DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s fell from 250ft during timelapse

Not much can be said out from this log ... no sudden craft movements, no abnormal behavior regarding either the cell voltage or amp draw. This is a typical log from a craft that get a sudden power loss ... everything just ends midair. The only odd thing that I can see is how the battery percentage (black graph) behaves ... 201,38sec into the flight it says 89%, then at 201,45sec it jumps to 81%.

This is clearly not a pilot error ... contact DJI.

Below a chart with all relevant data ... the pink background color is the time lapse period. Have placed the marker just in the end of the log, all graph values just there can be read out from the legend under the chart.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1619357506231.png

Not much can be said out from this log ... no sudden craft movements, no abnormal behavior regarding either the cell voltage or amp draw. This is a typical log from a craft that get a sudden power loss ... everything just ends midair. The only odd thing that I can see is how the battery percentage (black graph) behaves ... 201,38sec into the flight it says 89%, then at 201,45sec it jumps to 81%.

Below a chart with all relevant data ... the pink background color is the time lapse period. Have placed the marker just in the end of the log, all graph values just there can be read out from the legend under the chart.

View attachment 128007

thanks so much for this.
DJI were a little unhelpful but thankfully the company I got it from were brilliant and have sent me a replacement. They have the crashed drone now so maybe I will send them this tomorrow. Thanks again for your help

Reactions: Howard70

View attachment 128007

I don't think this was power loss - it looks more like an FC processor crash, suggesting a firmware problem. The change in battery percentage is spurious - the reported cell voltages didn't change. And note also the unphysical discontinuities in the gimbal pitch and yaw values, together with the stuck gimbal error on that last data set.

...it looks more like an FC processor crash, suggesting a firmware problem.
Could have been that also as the log doesn't give any definitive answer ... without access to more data it's hard to pinpoint anything besides that this wasn't any pilot error.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
Could have been that also as the log doesn't give any definitive answer ... without access to more data it's hard to pinpoint anything besides that this wasn't any pilot error.

Correct, but those kinds of data anomalies are not normally seen before power disconnects. Inference is often all we have.

I’d literally just carried out two other timelapse before I carried out this one, all I did was change the battery and then put it back up???
I think your drone had some critical error internally, it should have RTH, after those log notifications, Glad you got your replacement on the way, Good luck....BTW, go to airdata.com, if your interested, you can upload and look at your flight logs for free, its limited though. I looked at it and I could find no 'smoking gun' other than everything just stopped....

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few of these with the air2s

... I could find no 'smoking gun' other than everything just stopped....
The smoking gun is hidden for us as we only have access to the mobile device .TXT log ... & the recording of that stopped.

-If the power is lost, either due to that the battery comes disconnected, fails internally or some vital electrical component breaks

-or if hardware fails that shut down the motors

-or if the system shuts down due to firmware errors ...

... the log recording stops.

It's also several other scenarios that I can think of that would prevent us to read out the root cause from that log. In short, the system needs to be powered with the motors going & the mobile device with the app running needs to be connected to the RC & the RC to the AC ... if this chain is broken the .TXT log will end.

DJI can decrypt the onboard .DAT log (we can't) if the AC is recovered & that can reveal much more ...

In this case we know that the AC just dropped from the sky after the log ended ... that tells us that the system shut down abruptly even though we can't pinpoint why. So together with the stable AC behavior in the end the only thing that's clear is that it wasn't the pilots fault.

If the mobile device .DAT log from a MA2s is readable for us (it isn't for the Mini 2 for instance ...) that maybe can give us some more to go on from the log event stream there ... before that also was terminated due to the same reasons as for the .TXT log.

I believe that the correct .DAT log ends with FLY014.DAT.

@Rarebreedphotography ... can you check in the device you flew with, if you have that log. It's located in the sub-folder MCDatFlightRecords in the same place as where you got the .TXT log.

The smoking gun is hidden for us as we only have access to the mobile device .TXT log ... & the recording of that stopped.

-If the power is lost, either due to that the battery comes disconnected, fails internally or some vital electrical component breaks

-or if hardware fails that shut down the motors

-or if the system shuts down due to firmware errors ...

... the log recording stops.

It's also several other scenarios that I can think of that would prevent us to read out the root cause from that log. In short, the system needs to be powered with the motors going & the mobile device with the app running needs to be connected to the RC & the RC to the AC ... if this chain is broken the .TXT log will end.

DJI can decrypt the onboard .DAT log (we can't) if the AC is recovered & that can reveal much more ...

In this case we know that the AC just dropped from the sky after the log ended ... that tells us that the system shut down abruptly even though we can't pinpoint why. So together with the stable AC behavior in the end the only thing that's clear is that it wasn't the pilots fault.

If the mobile device .DAT log from a MA2s is readable for us (it isn't for the Mini 2 for instance ...) that maybe can give us some more to go on from the log event stream there ... before that also was terminated due to the same reasons as for the .TXT log.

I believe that the correct .DAT log ends with FLY014.DAT.

@Rarebreedphotography ... can you check in the device you flew with, if you have that log. It's located in the sub-folder MCDatFlightRecords in the same place as where you got the .TXT log.

just looked and the only one in there is from a flight yesterday????

Attachments

• E7CD8192-2860-441F-A409-F782642A6A38.png
    E7CD8192-2860-441F-A409-F782642A6A38.png
    311.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: slup
just looked and the only one in there is from a flight yesterday????
Did you sync your logs to the DJI cloud service after the incident? It's know from other crafts that use the FLY app that the mobile device .DAT logs gets deleted after a sync ...

Well ... then we don't have anything more to dig into unfortunately.

Can you share that DAT that you have anyway ... could be good to see if it's readable or not.

Did you sync your logs to the DJI cloud service after the incident? It's know from other crafts that use the FLY app that the mobile device .DAT logs gets deleted after a sync ...

Can you share that DAT that you have anyway ... could be good to see if it's readable or not.
I did sync it to the cloud through the app on my phone just after the incident. How do I retrieve it?
My new one arrived Thursday so I flew it for the first time yesterday.

Just sent yesterday’s DAT to Dropbox and it won’t open like the txt file?

Attachments

• FAF80D6B-9B49-4BBF-973E-55C4DFBBBA54.png
    FAF80D6B-9B49-4BBF-973E-55C4DFBBBA54.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 8
I did sync it to the cloud through the app on my phone just after the incident. How do I retrieve it?
My new one arrived Thursday so I flew it for the first time yesterday.
If you mean retrieve the .DAT log from the flight with the incident that's now gone ... not possible I'm afraid, DJI have it.

Just sent yesterday’s DAT to Dropbox and it won’t open like the txt file?
Can you share the link to that DAT log?

so when I synced it to the cloud through my fly app does that mean it just vanishes?
When the DJI Fly app syncs to the DJI servers it ends that sync by deleting the mobile device .DAT logs ... the .TXT logs remains though. This was first discovered when the Mavic Mini 1 was released.

Thank's for that ... unfortunately it wasn't fully readable in the usual way through the CsvView PC application. DJI seems to try to keep out the mobile device DAT info from being easily readable ... they have always been accessible in the past, but starting with the Mini 2 they became encrypted with a new key, similar to the .TXT logs from Fly app v1.2.1 but those can be processed through Airdata.com.

When the DJI Fly app syncs to the DJI servers it ends that sync by deleting the mobile device .DAT logs ... the .TXT logs remains though. This was first discovered when the Mavic Mini 1 was released.

Thank's for that ... unfortunately it wasn't fully readable in the usual way through the CsvView PC application. DJI seems to try to keep out the mobile device DAT info from being easily readable ... they have always been accessible in the past, but starting with the Mini 2they became encrypted with a new key, similar to the .TXT logs from Fly app v1.2.1 but those can be processed through Airdata.com.

that’s a shame I’m so intrigued to now what happened?
thank you so much for all of your help today.
It really is appreciated

Thank's for that ... unfortunately it wasn't fully readable in the usual way through the CsvView PC application. DJI seems to try to keep out the mobile device DAT info from being easily readable ... they have always been accessible in the past, but starting with the Mini 2 they became encrypted with a new key, similar to the .TXT logs from Fly app v1.2.1 but those can be processed through Airdata.com.
Although this particular MA2S .DAT didn't yield much it's possible that other MA2S .DATs will yield more data. CsvView(DatCon) gets most of the record definitions from the .DAT itself. They occur early in the .DAT - usually in the first 30 secs. Here the Fly app connected and started recording the .DAT about 54 secs after MA2S was powered up. Without those definitions DatCon can't extract data from those records.

I'm interested to see a .DAT that was created by powering up the MA2S after the Fly app was started. Then we will know if DatCon can extract more data from the MA2S .DAT.

For some reason none of the DJI platforms create a .DAT with a record definition for the GPS records. For these DatCon uses an internal record definition that seems to work pretty well. That's why the GPS data could be extracted from the .DAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: slup and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman