DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for purchase of Mavic Mini or Mavic Air

SierraAlpha

Reactions
I am debating purchasing a Mini fly more package for $500 or a like new Mavic Air fly more package for $500 from a friend.

I am torn between the two because I like the Air’s obstacle avoidance and full features including active track etc. but I dislike the high pitched noise and the short amount of flight time. I would not use the 4K option much so that is not a main concern.

I like the Mini’s long flight time and mid pitch noise. The 2.7k video looks great and all I need.

I have flown the Air a couple times but have not the Mini yet. I have watched plenty of YouTube mini videos.

I’m just looking for various opinions on the two.

I am debating purchasing a Mini fly more package for $500 or a like new Mavic Air fly more package for $500 from a friend.

I am torn between the two because I like the Air’s obstacle avoidance and full features including active track etc. but I dislike the high pitched noise and the short amount of flight time. I would not use the 4K option much so that is not a main concern.

I like the Mini’s long flight time and mid pitch noise. The 2.7k video looks great and all I need.

I have flown the Air a couple times but have not the Mini yet. I have watched plenty of YouTube mini videos.

Welcome to the forum :D ?

This here is a perfect tool for ya ...

1584729324994.png

And here some service as you are new ? --> Search results for query: mini vs air

welcome to the forum

Personally, with all the issues the Mini has been having, I'd get the Air. You can always buy extra batteries.

Or maybe hold out for the new Mavic coming soon.

I personally haven't had any issues with the Mavic Mini and love it. I also have the Mavic Air, it's a decent drone but mine has just collected dust for a while now.

Reactions: pelagic_one
The Mini is a solid little drone for the money. If flight time is more important to you than some of the air's features such as obstacle avoidance and 4k, I would go with the Mini personally. Plus the air has been discontinued, so it might become difficult to find accessories such as batteries in the future. That may effect your decision. But... depending on what your goals are for this drone, you may outgrow the Mini and its capabilities quickly. If you'd like, feel free to shoot us a message and we'd be happy to help you out further into making the right decision.

Thanks,
FDS Team

For the camera. I like the air. Mini seems to have better range/reliability. The air has a weaker connection in general. The mini is a better tool for getting in tight places.
I do appreciate the forward and backward obstacle avoidance on the air. I bought a mini and then upgraded camera to the air. I have not flown the mini since!

Also consider researching the proposed FAA changes to drone operations. There are talks of changing what does or does not need to be registered and talks of changing some of the hard- and firmware inside of drones to help them be identifiable in flight. Current drones might not be legal to fly in a few years.

The Mini is a solid little drone for the money. If flight time is more important to you than some of the air's features such as obstacle avoidance and 4k, I would go with the Mini personally. Plus the air has been discontinued, so it might become difficult to find accessories such as batteries in the future. That may effect your decision. But... depending on what your goals are for this drone, you may outgrow the Mini and its capabilities quickly. If you'd like, feel free to shoot us a message and we'd be happy to help you out further into making the right decision.

Thanks,
FDS Team
Do you think it has been permanently discontinued or just during the pandemic ?? :eek:

I'd wait. Supposedly Dji will release the SDK for the mini in April. That will lead to 3rd party apps that can be beneficial to the mini. I don't really fly the mini because I dislike the yaw lag. So if a 3rd party app becomes available and makes it rock steady like my spark I'm all in. Not to mention the possibility of having extra features being included, all of that plus long flight times.

Do you think it has been permanently discontinued or just during the pandemic ?? :eek:
We had received word before the coronavirus got real bad that it was being discontinued, there have been rumors of an Air 2 but nothing official.

Thanks

i say the smartest thing you can do is not buy anything from dji EVER. I PERSONALY HAVE PAYED MORE MONEY FOR THE TWO DRONES (pro platinum and 2zoom) then ive ever spent on anything else my whole life and it’s been nothing but problems. Don’t give them your money because they don’t care what problems following their directions will cause. Update.....my ***.......try headache.
unless your thing is giving away your time and money you should consider trying a different Company. You’d think at these prices they would have a reliable product......nope. Their company policy is to just keep releasing new untested pieces of Dooky every year. And then try to tell you that the problem is that you need to buy a. Different computer to make it work. And that you need to update your firmware to get it to work again.. so you do ,and it makes it stop functioning all together and their new genius idea is to make it so you can’t downgrade back to the firmware that did work (deleted by moderator)
I WANT MY MONEY BACK. ND ID ALSO LIKE SOME COMPENSATION FOR MY WASTED TIME.
DONT LET THEM STEAL YOUR MONEY AND YOUR TIME LIKE THEY HAVE FROM ME.
IF IT WOKED LIKE THEY PROMISE IN THE ADDS THAT GET YOU TO BUY THEM ITWOULD BE A DREAM. BUT IF YOU THINK ITS GOING TO.......WELL THEN YOUR DREAMING.
LOOK UP REVEIWS THAT SHED LIGHT ON THE PROBLEMS WITH THIS CO. AND YOUR GOING TO FIND THAT THERES A LOT MORE OF THOSE THEN GOOD THINGS THAT EVEN EXIST.
anything like a good review is going to come from somebody that’s been compensated in some fashion is all I can think at this point.
ok there’s my 2 cents on their shiney (deleted by moderator)
do with it what you will
and good luck.
sincerely,
disgruntled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member