DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s, too "Satellite hungry"?

Different situations: in the forest again then one open field and in a village 99% open field
Please help me by pointing out which one is out in the open, so I don't have to open them all to find out.

dji fly app doesn.t seem stable to save and show the the fly logs when not connected to the drone. Several days ago they appeared all, and now when my drone is not connected it shows 0 flights bla bla. But my guess is that

DJIFlightRecord_2021-05-15_[12-57-55].txt

is in open field. If the flight height is beyond 250m the that should be the one

Different situations: in the forest again then one open field and in a village 99% open field
I've looked at three of those flights and the results are mixed.
It looks like the GPS receiver in your drone doesn't deal well with having its skyview blocked by trees, terrain or obstacles.
It works well when out in the open but the way it drops in/out of GPS even with good satellite numbers is puzzling and a concern.

Here are brief summaries from the3 flights I checked:
May 15th, 2021 12:5PM
GPS data for that flight looks like the way it should.
GPS was at 16 sats 5/5 right from the start and numbers ranged from 16-21.

May 15th, 2021 09:52PM
Sat numbers low close to ground level.
Came good at 39 seconds - height 9 ft.
Unexplained minir glitch at 41 and 44 seconds
After that GPS was good with high sat numbers.

Home point might have been close to a building that blocked some of the sky early in the flight?

May 15th, 2021 04:15PM

16 sats from the start but although sat numbers are >15, GPS was in and out until 38 seconds when the drone reached 433 ft.
GPS was good for the remainder of the flight, right down to ground level.
Terrain was a broad river valley, but it doesn't appear that it should have caused GPS issues.

From what I've seen in the data, I think I'd prefer my good old-fashioned pre-Galileo drone than your machine.
If it was my drone I be doing a test flight or two out in clear, wide-open spaces to see how it works with no hint of the sky being blocked.

May 15th, 2021 09:52PM - yes, it was near a building

sooo, you.re back to my conclusion that the new receiver with galileo sux? ?

good to know that. Hopefuly a software update will fix it...

In open fields - except the start-up positioning lag it performs ok. But i am.more interested - as i said 10000 times - when flying in "obstructed areas" - were my ol' MP performed like a champ

But there is also a "good" thing - an "improvement" at air 2s vs old MP:
- The vision sensors perform way better at holding the drone still despite having no gps, and they increased the max height to 30 m [i.ve read 60m in the manual, but the drone is locked at 30m] vs 12 meters [at MP1] with downwards sensors enabled. So i manage to fly okeish were i want. If my drone would want to fly up to 60m when no pos is available it would be perfect - not 100% as i.m kinda tense when flying without gps lock

Maybe .. but I'd want to run some proper tests before I could say conclusively.

Just wondering if they’re using the micro GPS patch antenna in the Air2S to make space for the additional obstacle sensors. If they are it has a lower gain than the standard size antenna used in the larger Mavics. Would be good to know if other Air2S owners are seeing similar.

Just wondering if they’re using the micro GPS patch antenna in the Air2S to make space for the additional obstacle sensors. If they are it has a lower gain than the standard size antenna used in the larger Mavics. Would be good to know if other Air2S owners are seeing similar.
Quite a few are complaining about slow satellite acquisition

Reactions: Baja170
At this point I am wondering if its country or state specific.

Starting point was turning on the drone first followed by the Smart Controller.

I had my fastest time ever of 15 seconds with 17 sats and home point recorded as I took off it went to 21 sats, and stable .

Location - Ohio - Cleveland - Open Sky.
controller Smart Controller with mini antennas.

Reactions: pilifida
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes