DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 specs leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course a physical bigger sensor is going to be better than a smaller one. This is physics, big sensor, more lights in.

No, that's incorrect. A bigger sensor spreads the same light over a larger surface area, all else being the same.

No idea why The Air 3 downgrade to a smaller sensor. If it is better photos then the Mini 3, then its all trickery and gimmicks using software, like the joke on 48 MP using software code, which is worst than 12 MP original. That's sad.

Sigh.

Yes, it is much bigger.

Diagonal measurements are used as a spec for convenience, and common understanding. However, when it comes to gathering light, it's the area that's important, not the linear diagonal measurement. The area scales as the square of the linear increase... So while a 1" sensor is 23% larger diagonally, it's 51% larger in area.

IOW, each photodiode will have twice the area gathering light. Pretty significant.
On a bright sunny day you would not be able to tell the difference,low light yes.

Correct. We're comparing a 1" sensor that is at least 2 years older technology to a current day sensor with half the surface area. On what basis do you claim the newer sensor isn't more sensitive, lower noise, wider dynamic range than the double-size sensor? In fact, perhaps more than double the performance thereby making it superior at sensing the same incident light?

Well, Mark, you don't know. Be honest here.

Also, I doubt you are claiming there has been NO improvement in sensitivity and noise floor, are you? Do you know it doesn't overcome the smaller size? No, you do not.

What data loss?

So many people don't understand the following: An f1.7 lens delivers the same amount of light to the surface of a 1/1.3" sensor as a 1" sensor. It's simply focused on a smaller area. Think of a magnifying glass when you were a kid focusing the sun on a tiny spot to burn it. Same photns spread over the area of the glass disc, all directed onto a much tinier circle.

So, the same number of photons hit each photodiode on the smaller sensor as on the larger.

It's certainly your prerogative to make uniformed choices and suffer as a result. I evaluate a sensor based on the resolution, noise floor, and dynamic range primarily. Size is irrelevant. If a larger sensor performs more poorly than a newer, smaller sensor, it will take crappier images by comparison. There's no way around it.

In breaking with so many here, I'm cheering for smaller and smaller sensors. They make other very useful features possible in a compact gimbal possible like optical zoom.
If DJI put a 1" sensor in an Air 3.. then we aren't talking about 2 year old technology.
a 1" sensor with todays technology is going to be better than a 1/1.3 sensor with todays technology.
I can tell you that my air2s took better photos mid day, evenings, mornings, than the mini 3 pro did. Could be the 1.7 aperture that caused it, but results definitely were better with the air2s.
If you want smaller and smaller... go for it. I guess thats why there are so many medium format landscape shooters out there.

If DJI put a 1" sensor in an Air 3.. then we aren't talking about 2 year old technology.
a 1" sensor with todays technology is going to be better than a 1/1.3 sensor with todays technology.
Of course!

But that's not what we're comparing here is it?

The debate has been about if a new Air 3 model with a state of the art 1/1.3" sensor will produce superior images than the existing Air 2S with a 2+ year old 1" sensor. This entire side discussion originated because of several owners of A2S drones saying they'll pass on the A3 simply on the basis of the smaller sensor alone.

Last edited:
I think I'll write up an "image sensors 101" and post it in General. There is a great deal of misunderstanding about image sensors around here, and outright ignorance about how they work.

A few vital specs of an image sensor that impact performance more than size are noise behavior, and linear dynamic range. Yet we never discuss these when comparing sensors. Just size.

[Removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want smaller and smaller... go for it. I guess thats why there are so many medium format landscape shooters out there.
I want smaller and better.

Can be done.

I think I'll write up an "image sensors 101" and post it in General. There is a great deal of misunderstanding about image sensors around here, and outright ignorance about how they work.

A few vital specs of an image sensor that impact performance more than size are noise behavior, and linear dynamic range. Yet we never discuss these when comparing sensors. Just size.

As the ladies say (about imaging sensors 😁), size ain't everything... it's how you use it too 🤣🤣
When you do... include a reference to why Full size sensors have better low light capabilities, less noise, better dynamic range than crop sensors do. They all have their place... but apples to apples. But if you believe small and better, then why bother making full frame, medium frame cameras? just give all the pros a cell phone.. Micro 4/3rds didn't fare well either from what I have seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a bright sunny day you would not be able to tell the difference,low light yes.

Yes you would – in the shadows. AEB based HDR is a means to deal with this limitation.

Now, the wider the dynamic range of the sensor, the less of a problem this is. That's one way technology advance can make a newer, smaller sensor surpass an older, larger sensor of the same resolution. Today's 1/2" sensors far surpass the 1/2" in the Mavic Pro, and at higher resolutions too!

When you do... include a reference to why Full size sensors have better low light capabilities, less noise, better dynamic range than crop sensors do. They all have their place... but apples to apples. But if you believe small and better, then why bother making full frame, medium frame cameras? just give all the pros a cell phone.
You say this as if there aren't professionals using high end cell phone cameras for their product.

You'd be wrong.

Which full size sensors, and released what year? Model number and manufacturer, please. Same for the smaller sensor.

I'd be happy to compare a 2015 full size sensor to a 2023 1/1.3" sensor. After all, that's the type of comparison we've been discussing.

EDIT: What was I thinking when I fell for this? No, I'm not going to make such a meaningless, useless comparison. We're discussing and comparing sensors in camera drones. In particular consumer / prosumer models made by DJI. If you have something helpful to contribute, it would be welcome.

If you just want to make noise that has no relevance to the upcoming Air 3, you'll have to do that on your own without my participation.

Last edited:
Reactions: mic.kue
When you do... include a reference to why Full size sensors have better low light capabilities, less noise, better dynamic range than crop sensors do. They all have their place... but apples to apples. But if you believe small and better, then why bother making full frame, medium frame cameras? just give all the pros a cell phone.. Micro 4/3rds didn't fare well either from what I have seen.

Low light, less noise, better dynamic range .. YES, but I am shooting outdoor, lots of light. Night shot, window pull, deep inside the cave, yah you need bigger sensor.

Yes you would – in the shadows. AEB based HDR is a means to deal with this limitation.

Now, the wider the dynamic range of the sensor, the less of a problem this is. That's one way technology advance can make a newer, smaller sensor surpass an older, larger sensor of the same resolution. Today's 1/2" sensors far surpass the 1/2" in the Mavic Pro, and at higher resolutions too!

Most of the time you don't need AEB if you shoot outdoors.

I have made my own brackets, just slide the EV -1 or +1 and resave the file, there's your bracket there.

This Thread has gone sideways and argumentative.
1689435666564.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1