DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S/iPad mini video issue

RicB7098

Reactions
I recently upgraded from my Mavic Pro to an Air 2S. I also got a new iPad Mini5. Previously I only used Android tablets. I have attached a photo of my iPad Mini screen while flying. It starts out looking good then eventually distorts as show in the picture. If I cycle the gimbal down then up quickly it clears. However, the distortion comes back quickly. When viewed on the sd card, the video is fine. I've tried 3 different cables between the controller and the iPad Mini. All do the same thing. If I fly with my Android phone, all is well. Is there a setting on the iPad Mini or the Air 2S I need to change? Any thoughts what the problem may be?

Attachments

• Mavic ipad video transmission.jpg
    Mavic ipad video transmission.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Wow, that’s odd. It’s almost like the white balance meter is switched on and you’re flying in a very bright area. I use an iPad mini 5 with an Air2S and have never experienced this issue.

Reactions: buddb55
Have you removed the app and then reinstalled it? I too use an Ipad mini 5 and don't have that issue either. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I recently upgraded from my Mavic Pro to an Air 2S. I also got a new iPad Mini5. Previously I only used Android tablets. I have attached a photo of my iPad Mini screen while flying. It starts out looking good then eventually distorts as show in the picture. If I cycle the gimbal down then up quickly it clears. However, the distortion comes back quickly. When viewed on the sd card, the video is fine. I've tried 3 different cables between the controller and the iPad Mini. All do the same thing. If I fly with my Android phone, all is well. Is there a setting on the iPad Mini or the Air 2S I need to change? Any thoughts what the problem may be?
My iPad mini4 won’t even really let me fly. The picture is fine but I get an error that the processor is maxed out and performance will be degraded or something similar so I don’t even try it. The mini4 works fine with my DJI Mini2 setup though, but it’s not very bright in bright sunlight conditions.

My iPad mini4 won’t even really let me fly. The picture is fine but I get an error that the processor is maxed out and performance will be degraded or something similar so I don’t even try it. The mini4 works fine with my DJI Mini2 setup though, but it’s not very bright in bright sunlight conditions.

P.S. You guys using iPad mini 5, what Ram memory are you using? Thinking of getting one since Smart Controller not working well with it.

Last edited:
P.S. You guys using iPad mini 5, what Ram memory are you using? Thinking of getting one since Smart Controller not working well with it.
I think have RAM mixed up with storage? You can't change the RAM in any iDevice.

Also, storage is somewhat irrelevant if you are just flying with the drone. If you use it for video/photo editing as well as flying - that's when you have to consider the storage (GB) you need.

Final thing - regardless of offers/deals, it would be a poor decision to buy the old iPad mini 5 when they have just released a FAR FAR superior iPad mini 6.

I think have RAM mixed up with storage? You can't change the RAM in any iDevice.

Also, storage is somewhat irrelevant if you are just flying with the drone. If you use it for video/photo editing as well as flying - that's when you have to consider the storage (GB) you need.

Final thing - regardless of offers/deals, it would be a poor decision to buy the old iPad mini 5 when they have just released a FAR FAR superior iPad mini 6.
Thanks, yes, I know the difference, just a poor choice of words on my part. We have 4 iPads at home. The only thing about the ipad 6 is that it only has 500 nits...the iphone 11 Pro Max has at least 800 nits BUT the iPad 6 has much more powerful GPU and CPU that would probably do a great job with our needs here. But if 5th generation works well it's probably about to drop in price and that would be nice.

Reactions: pommy
Thanks, yes, I know the difference, just a poor choice of words on my part. We have 4 iPads at home. The only thing about the ipad 6 is that it only has 500 nits...the iphone 11 Pro Max has at least 800 nits BUT the iPad 6 has much more powerful GPU and CPU that would probably do a great job with our needs here. But if 5th generation works well it's probably about to drop in price and that would be nice.

???

Reading comments on here, the mini 4 is hit and miss for some people, so the mini 5 is what they get. But it will soon follow (when DJI mess with the app over time). That’s why the mini 6 would be my choice, for longevity.

You’re spot on with brightness. It’s a catch 22 though. If it’s really sunny, you need the brightness to see the screen, but then the device is in the sun and gets hot - so you cover it and don’t need the brightness ?

Those Tripletek (?) seem to be the only real solution - but ouch on the pocket ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31