DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AFAC in Mexico

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
@GFields AFAC stands for Agencia Federal de Aviation Civil
or the Federal Civil Aviation Agency

You have asked questions about flying a drone in Mexico. You must be a citizen of Mexico to fly a drone there… The reason for Mexico's strict laws on drone flying is unknown, they could be simply lacking modern laws, or they could be trying to limit the number of drones in the sky.

But before you ask why, I still want to know why the FAA insists that RID reports the pilots location (or in the case of a RID Module, the takeoff location…).

If you are not a Mexican citizen, just enjoy flying in the USA…

You have asked questions about flying a drone in Mexico. You must be a citizen of Mexico to fly a drone there… The reason for Mexico's strict laws on drone flying is unknown, they could be simply lacking modern laws, or they could be trying to limit the number of drones in the sky.

But before you ask why, I still want to know why the FAA insists that RID reports the pilots location (or in the case of a RID Module, the takeoff location…).

If you are not a Mexican citizen, just enjoy flying in the USA…
Sorry for late reply. You are correct about being a citizen of Mexico to fly there. Although I have seen blogs where
American citizen take a chance and are lucky, the consequences are not desirable and all depends where you fly and and who sees you. At time of writing I was just getting started on AFAC, being a holder of FAA part 107 I was curious if I could do the same in Mexico. After almost 50 e-mail correspondences I learned a bunch, mostly it is
almost 100 times harder to get a license there than here in USA.. Which brings me to all the worry here in the states, SO WHAT, IT IS NO BIG DEAL in my opinion, look at our smart phones which is a personal tracker, look at our computers- big brother knows all they want, Look at the info each time you use a credit card-big brother has won. If it bothers anyone on RID, dont use a computer, dont use a smart phone dont use credit cards, dont fly a drone.

• Wow
I will only address your issues with flying a drone in Mexico, if you are caught, it is jail time and Americans are not treated nicely by the other "guests" in a Mexican jail… Next, even if no authorities are watching and you are out in the "wilds" there might be cartel activity there, crops, meetings, you name it… All I can say is, "It's been nice knowing you…"

You must consider that the Mexicans have had considerable problems with the Narcos and drones. If you think that the Ukrainians are clever with their drone usage, the Narcos are much better funded and cause some real problems for the authorities in Mexico. I have found Civil Aviation in Mexico easy to deal with and very professional. I have been flying down there since the 80's. They do have their own peculiar rules, like no night VFR and so on. Don't get me going about the extra Mexican insurance you must have on top of your regular international coverage insurance. I can also say, unequivocally that going to jail in Mexico is not something you would do on a lark. My half brother ended up in jail there for several months. He did not have a great time and he is a big hulking thug. Quite possibly the only reason he is still alive. BTW, he totally deserved to go to jail for what he did. Also suffers from poor judgment. Every family has one I suppose.

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure