DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Release date Wed. June 28?

I still get around 22 min flight time with my air2s. Focal length is so much better on the air2s. 22mm vs 24 mm I believe. Not a huge difference, but it is for me. photo quality is also much better. I had a mini 3 pro. Liked the bird, frustrated by the camera, I felt like I needed to use filters to reduce the amount of light or put on a wide angle filter
About 26-28 on average here.

Between the extra data from the 1", wind resistance, and third party app capabilities while up to 40 sounds nice I can get what I want within the 25-28, I'm not trying to fly way beyond visual like some people.

About 26-28 on average here.

Between the extra data from the 1", wind resistance, and third party app capabilities while up to 40 sounds nice I can get what I want within the 25-28, I'm not trying to fly way beyond visual like some people.
I’m fairly satisfied with results I get from the air2s vs money spent. Better would be fx sensor variable aperture, but… 😁 If all I did was post photos online it wouldn’t make much of a difference, but I like to do gallery prints once in a while

It's business yes but it's a double edged sword as more and more people will start to think twice before investing so much money in a DJI drone that will be supplanted by a new iteration of the same drone 6 months later.

I will sell it if ever someone still wants the Classic cause but I'm not going to sell it for peanuts either.
How dare they make product improvements!

I’m fairly satisfied with results I get from the air2s vs money spent. Better would be fx sensor variable aperture, but… 😁 If all I did was post photos online it wouldn’t make much of a difference, but I like to do gallery prints once in a while
I primarily went with the Air 2S for the videos mostly, and for the little extra wind resistance (and now obsessed with doing the mapping stuff for fun).

I do feel like though the Air 3 will have approximately 40 min flight time because it puts it on par with the Mini 3 and Mavic 3 already having about the same with the rear loaded battery. Variable aperture would be cool, but they're going to keep that to their top end Mavic Line.

If this craft really does have the same sensor as the Mini 3, then I see a used Mavic 3 in my future.

If this craft really does have the same sensor as the Mini 3, then I see a used Mavic 3 in my future.
I highly doubt they would go backwards on the sensor size for the Air series. Since it's a dual-lens, it's more likely the tele lens is using a smaller 1/2.3" sensor much like the original Mavic 3's 7x lens.

Reactions: DanJ
Where are you confirming the sensor size and focal length? That's not just 'slight".
The sensor for the main camera is made by Omnivision OV48C 48mp.
1/1.3 sensor size,F1.7 and the tele lense is 70mm F 2.8 1/1.3 sensor size.
May have seen this over on the DJI forum.

The sensor for the main camera is made by Omnivision OV48C 48mp.
1/1.3 sensor size,F1.7 and the tele lense is 70mm F 2.8 1/1.3 sensor size.
May have seen this over on the DJI forum.
1/1.3 (0.8 inch) is not that much smaller than a 1" sensor. So I would still call it slight.

1/1.3 (0.8 inch) is not that much smaller than a 1" sensor. So I would still call it slight.
If you normally crop from a 1" sensor, then right, its just slight if no difference. But it is. If you use all the data from a 1" sensor, then it's a big difference. Thats like saying an FX sensor is just slight from a medium format.

Reactions: pommy
If you normally crop from a 1" sensor, then right, its just slight if no difference. But it is. If you use all the data from a 1" sensor, then it's a big difference. Thats like saying an FX sensor is just slight from a medium format.
It just looks like that is what the new Air 3 is going to have.
Only time will tell how good it is.Maybe the main sensor in the air 3
will have been tweaked by DJI to up the performance,and bring it up to the level
of a 1" sensor or maybe surpassing it.Should be interesting when it is released.
My guess is it will surpass the Air2S by a wide margin,especially with the other
upgraded stuff.Battery,controller and so on.

It just looks like that is what the new Air 3 is going to have.
Only time will tell how good it is.Maybe the main sensor in the air 3
will have been tweaked by DJI to up the performance,and bring it up to the level
of a 1" sensor or maybe surpassing it.Should be interesting when it is released.
My guess is it will surpass the Air2S by a wide margin,especially with the other
upgraded stuff.Battery,controller and so on.
What would be nice is if they gave an option to have one lens 1" sensor camera or the 2 lens camera. At one point I heard that on the rumors. If that were the case, I'd have a look at the Air3 with one lens when it comes out.
If not... I'll gladly keep the air 2s for a while longer'

Reactions: Wreckhunter
What would be nice is if they gave an option to have one lens 1" sensor camera or the 2 lens camera. At one point I heard that on the rumors. If that were the case, I'd have a look at the Air3 with one lens when it comes out.
If not... I'll gladly keep the air 2s for a while longer'
I have an air 2,and an Autel Lite+(great camera on this one).
But I am still really interested in the Air 3 and a good part of that
reason is the second 70mm lens,which if it is good would work out
super for the type of photography I do.

I have an air 2,and an Autel Lite+(great camera on this one).
But I am still really interested in the Air 3 and a good part of that
reason is the second 70mm lens,which if it is good would work out
super for the type of photography I do.
If that works for you... thats great. I use the Nikon Z system. I have it covered from 14mm to ( when I receive it ) 600mm. I mostly use 14-30 for everything I shoot. I do have one 11mm manual focus lens, but very light usage on that one. So, 22mm in the air is great for me. If I need any more than that, I just fly closer :)

I highly doubt they would go backwards on the sensor size for the Air series. Since it's a dual-lens, it's more likely the tele lens is using a smaller 1/2.3" sensor much like the original Mavic 3's 7x lens.
I also doubt that DJI would go backwards on sensor size on the Air 3.
As we get closer to release date more info will be revealed.
In the meantime, I just got back from a morning shoot with the Air 2S and it's still a superb value for the money.

The 1/1.3" sensor has an area of 69,12 square mm,
the 1" sensor has 116,16 square mm.
That is almost 70% larger, far more than "slight"

This is one of those subjects that could lead to endless arguments,but no I am not going to engage
in this one

This is one of those subjects that could lead to endless arguments,but no I am not going to engage
in this one
Arguments about whether those numbers are correct or not?
Or if the size difference is "slight" or not?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure