DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All it does is rain. Every day. Phantomrain to the rescue!!

That drone was coming down hard after the pick up, so the tow still makes the most sense , The Mavic 2 can lift a full size life jacket as we have shown but the tow across the water is the best idea. I may add that tow ring to the Rescue Jacket . That is great idea you had.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. and land on the Water.

Reactions: slozukimc
First trial run in the water and it went fairly well. I must say though that I did get water under the battery that should not have gotten there if the battery cover did it’s job properly. I pressed all around it when I put the battery in so not sure where the water got in through. This was a pretty extreme test for me. The weather was way worse than most folks would ever dream of flying in. The wind was strong enough that sport mode was needed to fight it. Flying with a rescue jacket is kinda like driving a boat. If you crank on the throttle it dives forward at a steep pitch and fights to go fast. If you speed up gradually it stays flatter and seems to speed up better in the wind. Maybe the rescue jacket is acting like a sail a bit.

This test makes me feel totally safe flying around the water on good days. Even me being a novice and splashing down hard had zero effect on the way the rescue jacket kept the drone afloat. I will make double sure to press firmly on the battery seal areas. I wonder if the water could have got in through the battery latch buttons and would a piece of neoprene to cover each of them be a wise idea? @Phantomrain.org what do you think?

Mike

• Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
First trial run in the water and it went fairly well. I must say though that I did get water under the battery that should not have gotten there if the battery cover did it’s job properly. I pressed all around it when I put the battery in so not sure where the water got in through. This was a pretty extreme test for me. The weather was way worse than most folks would ever dream of flying in. The wind was strong enough that sport mode was needed to fight it. Flying with a rescue jacket is kinda like driving a boat. If you crank on the throttle it dives forward at a steep pitch and fights to go fast. If you speed up gradually it stays flatter and seems to speed up better in the wind. Maybe the rescue jacket is acting like a sail a bit.

This test makes me feel totally safe flying around the water on good days. Even me being a novice and splashing down hard had zero effect on the way the rescue jacket kept the drone afloat. I will make double sure to press firmly on the battery seal areas. I wonder if the water could have got in through the battery latch buttons and would a piece of neoprene to cover each of them be a wise idea? @Phantomrain.org what do you think?

Mike

OMG : That was the scariest video I have ever seen, lol
I have no other words but NO NO NO dont ever do that again. lollllll

Thank you for the torture test of the Rescue Jacket for the Mavic Pro .

Phantomrain.org \\
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Last edited:
OMG : That was the scariest video I have ever seen, lol
I have no other words but NO NO NO dont ever do that again. lollllll

Thank you for the torture test of the Rescue Jacket for the Mavic Pro .

Phantomrain.org \\
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Gotta know what she’ll do. Lol

I am now having a gimbal overload problem that keeps telling me to be sure the gimbal clamp is removed.

I don’t know if water did that or maybe that hard landing/bounce jarred something.

The gimbal moves around but it is quite different from the way my M1X gimbal starts up. Guess I have some research to do.

Are gimbals really that sensitive to shock?

Gotta know what she’ll do. Lol

I am now having a gimbal overload problem that keeps telling me to be sure the gimbal clamp is removed.

I don’t know if water did that or maybe that hard landing/bounce jarred something.

The gimbal moves around but it is quite different from the way my M1X gimbal starts up. Guess I have some research to do.

Are gimbals really that sensitive to shock?
Looking online it seems my problem is likely a bad ribbon cable from the rough landing. That was a total screwup on my part for sure.

Looking online it seems my problem is likely a bad ribbon cable from the rough landing. That was a total screwup on my part for sure.
There is chance that the gimbal ribbon did tear on impact. It was a harder landing than expected but I would let it dry out and take a look at it tomorrow.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

There is chance that the gimbal ribbon did tear on impact. It was a harder landing than expected but I would let it dry out and take a look at it tomorrow.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I was also having forward vision sensor errors that lead me to believe water got inside the body near the camera board so you may be correct that it may dry and be fine. We’ll see. It is sitting on my pellet stove hopper where it is nice and warm so it should be dry by now. That landing was hard. If you can even call that a landing. I haven’t been able to watch the video from the sd card yet. I should be able to see when the gimbal started malfunctioning and maybe get a clue what happened.

I was also having forward vision sensor errors that lead me to believe water got inside the body near the camera board so you may be correct that it may dry and be fine. We’ll see. It is sitting on my pellet stove hopper where it is nice and warm so it should be dry by now. That landing was hard. If you can even call that a landing. I haven’t been able to watch the video from the sd card yet. I should be able to see when the gimbal started malfunctioning and maybe get a clue what happened.

So we watched the video a couple times , none of the landing on the water damaged the Gimbal , however at 7: 24 on the video timeline you landed hard on the rocks and the drone almost tilted over and that is where Gimbal took the most impact.

Its one of the most interesting videos I have ever seen from a client , again thank you for the time and effort but we do the testing so you dont have to. lol

The other weak link inside the drone is the ESC module , that can easily get damaged from hard landings , so be careful with that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain.

So we watched the video a couple times , none of the landing on the water damaged the Gimbal , however at 7: 24 on the video timeline you landed hard on the rocks and the drone almost tilted over and that is where Gimbal took the most impact.

Its one of the most interesting videos I have ever seen from a client , again thank you for the time and effort but we do the testing so you dont have to. lol

The other weak link inside the drone is the ESC module , that can easily get damaged from hard landings , so be careful with that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain.
I watched the video from the drone and the gimbal was acting fine until after the drone was stopped. I did, however, forget to turn off the drone before bringing it in and may have bumped it or something then. Will see how it behaves today.

That should become a training video about how not to operate a drone.
Pick a really windy day, then remove situational awareness by sitting in a car with rain covered side and rear windows. Fly in heavy rain and dunk your drone repeatedly into dirty water, relying on a neoprene cover to protect sensitive electronics. Then you get a gimbal overload error. Amazing!

That should become a training video about how not to operate a drone.
Pick a really windy day, then remove situational awareness by sitting in a car with rain covered side and rear windows. Fly in heavy rain and dunk your drone repeatedly into dirty water, relying on a neoprene cover to protect sensitive electronics. Then you get a gimbal overload error. Amazing!
I wanted to know how the drone handles in the bad weather. Now I know. It will handle more than I will likely give it. Kinda like practice riding my trials bike. **** happens sometimes when ya push the limits.
As far as dunking, the drone never went under the water when it landed on it. The rescue jacket kept it above the surface every time. It got wetter from the rain. I believe the error I am getting was caused by the hard impact that was totally my fault. I still had it in sport mode and landed way too hard.
As far as your remarks about situational awareness the drone NEVER left my sight. Just because you can’t see it in the video from a phone on the dash doesn’t mean I couldn’t. When it looks like the drone went behind the truck I was out in the rain too. So don’t try to make out like I am some sort of danger to the drone world because I am willing to risk playing around the water for the thrill of it and willing to accept responsibility for what I screw up. I fly my drones for the fun of flying them no matter the weather, just like I ride my bikes in the rain and snow. If something happens to them then I guess that is the way it goes. It’s just a thing and can be repaired. I guess the way I see it is MAN that was awesome, that drone was actually flying in a Nor’Easter and it was a blast fighting the wind just like riding a hard loop. If it cost me money to send off for repair then that thrill was paid for. Others fly for the pics and video. That is secondary to the fun of flight for me.

Mike

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, next time I fly in a storm I will use my M1X gimbal cover that doesn’t have a clamp. That will make the video just like what a pilot would see from a plane and the weather is cold enough that the lack of air flow won’t be an issue. I wish there was a way to turn off the gimbal and fly with it clamped in place when I just want to screw around and not take pics.

Mike

Edit: @Phantomrain.org have you ever tried treating a drone with Rain-X?

Edit 2: Does the data available to me using dji assistant 2 have the gimbal error and such? Like if I get a PC and look at that data can I tell when the error started?

Last edited:

I wonder about taking a drone apart and treating it with this kind of thing inside. Also, for an all weather drone I wouldn’t have an issue with sealing the seams from the outside with a bit of clear silicone.

I think I may do the gimbal ribbon repair myself on this drone. While I have it apart I will waterproof every part and seal every little crack I can around sensors and all with a tiny amount of silicone sealer. I realize the gimbal is still fragile and none of this would have helped prevent my error if it was because of the impact. I know I will be flying around waterfalls and creeks so this drone needs to be able to handle it. 😄

Mike

Apologies about the situational awareness point- it's how it looked from the video. As you say you have the right to do whatever you want with your drone ( as long as it doesn't endanger anyone else), but somethings are probably best kept as dark secrets!

Apologies about the situational awareness point- it's how it looked from the video. As you say you have the right to do whatever you want with your drone ( as long as it doesn't endanger anyone else), but somethings are probably best kept as dark secrets!
No worries. The video isn’t great. The only ones in danger are those derned seagulls and hawks I have to run away and hide from now and then. Had a Bald Eagle chase me down a few days ago. When they start getting close I know they are after the drone so I get away as soon as I can. I don’t want to hurt them or have one crash my drone.

• Haha
I’ve always wondered if these really work. To me, it just looks like some foam stickers that are only for peace of mind.
They absolutely do work. And yes they are just neoprene pads that stick on but your not just paying for the material…..your paying for someone to take the time to through trial and error come up with a product that works well and effectively and is easy enough for anyone to install . Someone took the time to create exact fitting peices to a variety of drones, start up a company and take the financial risk of it not taking off, lose multiple expensive drones throughout the testing period to get it just right I’m sure, and then market it. On top of all that the business relationship is very smooth and easy as well as feeling like you just made a new great friend. A lot of companies know they have a bunch of **** products that will never be able to do what they are said they can do and these companies bank on multiple products being bought only once. They know **** well after the first buy you will not ever buy it again. Now if you can put out a hundred of these cheap waste of money products and get millions of people to at least buy just once for all of these products………Short answer: YOUR RICH!!!! Phantomrains product does not have glamorize it’s product or spend tons on truck photography commercials loaded with ******** claims that are all lies because the product sells itself. If you do everything Coal instructs inhis install video and do it correctly ……I emphasize correctly……. You will have a drone that can withstand incredible torrential downpours. I’m just jealous I didn’t think of it first. Anyone who is posting comments that try to disclaim the effectiveness of the wet suit and life vest did not install it correctly and just don’t want to except and own any fault of their own doing. I’m sure Coal wouldn’t mind installing it for you but think about it….that means you would have to ship your drone , wait in line for him to install it because I’m sure he doesn’t have a warehouse full of people to handle huge work loads, then wait for it to return in the mail, and cross your fingers your not one of the few who end up having problems with the shipping service and lose your drone or get it stolen or whatever. If you can’t get the simplicity of the installation then honestly, you shouldn’t be flying a drone that is way more complicated than the task of following a video that shows you exactly how to do this installation correctly

They absolutely do work. And yes they are just neoprene pads that stick on but your not just paying for the material…..your paying for someone to take the time to through trial and error come up with a product that works well and effectively and is easy enough for anyone to install . Someone took the time to create exact fitting peices to a variety of drones, start up a company and take the financial risk of it not taking off, lose multiple expensive drones throughout the testing period to get it just right I’m sure, and then market it. On top of all that the business relationship is very smooth and easy as well as feeling like you just made a new great friend. A lot of companies know they have a bunch of **** products that will never be able to do what they are said they can do and these companies bank on multiple products being bought only once. They know **** well after the first buy you will not ever buy it again. Now if you can put out a hundred of these cheap waste of money products and get millions of people to at least buy just once for all of these products………Short answer: YOUR RICH!!!! Phantomrains product does not have glamorize it’s product or spend tons on truck photography commercials loaded with ******** claims that are all lies because the product sells itself. If you do everything Coal instructs inhis install video and do it correctly ……I emphasize correctly……. You will have a drone that can withstand incredible torrential downpours. I’m just jealous I didn’t think of it first. Anyone who is posting comments that try to disclaim the effectiveness of the wet suit and life vest did not install it correctly and just don’t want to except and own any fault of their own doing. I’m sure Coal wouldn’t mind installing it for you but think about it….that means you would have to ship your drone , wait in line for him to install it because I’m sure he doesn’t have a warehouse full of people to handle huge work loads, then wait for it to return in the mail, and cross your fingers your not one of the few who end up having problems with the shipping service and lose your drone or get it stolen or whatever. If you can’t get the simplicity of the installation then honestly, you shouldn’t be flying a drone that is way more complicated than the task of following a video that shows you exactly how to do this installation correctly
I have flown in downpours and fog with no failures that have been water related.

That’s all the proof I need.

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S