DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 top speed in normal mode 12m/s

solidhouse

Reactions
Does anyone know if it’s common for the Air series to only have a top speed of 12 m/s in normal mode? I’m a little surprised that it is not 15 m/s like the Mavic 3.

Does anyone know if it’s common for the Air series to only have a top speed of 12 m/s in normal mode? I’m a little surprised that it is not 15 m/s like the Mavic 3.
The specs for other Air models are as follows:

Air
19 m/s (S Mode)
8 m/s (P Mode)

Air 2
19 m/s (S Mode)
12 m/s (N Mode)

Air 2S
19 m/s (S Mode)
15 m/s (N Mode)

Air 3 specs don't show a top speed for Normal Mode.
They just show a top speed of 21 m/s, presumably for Sport Mode.

If you are only seeing 12 m/s, check if it's the same with obstacle avoidance disabled.

Normal Mode
.... the maximum pitch angle is 30° and the maximum flight speed is 12 m/s.
So they've nobbled the A3 and OA won't make any difference.

And you're aiding and abetting by keeping it a secret.
No I am not. I gave the page reference and it's a fairly simple thing to look it up. Besides, by implication the OP already knows the speed limit, they appear to cite it.
In addition the reply was phrased that way so as to not possibly embarass Meta4 i.e. I gave Meta4 a get out clause by passing the buck to DJI.

Last edited:
No I am not. I gave the page reference and it's a fair simple thing to look it up. Besides, by implication the OP already knows the speed limit, they appear to cite it.
In addition the reply was phrased that way so as to not possibly embarass Meta4 i.e. I gave Meta4 a get out clause by passing the buck to DJI.
I was joking. I'm a reader of manuals, but couldn't muster the curiosity to look up a value on a model I don't own. Maybe I'll badger @Meta4 about not immediately updating the table in his post.

I'm feeling better about being able to outrun an Air 3 with my dusty old Air 2S.

It looks like the work around for this is to change the maximum speed in sports mode to 15m/s in order to cruise. It’s not a complete deal breaker after all.

The side sensors double duty as upwards obstacle avoidance sensors and thus have been tilted slightly upwards. Need to check the manuals, but I reckon those sideways obstacle avoidance lenses are also more wide angle than the Mavic 3's. If they have a similar sensor resolution, the object detection range is likely worse, hence the lower normal speed limit.

It could also be that 12m/s is the roughly optimal flight speed for maximum distance (just like the Air 2S) in which case I agree with DJI's default. They should let you change it though.

It was that speed in Normal on the Mavic Air 2. They raised it for Air 2S. Can easily be raised in Firmware. Can the user raise it in the speed settings? (Gain and EXP)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne