. (I think Flite Test?) Also charging the RC and the batteries from the same hub will slow the process of both. Or so I've heard.

he Mavic battery is capably of charging at 100 watt, but the standard charger supplies only 50 watts @13.05 volts. Using the P4 charger (I have a spare) supplies the 100 watts @17.5 volts, but at a higher charge voltage so you cant use it with the standard hub. The Advanced hub can use the P4 100 watt charger and step down the voltage to the correct voltage for the Mavic battery, and have the power to charge all batteries on the hub at once, where as the standard charger and hub charge one at a time.

Two amendments (imho):
1. if the voltage of P4 charger is stepped down than the maximum current for charging will be 100W/13.05V=7.66A which is exactly 2C rating allowed by DJI.
2. I doubt P4 charger with advanced hub will allow 'to charge all batteries on the hub at once'. Where did u get this info? I suppose batteries will be charging one by one but with twice as much current (see p.1 above).

upd: but I still do not understand how is stepping down the voltage in the hub may affect higher Amperage of the P4 charger itself, because voltage at the power supply of P4 charger is still 17.5V meaning 100w/17,5V=5,7A (as specified btw) :)

Last edited:
Two amendments (imho):
1. if the voltage of P4 charger is stepped down than the maximum current for charging will be 100W/13.05V=7.66A which is exactly 2C rating allowed by DJI.
2. I doubt P4 charger with advanced hub will allow 'to charge all batteries on the hub at once'. Where did u get this info? I suppose batteries will be charging one by one but with twice as much current (see p.1 above).

upd: but I still do not understand how is stepping down the voltage in the hub may affect higher Amperage of the P4 charger itself, because voltage at the power supply of P4 charger is still 17.5V meaning 100w/17,5V=5,7A (as specified btw) :)
You are correct, this is an old post, back in Oct of '16 when we first heard of the advanced charging hub, it was stated that it would charge all 4 batteries at once utilizing the 100 watt P4 power supply, but after release it was amended to read charge one at a time but more than an hour faster than the Mavic power supply.

What is the difference between the new charging hub?

I will be receiving mine this Friday 24th, will make a small video about the test comparison between the standard hub and the advanced.

What is the difference between the new charging hub?

What makes the DJI Mavic Battery Battery Hub (Advanced) different from the Standard Hub?

There are two main differences between these hubs. The Advanced Hub improves charging efficiency for faster charge times. In addition, the Advanced Hub is compatible with the Phantom 4 Series 100W Charger which allows for increased wattage when charging compared to the regular Mavic Pro 50W Battery Charger.

Now IN STOCK -> DJI Mavic Battery Charging Hub (Advanced) - Part 8 | Advexure

What makes the DJI Mavic Battery Battery Hub (Advanced) different from the Standard Hub?

There are two main differences between these hubs. The Advanced Hub improves charging efficiency for faster charge times. In addition, the Advanced Hub is compatible with the Phantom 4 Series 100W Charger which allows for increased wattage when charging compared to the regular Mavic Pro 50W Battery Charger.

Now IN STOCK -> DJI Mavic Battery Charging Hub (Advanced) - Part 8 | Advexure
So I know the charging is more efficient by balancing the last stage of the near completed charged battery while starting the first stage of the second battery at the same time.

So has anyone confirmed if the P4 power supply is doing the step down, or is the advanced charging block changing the power distribution and stepping down the voltage to 13.83 while maintaining a total power of 100W?

I feel like the advanced block should have been included with the fly more kit, I'm guessing if I check mine came with the standard one.
As for battery life, yes charging faster does decrease the life faster but then I would at least get my money's worth from the DJI Refresh for battery replacements if I never crash in the first year since I believe it covers batteries.
Scott

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu