Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

AirMap Vs B4UFly Vs Kittyhawk

Harold Morgan

Reaction score
Scouting out a labor day river event in Tulsa. AirMap says it is class E airspace, while B4Ufly and Kittyhawk have no advisories. Should I simply discard AirMap?

Geani66

Reaction score
With AirMap you have to sell your drone.....Not a lot of places to fly.
I choose to go on Transport Canada site for drones and I was OK to fly in that region....with caution.
I still have airmap on my phone,it's useful sometimes

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
@Harold Morgan ... please add you location in your profile to get the best answers to your questions. TIA.

If you follow the most restrictive app you will always be OK. I use AirMap and FAA DroneZone exclusively for clearance to fly.

Mavic Mac

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I had just d/l both Airmap and KittyHawk and was going to find YouTube on how they operate. AirMap shows I am in a restricted zone, d/l the chart for the area I am in shows I am just outside the zone and the DJI app shows I am outside the zone. Who are you supposed to believe ? 🤔

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I had just d/l both Airmap and KittyHawk and was going to find YouTube on how they operate. AirMap shows I am in a restricted zone, d/l the chart for the area I am in shows I am just outside the zone and the DJI app shows I am outside the zone. Who are you supposed to believe ? 🤔
This may also be affected by the accuracy of location services in your phone/device.
If you are in the zone of either app, just put in as an exception. If you fly the location a lot try FAA DroneZone to get clearance for 30 days at a time that is renewable easily.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Note that notices include the entire area you report you intend to fly, or before settling a flight plan, the zoom of the map area.

Mavic Mac

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This may also be affected by the accuracy of location services in your phone/device.
If you are in the zone of either app, just put in as an exception. If you fly the location a lot try FAA DroneZone to get clearance for 30 days at a time that is renewable easily.
Thanks for advising about DroneZone. Will try that next based on the situations below.

Setting up Kittyhawk and they want me to agree to let them manage my storage and PHONE. Anybody know why? Has anybody granted this "permission"? I declined and got message app won't work right - oh well.........

The airport near me is not on the list in AirMap. I get the message
Automated authorization coming soon at or below 100 ft
Clicking on the little i in the circle for further info it brings me to the FAA page about Part 107 waivers. I am thinking when they say the authorization is coming soon they mean the next software upgrade.

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Thanks for advising about DroneZone. Will try that next based on the situations below.

Setting up Kittyhawk and they want me to agree to let them manage my storage and PHONE. Anybody know why? Has anybody granted this "permission"? I declined and got message app won't work right - oh well.........

The airport near me is not on the list in AirMap. I get the message
Automated authorization coming soon at or below 100 ft
Clicking on the little i in the circle for further info it brings me to the FAA page about Part 107 waivers. I am thinking when they say the authorization is coming soon they mean the next software upgrade.
DroneZone took about 36 hours to respond by email for clarification of location boundaries... my area is about 3 miles by 3 miles. (they want latitude and longitude definitions of the area... they were very helpful). Final request took < 24hrs for response.

Mavic Mac

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
DroneZone took about 36 hours to respond by email for clarification of location boundaries... my area is about 3 miles by 3 miles. (they want latitude and longitude definitions of the area... they were very helpful). Final request took < 24hrs for response.
Was on the FAA web page - is there a specific form that needs to be filled out for the authorization ?

Thomas B

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Was on the FAA web page - is there a specific form that needs to be filled out for the authorization ?
Go directly to FAA DroneZone (google if needed). There is a form. Easy to fill out and for renewals you only need to change dates.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htbs28