DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Release date Wed. June 28?

That was an educated guess based upon stuff floating on the internet.

Now that DJI has a sale, including the Air2S until the 30th, it doesn't make sense that they would steal sales from the Air 2S by making an announcement/release until AFTER the sale.

BTW, to those worried about upgrading, with drones it's no different than cameras.
I have two digital Nikons, a D800E and a D850. Both take excellent photos. Still.
Would I like to upgrade? Yes.
Does it make sense to spend a few thousand dollars for an incremental upgrade? Not for me.
The same goes for drones.
The latest and greatest may or may not be worth it to you.
Digital technology hasn't gotten to the point where you can drive a car for ten years and it still you where you are going.
Drone technology is still in the leap frog stage.
Unfortunately the Air2s is not the star of this promotion and I doubt DJI is relying on this sale to move a bunch of Air2s drones; if anything it's just a part of the big show and no one is worried about how it comes off. Primary, it is likely DJI cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, you don't launch *anything* in the middle of your annual sale because you don't want to overburden the support, impact the logistics, affect the supply chain, confused the DJI workers, store people, etc. If DJI is like most companies, they have launch windows or blocks of dates where you launch new product since you don't want new stuff to show up any time of the year, any time of the month. Everyone can plan around it. During the planning, the promotion don't go on top of the launch windows. All of this is irrespective of the drone models or the contents of the promotion. ie. you wouldn't want to launch FPV2 this week either. That would be my take on why it's likely you won't see Air3 until next week. Doesn't DJI launch on Tuesdays I thought?

That was an educated guess based upon stuff floating on the internet.

Now that DJI has a sale, including the Air2S until the 30th, it doesn't make sense that they would steal sales from the Air 2S by making an announcement/release until AFTER the sale.

BTW, to those worried about upgrading, with drones it's no different than cameras.
I have two digital Nikons, a D800E and a D850. Both take excellent photos. Still.
Would I like to upgrade? Yes.
Does it make sense to spend a few thousand dollars for an incremental upgrade? Not for me.
The same goes for drones.
The latest and greatest may or may not be worth it to you.
Digital technology hasn't gotten to the point where you can drive a car for ten years and it still you where you are going.
Drone technology is still in the leap frog stage.
It would take a substantial upgrade in camera for me to want to upgrade. The Air2S, which is not the best camera on DJI drones, is good enough for what I do. Now if it were a micro 4/3 sensor with interchangeable lenses... I might look at it. I am interested in the new tech to see what they come up with next, just not that interested in purchasing it.
Like you, I have a Nikon camera. I upgraded to the Z6ii from a D700. Sold all F lenses and bought the Z14-30, Z24-120, and am waiting on the Z180-600. That will more than likely be my last camera outfit I own. I'll see how long I can keep the air2s airborne. I presume as long as batteries are available, it should fly until I do something stupid and crash it, or DJI just stops supporting it and allowing me to log in with it. When that happens, I will probably give up the drone hobby completely.

well if we can believe the latest geeksvana video released today on YT ,the new Air 3 is just around the corner ,but for us in the UK, it will have to be under 500g to be worth buying ,or even with an A2 C of C it will still have the same A2 classification in the open category,

Reactions: miemo
Well the photos I quoted distinctly show both a two-camera gimbal and a single-camera gimbal.
The single camera model you are looking at is a possible Mini 4 in testing.
The two camera drone is the new air 3 that should be released anytime now.
So no single camera model for a while yet.

Alarming to see another new drone is coming out with more new controller.

I remember buying my Mavic 3 last year and for the same price, I can get it in 3 lens.

The drop in value of your old drone is amazing.

Alarming to see another new drone is coming out with more new controller.

I remember buying my Mavic 3 last year and for the same price, I can get it in 3 lens.

The drop in value of your old drone is amazing.
Wait to see the price of the Air 3 and your Mavic 3 will loose half of his value.

Reactions: maggior
Mavic 3 has a variable aperture. Air 3 will not. That’s the key differentiator.

Reactions: maggior
Mavic 3 has a variable aperture. Air 3 will not. That’s the key differentiator.
Not the only one, but is a significant one (aside from being a micro-4/3 sensor vs 1")

Seems if they come out with a Phantom 5, the main difference on that to the Mavic 3 Pro (or any of the non-enterprise models) is that it'll have a mechanical shutter while the Mavic won't.

Only worrisome thing with DJI is that because almost every model currently is required to be tied to an account, DJI could just simply drop support for older models after x number of years where you can't even get them to launch of the app won't even let you open it. Like what if their server went down or got blocked, drone would be unable to fly after a certain amount of time when the app forces you to try to login again.
I'm no lawyer, but I suspect if your perfectly well-working drone suddenly became completely unable to fly because of something DJI did you'd have a pretty strong tort case in most countries.

Problem is, the prospect of success in a lawsuit isn't enough. Has to be worth it. The opportunity cost in pursuing such a case IMO isn't – by quite a big margin.

What to do? Flip DJI off, come here and complain mightily, then go buy a new DJI drone. Before you get the DT's from not flying 🤣

Yeah, but honestly the difference between a micro 4/3 rd sensor and a good 1 inch sensor is almost invisible.
Is a micro 4/3 (1.33") different in some other ways from the 1" sensor, or is "micro" meaningless in the above statement?

And I disagree... assuming the same pixel density, 33% larger pixels will gather 33% more light, which is a large difference in noise and Dynamic Range.

Resolution ain't everything. In fact at the resolutions we're working with these days, noise, low-light performance and DR are of much greater interest to many of us.

👍 for the 4/3" sensor 😁

Reactions: Stimmy
I'm no lawyer, but I suspect if your perfectly well-working drone suddenly became completely unable to fly because of something DJI did you'd have a pretty strong tort case in most countries.

Problem is, the prospect of success in a lawsuit isn't enough. Has to be worth it. The opportunity cost in pursuing such a case IMO isn't – by quite a big margin.

What to do? Flip DJI off, come here and complain mightily, then go buy a new DJI drone. Before you get the DT's from not flying 🤣
Here in the US it's more likely that US ISPs would block DJI servers due to sanctions or such, before DJI themselves shut them down.

Is a micro 4/3 (1.33") different in some other ways from the 1" sensor, or is "micro" meaningless in the above statement?

And I disagree... assuming the same pixel density, 33% larger pixels will gather 33% more light, which is a large difference in noise and Dynamic Range.

Resolution ain't everything. In fact at the resolutions we're working with these days, noise, low-light performance and DR are of much greater interest to many of us.

👍 for the 4/3" sensor 😁
Look at a side by side comparison between the Mini 3 Pro / Air 2S and the Mavic 3. It's sometimes hard to tell a difference, even in low light. We will see that when the Air 3 will come out but I bet that the image quality will be as good if not better as on the Mavic 3 and in any type of situation. It was already the case between the Air 2S and the Mavic 2 Pro.

Reactions: chong67

👍 for the 4/3" sensor 😁
as mentioned above 1" sensor area is 116 sq mm. 4/3s have 225 sq mm.

The "Micro" part is meaningless WRT the sensor - 4/3rds is the sensor size developed by Olympus and a couple of other DSLR camera companies that had penta prism (reflex) and moving mirror shutter systems..

When Olympus and Panasonic developed their mirrorless digital cameras the lenses and mounts were able to be shrunk to a much smaller size (because the sensor is much closer to the lens system without a mirror-box) which they called Micro 4/3 and created the M4/3 standard which distinguished the mounts and lenses from the 4/3 mount lenses which were much larger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipshot