DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 weird shaking

csab1n

Reactions
Hello All,

I was flying my Air 2 today, and experienced this very weird strong shaking about a minute after take off. The weather was decent, there was some wind, but nothing crazy. I was flying over water to a lighthouse, in a straight line in sports mode. I was recording my way there and happened to use the feature to turn my camera sideways to see the props without changing direction or speed. It suddenly started shaking very aggressively, so I came to a full stop immediately. After stabilizing, I continued my mission without any further problems. I even swapped the batteries out afterwards and conducted another flight without any problems. Still, it bothers me it could be doing this shaking without me knowing about it and eventually it could crash... Anyone has any idea what could cause this problem? I never crashed or damaged the drone in any ways, only had like 20 flights on it so it's almost brand new. The only thing I put on it is a Trackimo GPS tracker(mounted on the battery), landing gear extensions, and an ND filter.
I attached a short video from the incident below. If you watch the video you will see that it's not very windy, the shaking happens at 0:31. Thanks! HERE IS THE VIDEO

Sorry to be a little off topic but there's an option to turn the camera sideways?

Yikes!!! Could you see the drone well enough to tell if it was the drone or camera shaking? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the camera physically oscillating per the way the wind was hitting it. I've never tried that feature with the drone moving only while it was in a hover.

Yikes!!! Could you see the drone well enough to tell if it was the drone or camera shaking? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the camera physically oscillating per the way the wind was hitting it. I've never tried that feature with the drone moving only while it was in a hover.
If you look at the video you can use the horizon as a reference point, so I think it's gotta be the drone shaking like that right?

Hello All,

I was flying my Air 2 today, and experienced this very weird strong shaking about a minute after take off. The weather was decent, there was some wind, but nothing crazy. I was flying over water to a lighthouse, in a straight line in sports mode. I was recording my way there and happened to use the feature to turn my camera sideways to see the props without changing direction or speed. It suddenly started shaking very aggressively, so I came to a full stop immediately. After stabilizing, I continued my mission without any further problems. I even swapped the batteries out afterwards and conducted another flight without any problems. Still, it bothers me it could be doing this shaking without me knowing about it and eventually it could crash... Anyone has any idea what could cause this problem? I never crashed or damaged the drone in any ways, only had like 20 flights on it so it's almost brand new. The only thing I put on it is a Trackimo GPS tracker(mounted on the battery), landing gear extensions, and an ND filter.
I attached a short video from the incident below. If you watch the video you will see that it's not very windy, the shaking happens at 0:31. Thanks! HERE IS THE VIDEO

Two things to consider: it was not very windy until you hit the OPEN water , than you flew into a head wind. You have both the GPS mounted and the Camera turned Side way so it could not flip because you were holding it . Those two things together caused some major buffering to take place on the flight , there is most likely nothing wrong with your drone.

You can see this same thing happen when I hit the Open water and nothing to block any wind in this video:

Watch what happen 8:18 in the video you can see what happened to you but I was going slow and you were moving quick. Once you hit that Open water its gets real.
but your footage was looking really nice and clean up till than, had you just released the camera and went a little slower you would have been fine.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water

Last edited:
Reactions: Bernard
Hello All,

Very odd, never seen anything like it. How high were you, well I mean the altitude of your drone?

• Haha
Reactions: BLBrinker
Two things to consider: it was not very windy until you hit the OPEN water , than you flew into a head wind. You have both the GPS mounted and the Camera turned Side way so it could not flip because you were holding it . Those two things together caused some major buffering to take place on the flight , there is most likely nothing wrong with your drone.

You can see this same thing happen when I hit the Open water and nothing to block any wind in this video:

Watch what happen 8:18 in the video you can see what happened to you but I was going slow and you were moving quick. Once you hit that Open water its gets real.
but your footage was looking really nice and clean up till than, had you just released the camera and went a little slower you would have been fine.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water
I saw your video, but here is the thing : if it was that windy wouldn't the gimbal shake or tilt down first before the entire drone starts shaking? I've seen the camera tilt down when flying fast before, but I think this case is different... And like I said, winds topped out at around 15 mph gusts max over the water + my speed.

I saw your video, but here is the thing : if it was that windy wouldn't the gimbal shake or tilt down first before the entire drone starts shaking? I've seen the camera tilt down when flying fast before, but I think this case is different... And like I said, winds topped out at around 15 mph gusts max over the water + my speed.

No you were holding the camera in place with your finger the camera and you had the GPS tracker on top all of which can cause Buffering , if you would have just flown with the camera in the forward position it would have flipped up a little and not buffered nearly as much plus the GPS tracker on top of the Drone at that angle all contributed to when you hit the Open Water , and went head into the wind which is something that has to be negotiated. ..

Last edited:
Altitude was about 10-15 meters and the speed was 18m/s according to the flight log.

But you had wind being deflected on the Camera and you had wind being Deflected on top of the battery and that is not balanced well.
you would be much much better off to put the GPS tracker under the drone if your going to be flying in the wind .

If you look at your angle of the drone you can see what was catching the wind and than you pushed the camera all the way over , its a recipe for buffering.

Reactions: csab1n
But you had wind being deflected on the Camera and you had wind being Deflected on top of the battery and that is not balanced well.
you would be much much better off to put the GPS tracker under the drone if your going to be flying in the wind .

If you look at your angle of the drone you can see what was catching the wind and than you pushed the camera all the way over , its a recipe for buffering.
Hmm... That could be the thimg I guess. Problem is there is nowhere else I could fit the GPS tracker without blocking any sensors or rc signal.

Post a picture of your GPS tracker on the drone if you can.
and post a picture of the Camera all the way over and you will be able to see it.

What is nice is you can probably test it out again by just repeating it . Take the GPS off and see if there is a difference . You might find it was the Camera being pushed over by being held or both. I dont think its a defect in any way on your drone.

Notice all the sail boats out on the water I think you under estimated the wind: ;)

Last edited:
Post a picture of your GPS tracker on the drone if you can.
and post a picture of the Camera all the way over and you will be able to see it.

What is nice is you can probably test it out again by just repeating it . Take the GPS off and see if there is a difference . You might find it was the Camera being pushed over by being held or both. I dont think its a defect in any way on your drone.

Notice all the sail boats out on the water I think you under estimated the wind: ;)
I will def try to fly it without the tracker to test.
Sailboats are out no matter what, its a Sunday ?

Attachments

• 20200921_003338.jpg
    20200921_003338.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200921_003325.jpg
    20200921_003325.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I also am going to test out the Camera being held down in sport mode and see what happens on the Air 2 , see if its the same as the Mavic 2.
The risk to holding it in place is that you can tear the Gimbal Ribbon when flying in the wind.
So be careful with that and thank you for the pictures as that helps see the scope of the things.

Reactions: csab1n
I also am going to test out the Camera being held down in sport mode and see what happens on the Air 2 , see if its the same as the Mavic 2.
The risk to holding it in place is that you can tear the Gimbal Ribbon when flying in the wind.
So be careful with that and thank you for the pictures as that helps see the scope of the things.
Alright, let me know how it goes. ?

Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign. We are now crossing a zone of turbulence. Please return your seats and keep your seat belts fastened. Thank you.
Lmao, I wonder how many times I will actually do that since I'm studying for my ATP license... ?

I mount the trackimo behind the AC , but it will probably block the rear sensors on the Air 2

1600664127682.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+