DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

B4UFLY app no longer opens

CaseyGuy

Reactions
I updated the B4UFLY app on my iPad in the last few days. Now, when I touch the B4UFLY app’s icon to open the app, I get an FAA announcement saying “B4UFLY is expanding!” See screenshot. There’s a link to an FAA webpage with more information. But the app itself doesn’t open, no matter what I touch on the “B4UFLY is expanding!” screen. Anyone else run into this? Were you able to get around it?

Attachments

• IMG_0450.png
    IMG_0450.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 15
The app has changed (again).

Read this thread and choose another app to use in the future.

I'm using the AIR AWARE app.

Looks just like B4UFLY.

Reactions: Dbez1
Try uninstalling the app, then reinstall it.

Air Aware app is just like b4ufly was. Definitely a strange way to end the old app with really no information on how to proceed with getting flight approval.

I wound up with Air Control...which seems like a spin off from ALOFT...which was Kitty Hawk before that......Air Control looks the same as B4UFLY....but some subtle differences, as discussed in this thread B4UFly

They had said some time ago that it was going away. Pilot Institute spoke about it several time. Like others have said you can use Air Aware or Air Control From Aloft.

I went to the link they mention in the four new Approved Service provider, although they mention that Aloft is still and LAANC provider.

The four apps they mention are Airspace Link, AutoPylot, Avision and UASidekick.

Air Aware and Air Control are not in there. I wonder what that's all about. Air Aware was just recently released.

I'll post a on PI's new community and see what they say.

Last edited:
Installed AirHub Portal from Airspace Link and now my original B4UFLY works like before. Just tap the old on-screen icon. The AH Portal itself doesn't show my present position like B4UFLY, just locations entered in app. Anyways, hope it continues as is.

They had said some time ago that it was going away. Pilot Institute spoke about it several time. Like other have said you can use Air Aware or Air Control From Aloft.

I sent to the link they mention in the four new Approved Service provider, although they mento that Aloft is still and LAANC provider.

The four apps the mention are Airspace Link, AutoPylot, Avision and UASidekick.

Air Aware and Air Control are not int there. I wonder what that's all about. Air Aware was just recently released.

Aloft decided to no longer participate in the B4UFLY program and instead design their own app to have more freedom. This allows them to offer things that are currently not in the other 4 apps, such as the FRIA list, which was added last week to Air Aware.

Reactions: MotoSavy
I updated the B4UFLY app on my iPad in the last few days. Now, when I touch the B4UFLY app’s icon to open the app, I get an FAA announcement saying “B4UFLY is expanding!” See screenshot. There’s a link to an FAA webpage with more information. But the app itself doesn’t open, no matter what I touch on the “B4UFLY is expanding!” screen. Anyone else run into this? Were you able to get around it?
I contacted FAA’s UAS Support Center, and they clarified this for me: There no longer is a stand-alone, FAA app called “B4UFLY.” Instead, each of the four companies named in the FAA annoucement has access to B4UFLY data and each has embedded B4UFLY in their own apps. If I want to use B4UFLY data, then, I’d have to download one of those providers’ apps.

Reactions: asditty
Using Air Control, I thought that I was having a problem...I was actually able to have a conversation with someone who not only did help me...but confirmed it in an email, so I would say that they are quite thorough....I do miss the message from past versions "OK to fly"

They had said some time ago that it was going away. Pilot Institute spoke about it several time. Like others have said you can use Air Aware or Air Control From Aloft.

I went to the link they mention in the four new Approved Service provider, although they mention that Aloft is still and LAANC provider.

The four apps they mention are Airspace Link, AutoPylot, Avision and UASidekick.

Air Aware and Air Control are not in there. I wonder what that's all about. Air Aware was just recently released.

Air Aware decided not to be a part of the B4UFLY program. I hope you can try AutoPylot!

Reactions: WShade
Pretty big change with little notice but in my opinion a nice improvement of the process. B4UFLY is no longer active and you now have 4 choices to replace it. I chose Airspacelink, the app is called Airhub. First of all, it's free, and it has a super clean interface. It's very easy to use and get quick approvals. I do get a little concerned when an app is free for the long-term survival but it looks like a bunch of smart folks pulled it all together so I'm sure they game a plan.

Air Aware app is just like b4ufly was. Definitely a strange way to end the old app with really no information on how to proceed with getting flight approval.
Typical government bs

Pretty big change with little notice but in my opinion a nice improvement of the process. B4UFLY is no longer active and you now have 4 choices to replace it. I chose Airspacelink, the app is called Airhub. First of all, it's free, and it has a super clean interface. It's very easy to use and get quick approvals. I do get a little concerned when an app is free for the long-term survival but it looks like a bunch of smart folks pulled it all together so I'm sure they game a plan.
I found Airhub confusing and difficult to navigate. Air Aware is much better than before and easy to use. IMHO

I was looking for some discussion on which of the four “replacements” to B4UFLY was the best, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of comparing going on, although Air Aware has gotten more positive remarks.

Is there anyone who’s reviewed the four choices that are out there who could give us an idea?

I was looking for some discussion on which of the four “replacements” to B4UFLY was the best, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of comparing going on, although Air Aware has gotten more positive remarks.

Is there anyone who’s reviewed the four choices that are out there who could give us an idea?
Try AutoPylot!

Reactions: MotoSavy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne