DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Release date Wed. June 28?

Really.. a 1" sensor is 116mm2 and a 4/3 is 225mm2! a nearly 100% increase in sensor area might be invisible to a blind person.
In most of the situations you won't see any difference:

The Mavic 3 will be obviously better in low light than any 1 inch sensor but not by a huge margin either.

Look at low light footage comparisons between the 1/1.3 sensor of the Mini 3 Pro and the 1 inch sensor of the Air 2S. The difference might surprise you. The Mini 3 Pro is often brighter with clearer details.

And I guess we will see the same between the Air 3 and the Mavic 3. I'm convinced that with the evolution of technology, an updated 1 inch sensor can do better than a 4/3 sensor. Sensor size is not everything. You have to deal with glass quality as well.

Look at low light footage comparisons between the 1/1.3 sensor of the Mini 3 Pro and the 1 inch sensor of the Air 2S. The difference might surprise you. The Mini 3 Pro is often brighter with clearer details.
Kind of apples and oranges when you're trying to compare the straight-out-of-drone shot when the perception that the one that baked in the over-sharpening and saturation (leaving very little room to edit with) is "better".

Really.. a 1" sensor is 116mm2 and a 4/3 is 225mm2! a nearly 100% increase in sensor area might be invisible to a blind person.
You would be surprised in bright daylight conditions how close in quality both sensors are,in some cases hard to tell
a difference,In dawn and dusk lighting conditions,that is when the larger sensor will start to show a difference.

Look at a side by side comparison between the Mini 3 Pro / Air 2S and the Mavic 3. It's sometimes hard to tell a difference, even in low light. We will see that when the Air 3 will come out but I bet that the image quality will be as good if not better as on the Mavic 3 and in any type of situation. It was already the case between the Air 2S and the Mavic 2 Pro.
So in short, no, you meant nothing meaningful with the term "micro" in reference to one sensor vs. the other.

You would be surprised in bright daylight conditions how close in quality both sensors are,in some cases hard to tell
a difference,In dawn and dusk lighting conditions,that is when the larger sensor will start to show a difference.
Well, yeah, that's the point of larger pixels.

In most of the situations you won't see any difference:

The Mavic 3 will be obviously better in low light than any 1 inch sensor but not by a huge margin either.
"Huge margin" is not the point. Getting the image is.

There's tons of imagery eight in the twilight sweet spot that can be captured with the M3 that simply can't be taken with the A2S. At all. Same true for the A2S vs. the A2.

Bright daylight comparisons are meaningless when it comes to sensitivity and dynamic range. If that's all you're shooting get a Mini3P and save yourself a lot of money. The pics from your daughter's quinceanera will look fabulous.

Yawn ,Sarcasm one more time, I was talking to a different member on here.
Prickly much?

And no, you were talking to everyone. This is a public board. If you don't want everyone to possibly have an opinion on your comments, take the conversation private.

By the way, no sarcasm was intended.

Just to jump in.
This is sounding very much like the photo forums on the internet.
So much theory.
You can split hairs all you like in the end what matters is the person taking the photo.

"Huge margin" is not the point. Getting the image is.

There's tons of imagery eight in the twilight sweet spot that can be captured with the M3 that simply can't be taken with the A2S. At all. Same true for the A2S vs. the A2.

Bright daylight comparisons are meaningless when it comes to sensitivity and dynamic range. If that's all you're shooting get a Mini3P and save yourself a lot of money. The pics from your daughter's quinceanera will look fabulous.
Look at how well the night image is rendered on a sensor as small as the one on the Mini 3 Pro. Surprisingly good considering its size no?

That's what I meant when I said that a recent smaller sensor can be close to larger older one even in difficult situations.

So if the Mini 3 Pro can do that, I imagine that the Air 3 will do considerably better and could very well match the image quality of the Mavic 3 series.

Time will tell

Look at a side by side comparison between the Mini 3 Pro / Air 2S and the Mavic 3. It's sometimes hard to tell a difference, even in low light. We will see that when the Air 3 will come out but I bet that the image quality will be as good if not better as on the Mavic 3 and in any type of situation. It was already the case between the Air 2S and the Mavic 2 Pro.

I sold my Mavic 3 and get the Mini 3. I cannot tell any difference in the *PHOTO* in daylight/outdoor shots. I dont fly drone at night. And to add insult, Facebook compression is horrible and really mess up your good photo. I am happy with my Mini 3. It is so small, I can take it on vacation now. Very happy.

I sold my Mavic 3 and get the Mini 3. I cannot tell any difference in the *PHOTO* in daylight/outdoor shots. I dont fly drone at night. And to add insult, Facebook compression is horrible and really mess up your good photo. I am happy with my Mini 3. It is so small, I can take it on vacation now. Very happy.
My Mini 3 Pro is my most flown craft simply by virtue of being so easy to transport and deploy.
It all comes down to the old adage of "The best camera in the world is the one you have with you".

Very good choice. I tried to sell my unflown Mavic 3 Classic but I don't have any hope since I would loose too much money. You can now find the Classic for 1000 euros new here where I live. That's 750 euros cheaper than few days ago...

But the Air 2s has half the flight time of the Mini 3 pro regardless of what the official figures are.
I still get around 22 min flight time with my air2s. Focal length is so much better on the air2s. 22mm vs 24 mm I believe. Not a huge difference, but it is for me. photo quality is also much better. I had a mini 3 pro. Liked the bird, frustrated by the camera, I felt like I needed to use filters to reduce the amount of light or put on a wide angle filter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pommy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin