DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 fell out of the sky with 12% battery , do i have any chance of getting a replacement from dji

Wow, based on the information you can get from the logs if the FAA came you would be toast due to all the violations your logs show🤔

based on the information you can get from the logs if the FAA came you would be toast due to all the violations your logs show
The OP was flying in South Africa

First know that Forced landings can happen to anyone , many drones have been lost to the sea because of this.
Edited: to can ?

If your going to run your Batteries down you do have to learn a few Skills :

1> If your pushing the Battery you need to Gain Height so you have room to fight the Forced Landing

2< When the Force Landing Starts you need to keep you Left Stick UP the Entire time or the Force landing will engage again quickly. At some point you will just have to keep cancellng the Landing. But you also have to keep moving forard, this is tricky.

If you release the stick for a moment , the Force landing will engage again.

It sounds easy but its rather diffcult to do without practice.
Practice 30 ft up and see if you cannot keep your drone away from the WIld Animals and land at 5% or less.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water, much love to South Africa .

Last edited:
Reactions: Aairon
First know that Forced landings happen to everyone , many drones have been lost to the sea because of this.

If you going to run your Batteries down you do have to learn a few Skills :

1> If your pushing the Battery you need to Gain Height so you have room to fight the Forced Landing

2< When the Force Landing Starts you need to keep you Left Stick UP the Entire time or the Force landing will engage again quickly. At some point you will just have to keep cancellng the Landing. But you also have to keep moving forard, this is tricky.

If you release the stick for a moment , the Force landing will engage again.

It sounds easy but its rather diffcult to do without practice.
Practice 30 ft up and see if you cannot keep your drone away from the WIld Animals and land at 5% or less.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water, much love to South Africa .

No, forced landings don't happen to everyone. True, it's good to know what to expect and how to make the best of a bad situation if unplanned events put you into a forced landing situation. But if you make a habit of pushing the battery to near-zero, you're gambling with a bad experience for yourself and possibly others. It doesn't make sense to deliberately push a "real" aircraft into a low fuel situation. Why fly an SUAS any differently?

It's much easier and much safer to land with at least 20% left, pop in a fresh battery, and go again if you need more air time.

First know that Forced landings happen to everyone
Incorrect information.
I have never put myself in that crowd simply because of my common sense abilities.
I read about these scenarios and think about the amount of money transferred to DJI’s bank account when someone needs to replace their hardware.

The better option would be to not drain the battery down far enough that you can’t fly back to home point. Battery life and how far you fly is a learning experience with any DJI product. Unfortunately, this lesson goes against your wallet. I tend to start a return to home flight when the battery hits no less than 50%. Always good to have more battery power than needed when it gets back to where you are. Wind speed and direction is a large part of the battery level needed to still have the flying camera in your possession when all the flying fun is over.
Rule of Thirds: 1/3 outbound, 1/3 return, 1/3 for emergencies.., Pushing it to the limit has its drawbacks.

The better option would be to not drain the battery down far enough that you can’t fly back to home point. B
I had a similar scare and now never go below 30%. I start coming back at 40%. I am content with shorter flights. I have extra batteries for a reason.

Well you got Lions and Tigers out there so it might have been food for the gods. lol
Sorry about your loss, I lost a drone a few years ago 50 ft from my house and I still cannot find it and it was Air 2

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I think I will attach an Apple airtag to my drones, just in case something like this happens to me. If, it's close by, I will find it even with out a cell signal, just with Bluetooth.

Scary thought of losing a drone. I'm sure I would be depressed for weeks! It's a lot of money to lose when you were out just having fun.

Really sad to hear about lost drones.

Last edited:
Rule of Thirds: 1/3 outbound, 1/3 return, 1/3 for emergencies.., Pushing it to the limit has its drawbacks.
Good sound advice. Scuba Divers use the same rule for their air consumption. Are you also a Scuba Diver? I am.

@Abner055
"I think I will attach an Apple airtag to my drones, just in case something like this happens to me. If, it's close by, I will find it even with out a cell signal, just with Bluetooth."

Apple Airtag?
I will look into the that, my wife has the watch and a wallet thing on the iOS system. Blue tooth part you should test.
I lost a $1400 P2V+ Never again!

I don't want to change the direction of this thread, this needs be on another.
I don't want to reply to this post here Thumbswayup.

Rod ..

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne