DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 specs leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
You going to get the same picture quality as the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro on the Air 3. Same sensor size.
No. Sensor size is important, but by no means the only important factor.

We don't know anything other than it's the same model sensor. We don't know if is a later generation (it's been a year), if it's being programmed and used the same way as the Mini 3, what on-chip features are being used and what may be done with the data in a likely more powerful GPU, etc.

Even something as simple as test binning off the production line can make a difference. Chip manufacturers do it all the time. Test them, and sell the quietest 10% at a higher price with better specs.

There are all sorts of other factors impacting sensor performance that can make a smaller sensor blow a 1" out of the water. Making comparisons based solely on sensor size is a fools errand.

No. Sensor size is important, but by no means the only important factor.

We don't know anything other than it's the same model sensor. We don't know if is a later generation (it's been a year), if it's being programmed and used the same way as the Mini 3, what on-chip features are being used and what may be done with the data in a likely more powerful GPU, etc.

Even something as simple as test binning off the production line can make a difference. Chip manufacturers do it all the time. Test them, and sell the quietest 10% at a higher price with better specs.

There are all sorts of other factors impacting sensor performance that can make a smaller sensor blow a 1" out of the water. Making comparisons based solely on sensor size is a fools errand.
I completely agree with everything you say.
Only when the Air 3 is finally released and real life examples are made available can anyone say with any certainty, is it worth it or not.

Reactions: VenomXts
You going to get the same picture quality as the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro on the Air 3. Same sensor size.

You only want to get the Air 3 because it is heavier and withheld stronger wind better than the Mini 3
Have to completely disagree with you on this.I am sure with the way technology advances
that The Air 3 ,even if the sensors are the same size as what is in the mini 3,and mini 3 pro.
Will give superior results,I would not be one bit surprised if the cameras in the Air 3 give a
1" sensor a run for their money,and in fact could be better in some cases.It has to be better.
That's why I am still going to call the Air 3 a major upgrade over the Air 2S.They had a long time
to work on this,doubtful it is going to be a downgrade.

Have to completely disagree with you on this.I am sure with the way technology advances
that The Air 3 ,even if the sensors are the same size as what is in the mini 3,and mini 3 pro.
Will give superior results,I would not be one bit surprised if the cameras in the Air 3 give a
1" sensor a run for their money,and in fact could be better in some cases.It has to be better.
That's why I am still going to call the Air 3 a major upgrade over the Air 2S.They had a long time
to work on this,doubtful it is going to be a downgrade.
as the old adage says.. size matters. So no. I disagree. sensor size does matter. I don't really care about tech advancements. The only difference now between the air 3 and air2s and mini 3 is that the air 3 has two cameras.

Reactions: gppms and chong67
as the old adage says.. size matters. So no. I disagree. sensor size does matter. I don't really care about tech advancements. The only difference now between the air 3 and air2s and mini 3 is that the air 3 has two cameras.

But Google proved that computational photography can produce better and better results with the same small sensor used over generations of the Pixel.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
So in other words a 1" sensor is massively larger than a 1/1.3 (0.8 ) in sensor.
OK that is all I have to say.

So in other words a 1" sensor is massively larger than a 1/1.3 (0.8 ) in sensor.
A 1" sensor is almost 70% larger than a 1/1.3". Whether that is "massive" or not is up to each to decide.

Just to make things a little bit more clear in terms of the size comparison I added an image.
4/3": 17,3x13 = 224,9mm²
1": 13,2x8,8 = 116,6mm²
1/1.3": 9,6x7,2 = 69,12mm²

First of all, as a proud Air2S user, I am disapointed about the smaller sensor.
But there a some things to consider:
Untill someone makes a comparison we can't say anything. I really think DJI will suprise use. In some twitter leaks about the battery there was something like "some of the higher battery capacity will be used for image optimization". I belive the Air3 will have a pretty "decent" processor (for a drone).

I was thinking about getting the Mavic3Pro, but it looks like the camera setup is to heavy for the gimbal and also the main lens struggels to give sensor the optical performace it would need or could handle.
I think this won't be an issue on the Air3. Also a lot of Mavic3Pro users are thrilled about the 3x camera and nobody gives a **** about the fact that it's a 1/1.3" sensor.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: DanJ
Of course a physical bigger sensor is going to be better than a smaller one. This is physics, big sensor, more lights in.

No idea why The Air 3 downgrade to a smaller sensor. If it is better photos then the Mini 3, then its all trickery and gimmicks using software, like the joke on 48 MP using software code, which is worst than 12 MP original. That's sad.

Yes the Air 3 will have 2 cameras and the other advantage is bigger battery and sturdy in the strong winds. My Mini 3 is flopping all over the place in small winds. Camera spec, they are all the same in the sensor.

Just to make things a little bit more clear in terms of the size comparison I added an image.
4/3": 17,3x13 = 224,9mm²
1": 13,2x8,8 = 116,6mm²
1/1.3": 9,6x7,2 = 69,12mm²

First of all, as a proud Air2S user, I am disapointed about the smaller sensor.
But there a some things to consider:
Untill someone makes a comparison we can't say anything. I really think DJI will suprise use. In some twitter leaks about the battery there was something like "some of the higher battery capacity will be used for image optimization". I belive the Air3 will have a pretty "decent" processor (for a drone).

I was thinking about getting the Mavic3Pro, but it looks like the camera setup is to heavy for the gimbal and also the main lens struggels to give sensor the optical performace it would need or could handle.
I think this won't be an issue on the Air3. Also a lot of Mavic3Pro users are thrilled about the 3x camera and nobody gives a **** about the fact that it's a 1/1.3" sensor.
All of what you mentioned makes perfect sense,I ruled out the mavic 3 pro myself as it is
more than I need and also have heard of some issues with the main camera.I have an older
Air 2 ,and this year went with a different brand.Autel Lite+ with a 1"sensor,which has a great
camera.However I am going to give the Air 3 a very serious look,I am a not real concerned
about the 1/1.3 sensors at all,for one with both sensors being the same size,maybe their will
not be any mechanical issues.I really think the Air 3 is going to be a super drone.
DJI must of had a reason why they did not use a 1' sensor for the main camera,could it be,Size
to keep weight down,cost to keep it under the Mavic 3 classic or their supplier does not currently
make a 1' sensor,I could and may be wrong here.Anyway enjoy your Air2S,you have a great drone.
enjoy your day.

as the old adage says.. size matters. So no. I disagree. sensor size doesbit rate?

Yes it does. But it is not the only thing that matters. If that were true a 1" sensor today would be no better than a 1" sensor from 2018.

I don't really care about tech advancements.

That put charitably is foolish. As they say ignorance is bliss.

Reactions: costica1234
My first thought is this: the sensor size thing is disappointing and if the image quality on the main camera is worse than the Air 2s I'll probably skip this. I've got an Air 2s and a mini 3 and a longer lens just isn't enough incentive to upgrade.

My second thought is this: I'm just doing this for fun and making stuff to post on Instagram for maybe 20 - 30 of my friends so maybe getting hung up on sensor size and image quality is stupid.

I guess I'm torn. The stuff I get out of my Mini 3 is pretty decent so maybe I'm being dumb about this. Guess I'll have to wait for the reviews. I really love the stuff I get out of my Air 2s and I just don't want to feel like I'm downgrading from that in any way.

If that were true a 1" sensor today would be no better than a 1" sensor from 2018.
True if we were comparing a 1" sensor to a 1" sensor. But here we are not. The data loss of the smaller is still data loss.
I was talking about tech advances when comparing the two sensors and was taken out of context... but.
If I had to choose between a camera that had a FX sensor or a crop sensor, I choose the FX sensor any day. And up from that, if I had to choose a medium format over a FX, it would be medium format.
The differences are huge. and so is the differences between the 1" sensor and the 1/1.3 and/or the cell phone sensor.
Whatever.

My first thought is this: the sensor size thing is disappointing and if the image quality on the main camera is worse than the Air 2s I'll probably skip this. I've got an Air 2s and a mini 3 and a longer lens just isn't enough incentive to upgrade.

My second thought is this: I'm just doing this for fun and making stuff to post on Instagram for maybe 20 - 30 of my friends so maybe getting hung up on sensor size and image quality is stupid.

I guess I'm torn. The stuff I get out of my Mini 3 is pretty decent so maybe I'm being dumb about this. Guess I'll have to wait for the reviews. I really love the stuff I get out of my Air 2s and I just don't want to feel like I'm downgrading from that in any way.
I too am disappointed by the sensor not being as large as the Air 2S.
I use two full frame Nikon DSLRs in addition to the drone and have been impressed.
Having said that, I think that we can argue all we want about sensor size but until we see real world images the point is purely academic.
I'm holding out hope that DJI will indeed have made the image quality superior on the Air 3 to that of the Air 2S.

Last edited:
OK that is all I have to say.

Yes, it is much bigger.

Diagonal measurements are used as a spec for convenience, and common understanding. However, when it comes to gathering light, it's the area that's important, not the linear diagonal measurement. The area scales as the square of the linear increase... So while a 1" sensor is 30% larger diagonally, it's 69% larger in area.

IOW, each photodiode will have two-thirds more area gathering light. Pretty significant.

Last edited:
True if we were comparing a 1" sensor to a 1" sensor. But here we are not.

Correct. We're comparing a 1" sensor that is at least 2 years older technology to a current day sensor with half the surface area. On what basis do you claim the newer sensor isn't more sensitive, lower noise, wider dynamic range than the double-size sensor? In fact, perhaps more than double the performance thereby making it superior at sensing the same incident light?

Well, Mark, you don't know. Be honest here.

Also, I doubt you are claiming there has been NO improvement in sensitivity and noise floor, are you? Do you know it doesn't overcome the smaller size? No, you do not.

The data loss of the smaller is still data loss.

What data loss?

So many people don't understand the following: An f1.7 lens delivers the same amount of light to the surface of a 1/1.3" sensor as a 1" sensor. It's simply focused on a smaller area. Think of a magnifying glass when you were a kid focusing the sun on a tiny spot to burn it. Same photns spread over the area of the glass disc, all directed onto a much tinier circle.

So, the same number of photons hit each photodiode on the smaller sensor as on the larger.

I was talking about tech advances when comparing the two sensors and was taken out of context... but.
If I had to choose between a camera that had a FX sensor or a crop sensor, I choose the FX sensor any day. And up from that, if I had to choose a medium format over a FX, it would be medium format.
The differences are huge. and so is the differences between the 1" sensor and the 1/1.3 and/or the cell phone sensor.
Whatever.

It's certainly your prerogative to make uniformed choices and suffer as a result. I evaluate a sensor based on the resolution, noise floor, and dynamic range primarily. Size is irrelevant. If a larger sensor performs more poorly than a newer, smaller sensor, it will take crappier images by comparison. There's no way around it.

In breaking with so many here, I'm cheering for smaller and smaller sensors. They make other very useful features possible in a compact gimbal possible like optical zoom.

A 1" sensor is almost 70% larger than a 1/1.3". Whether that is "massive" or not is up to each to decide.
69%.

1/1.3 = 0.77

1-0.77 = 0.23

0.23/0.77 = 0.2987 ==> ~30% larger in linear dimensions (height, width, diagonal)

1.3² = 1.69 ==> 69% larger in area

A 1" sensor has a 69% larger surface area than a 1/1.3" sensor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13