DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Antenna Mod

Is there a good source of 5V power inside of the bird and the remote? To run amps off of drone/remote battery.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Is there a good source of 5V power inside of the bird and the remote? To run amps off of drone/remote battery.

Thank you.

You probably know this already but if you quote the person you're asking the question to it's more likely they'll see it and then respond because the webpage alerts them to your question....as it most likely did for the comment I'm posting to you.

I know that, and I know beanbubba watching this post also.
Question is for everyone and anyone who has experience with that.
Thank you

holy cow... these flight distances are impressive! One member has 50,000 feet! i am all stock, and lucky to ge 4,000 feet on a great day. my warranty needs to expire!.....

@beanbubba (and all other contributors) impressive work with detailed info! great job!

***********THIS IS THE FINAL MOD FOR THE THREAD***********

Alrighty race fans, my final mod configuration is done!!

I had to move the amp from the topside to a sidecar configuration. No matter where I placed it on top, it would interfere with the GPS significantly. And as others have suspected, there is little to no benefit having 2 amp's on the birdside. I actually went down to 1 amp on both the remote controller and aircraft and overall performance was nearly the same.

I am in the middle of running many tests to document this with facts and numbers, but the initial results were good enough to call this mod a big success. I just did a test run out 20,000 feet at 200 feet altitude and lowered my home point mast down to 15 feet. There is a small forest in between and it blasted right through it. This was the intent for this mod, to allow more distance when you live in the woods.

View attachment 20949 View attachment 20950 View attachment 20951 View attachment 20952 View attachment 20953

this seems like an ideal setup - is it still?
sunhans amp mounted on the side.
the dual battery clip still allows an additional battery (i'll have a 4100mah LIHV protek on top of the mavic battery).

any downside to using the stock antenna in the landing gear?

thank you for your R&D

Reactions: Texas Mavic
IF YOU ARE A NEWBIE AND LOVE TO MODIFY AND PUSH THE LIMITS, TAKE A COUPLE HOURS AND READ THESE THREADS START TO FINISH. IT WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON AND SAVE EVERYONE A TON OF REPETITIVE QUESTIONS.

Mavic Pro Battery Mod
Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Official Mavic Range Leaderboard
Aircraft Antenna Mod
Mavic Pro Factory Battery Controller Mod
Mavic Weight Reduction Methods
Mavic Radio Mods Primer

:::

Had some spare parts and got a hair up my *** to mod some external antenna connectors. I have a half dozen different antenna types to test and compare against the factory antennas. And I have some circular polarization antennas on order and looking forward to those tests along side the Rexuav remote antenna. All these arrive next week and I will report back my findings.

View attachment 16741 View attachment 16742 View attachment 16743 View attachment 16744 View attachment 16745 View attachment 16746 View attachment 16747 View attachment 16748
A have a question, did you pull the original cables out? Or just leave them in? I see you removed the WiFi board, so basically disconnect the ipex cables, and install pigtails, pugged into the outside two connections, but what is done with the original cables is the only thing I need guidance on. Thanks!!!

A have a question, did you pull the original cables out? Or just leave them in? I see you removed the WiFi board, so basically disconnect the ipex cables, and install pigtails, pugged into the outside two connections, but what is done with the original cables is the only thing I need guidance on. Thanks!!!
Wait, are they the two short ipex jumpers?

this seems like an ideal setup - is it still?
sunhans amp mounted on the side.
the dual battery clip still allows an additional battery (i'll have a 4100mah LIHV protek on top of the mavic battery).

any downside to using the stock antenna in the landing gear?

thank you for your R&D
The factory antenna is the best I have found for the job. I was able to get some higher gain units to work, but you will lose signal at distance if you stop forward flight and the antenna alignment does not maintain vertical alignment.

Thank you.
All the amps I have ever tested had voltage ranges well within 3S on the M1. There are a couple that will fry on 4S of the M2, so check them closely when running on the M2.

I use these little step down units that are adjustable when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ0SC2C/

Reactions: Midnitelite Comoany
The wifi board has its own separate set of coax cables and I just remove them. Then place your amp in between the coax to the front rotor arm and the U.FL port on the main board (that the front arm coax was originally connected).

Reactions: Midnitelite Comoany
The wifi board has its own separate set of coax cables and I just remove them. Then place your amp in between the coax to the front rotor arm and the U.FL port on the main board (that the front arm coax was originally connected).

So, just to make sure I have followed your work on this thread correctly and this info, remove the WiFi board, and middle cables. Place an amp in between the TX and RX connection which runs to the antenna in the leg, correct?!

So that requires the small ipex jumper that you or someone was searching for earlier in the thread I am guessing, in order to use the original cable attached to the board at the tx/rx ipex connection on the board which connects to the output of the amp. And a simple ipex to sma will connect to the in of the amp... my apologies for the ridiculous run on sentence lol

So that requires the small ipex jumper that you or someone was searching for earlier in the thread I am guessing, in order to use the original cable attached to the board at the tx/rx ipex connection on the board which connects to the output of the amp. And a simple ipex to sma will connect to the in of the amp... my apologies for the ridiculous run on sentence lol

From board, into amp, out of amp, to stock antenna. On the transmission/Recieve cable, not the RX only cable. Correct?

Main board to amp:
IPX IPEX U.FL UFL plug to SMA male 1.13mm Pigtail Coax Coaxial Cable 50ohm R/A | eBay

Antenna to amp:
Adapter RP SMA male to IPX U.fl IPEX male plug connector Mini PCIe WIFI LAN GPS | eBay

RC external connector cable:
IPX IPEX U.FL UFL to RP-SMA Female with 1.13mm cable coax Z type FPV for DJI UAV | eBay

Last edited:
320D7088-673C-4396-BA95-CD9ED42D5CB6.jpegBasically I didn’t need to come out of the right antenna on the RC? Is that what the cable is for?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost