DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s fell out of the sky on 5th flight

The way i see it...Anything built by man has a risk of failure, nothing can be certain not to fail. Buying a good brand like DJI you just have very low risks. I guess out of the millions that are made there are going to be a very small number of failures. I think thats just life with any man made machine. Its just a ***** when its yours. :)

Really not happy! I’ve owed the Mavic zoom for over two years, flown it in numerous country’s and can honestly say I’ve never had signal issues or anything like that? I’ve never crashed it once. Owned the Air 2s for 48 hours and it falls out the sky!!!
I’m just so glad I was in an open field.
If this was an FAA issue with Helicopters, they would Ground the Whole fleet !! in this case the Air 2S. I just wonder how much "Field Testing" the DJI crew actually does. Fly-Aways....and all of the problems we have had with the Mini-2. My self with the Mini-2, I had to send it back to DJI in California because of the
famous "Unable to Pair" issue. I also have the Mavic Air-2 back home that has been sitting around for 6 months, while we Snow Bird to AZ. I'm pretty much done with DJI equipment. I won't buy another one. But I am glad I purchased the Refresh Package with the Combo.

We just had an Impeccable flight 100 ft up and 3000 ft out , flawless with the Smart Controller around the river bed.
Using just the Mini Alien Tech Antenna ..

For new drone pilots , not slamming the Battery in tight is Fault #1 for drones dropping out of the sky,

We did quite a few tests today to get the Air 2S to Fail .

Even the Cranes / Blue Herons Edited :) let us get our AIR 2S in close and believe me they never let you get close ever.

Thank you. Oldblue.

Its the tone of new props , there magic.

Nothing Wrong with Air 2S : }
screenshot_105.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Pouring Rain and land on the Water.

Last edited:
We just had an Impeccable flight 100 ft up and 3000 ft out , flawless with the Smart Controller around the river bed.

For new drone pilots , not slamming the Battery in tight is Fault #1 for drones dropping out of the sky,

Even the Cranes let us get our AIR 2S in close and believe me they never let you get close ever.

View attachment 128073

Phantomrain.org
Those are Great Blue Heron, not Cranes.

Even the Cranes / Blue Herons Edited :) let us get our AIR 2S in close and believe me they never let you get close ever.

Thank you. Oldblue.

View attachment 128073

Phantomrain.org
What are the chances that you are corrected by the "OldBlueHeron.";)

Thank you. Oldblue.

View attachment 128073

Phantomrain.org
So far I love the Air2s however I didn’t expect it to fall out of the sky after only 48hours!
I’ve owned and been flying drones for over 4 years now and one of the first things I do before flight is check batteries, props etc and based on the air2s having metal battery clips it seems very unlikely the battery could not be attached correctly??
According to the flight report which was very kindly interpreted by other users it looks as if the drone had a critical error during a timeplapse.

The "early adopters" biting the dust. EPIC!
You are a bit harsh and if you're like me maybe a little jealous. That said ditto! My first and only "real drone" is a Mavic Air. It was finally purchased because I could talk my wife into it, and the reviews and tube videos left me foaming at the mouth. I love it so much. It has its shortcomings but absolutely exceeded all expectations. The reviews I read frequently referred to firmware update and to check that before going out. I think I have done it maybe 3 times in the year and a half. Its now been many months. Those updates adressed issues like potential flyaway and crash problems. What these things do is rather astounding, I have a phone and a camera that both have a larger customer base, and cost about the same amount as a flying self aware camera that phones home. EXPECT BUGS!
So until work picks back up, ill be flying my rock solid air and figuring our how to make great looking video in post.

Reactions: ninja_geezer

Thank you. Oldblue.

View attachment 128073

Phantomrain.org
Nice crane shot!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
YES!? I think they released this too soon. They rushed to get something on the market. It’s not doing as good as regular air to perform. The first one I bought got fairy for GPS perception and the gimbal was vibrating. They exchanged it for another one and the gimbal doesn’t work the same way either and also has poor reception and other issues. It looks well-built
If that gimbal or camera contacts even tree leaf ranch it will break the gimbal. Literally I have video of it happening it literally swipeD a leaf of a magnolia tree
AND Flew on unaffected. and now the drone gamble again vibrates like the first one.
geating my money back after being a "squeaky wheel" showing more video of the forward obstacle sensors not working at all. i knew it was happening frequently why FLEW snd recorded As I slowly flew it towards and it got close and no warnings or avoidonce ever initiated. it literally collided into me and I caught it with my hand before it crashed into the collie. all settings ffor avoidance were green and was in “ cinema “ mode.
I personally I’m very disappointed with DJI on this one. Stick to the 2Pro or the regular air. Just my opinion. And dji is hearing about it about 10 times/day

You are right but if you think that not everyone writes on Mavicpilots and that here, the community is small compared to all those who bought the Air2s and despite everything, already two users of this forum have found this issue with similar characteristics.

Is it possible to review the log file posted on Airdata?
MAKE THAT 3 PPL NOW. 2 AIR2S DRONES BOLTH GOT RETURNED After the first one clearly with video showing it had no functioning forward sensors. All settings were correct in cinema mode flying slowly towards me it was set to avoid me and fly beside and around me but it flew into me I caught it. Send it back the second one I’ve got back had a gimbal that vibrated brand new. It also had issues detecting obstacles. I’m very disappointed with this quickly released rushed air 2S my advice stick with the two pro

MAKE THAT 3 PPL NOW. 2 AIR2S DRONES BOLTH GOT RETURNED After the first one clearly with video showing it had no functioning forward sensors. All settings were correct in cinema mode flying slowly towards me it was set to avoid me and fly beside and around me but it flew into me I caught it. Send it back the second one I’ve got back had a gimbal that vibrated brand new. It also had issues detecting obstacles. I’m very disappointed with this quickly released rushed air 2S my advice stick with the two pro

These kinds of isolated complaints most often turn out to be operator error. Three such events represents a totally insignificant failure rate. In past releases with actual firmware or hardware issues, the reported failure rates have been much higher.

Reactions: ckoerner
Stuff happens, its new, like any new product, there could be some initial issues that need to be worked out.

The problem usually is those that never ever have a problem rarely post routinely that things are going great. So for the couple incidents here, hundreds or thousand of others that got their 2S are not having a problem.. Not saying its not annoying, but getting it replaced should be relatively painless at this point.
More than a couple of these sorts of reports is and should be considered disturbing for a new aircraft . We can’t have UAVs just dropping from the sky, and true or not reports of this does not instill civilian confidence in unmanned flights.

More than a couple of these sorts of reports is and should be considered disturbing for a new aircraft . We can’t have UAVs just dropping from the sky, and true or not reports of this does not instill civilian confidence in unmanned flights.
Chances are, outside of this forum and perhaps others like it, with the speculation or reports of a few MA2S flight failures, out of the box, "civilians" probably have not heard anything..

Pilots unfortunately probably crash drones routinely, some crashes perhaps more spectacular than others, and unless they come here and post about it, you never hear word one about them. They fix them, or get them repaired and move on.

I assume that every new product release has some initial failures, and this probably does not apply to just drones... Sure, its really annoying if you are the one who gets a device that fails, but as long as it's readily replaced and that works fine, we move on....

Thank you. Oldblue.

View attachment 128073

Phantomrain.org
Yes, battery design is potential failure with mavic air. Not sure about the new ones. I noticed that a edge pin on battery got bent. I think it happened when plugging it into the charger. Almost had a crash. Guess what battery I was using? Video was pretty scary. Really got lucky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer