DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost Arrested

Maybe I should have known better, but I was an Aussie traveling in Britain with my trusty M2P and wanted to get a shot of Stonehenge. I went out the preceding day to check it out and there were thousands of people everywhere. I wanted an early morning shot with long shadows so returned the next morning to the place I'd identified as a good launching spot, with a good view of any people or other problems.

I went at 5.30am and there was no-one around and no-one near the Henge so I launched the Mavic and did some shots. Now at no time did I fly over the stones, nor did I fly anywhere near people (there was no-one there except a couple of security guards). The weather was overcast so I had to forget about long shadows but about 10 minutes into the flight a car pulled up with a security guard inside. I made no attempt to hide what I was doing and he got out of his car and told me in no uncertain terms to get the drone away from over the stones.

I politely pointed out that at no time was I ever over, or near the stones and that I didn't fly over people. I also pointed out there were no signs prohibiting flights. He took exception to this and said the site was National Trust run and flying over National Trust land is illegal. At this point he threatened to arrest me. I hit the return to home button setting things in motion and apologised for my transgression. He waited until the Mavic returned then told me to leave the area immediately. I did as he said but I don't believe he had the authority to move me from a public road, especially as there were at least a dozen camper vans parked in the lane nearby. Anyway I did manage to get a few shots...

View attachment 79047View attachment 79049
Great picture! The National Trust are renowned for being absolute [Language Removed by Moderator] with regards to drones. If you ask for permission to fly from National Trust land, you will get a big fat two fingers (one finger in the USA) as your reply! However, they don't own the airspace, so if you could take off from a location nearby not owned by the National Trust, there's not a lot they could do to stop you. The security guards that turned up and gave you a hard time, have no powers to move you on. They could ask you to land your drone if you had taken off from NT owned land but there's not much more they could've done except ask you to leave the location but you don't have to leave if you don't want to. They are not the police or any kind of law enforcement, they are just security guards. They have no more legal powers to arrest you than any other member of the public, they just wear a uniform. The uniform may intimidate some people or make some people think that they have more legal powers than they actually have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
More to the point there are also numerous airfields including a military base, if you look at the CAA Drone portal screen grab attached you will see that you shouldn't have flown their irrespective of the national trust rules as you're right on the edge of a danger area. You might want to download the CAA Drone Assist app, it will tell you where ever you are if there are any restrictions. :) Enjoy your visit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-07 14.22.40.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-07 14.22.40.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 49
You should have begun singing, “I come from the Land down under. Where the beer flows and men chunder.” Men At Work??????

Awesome shot and great adventure story. I'm glad they didn't arrest you or confiscate your drone or footage. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say the guys on this forum are really supportive. I shared my similar experience of being told off in Lichfield in a late evening a couple of months ago when flying *around* the cathedral on a Facebook group, all I got was I shouldn't fly at all to begin with.

Maybe I should have known better, but I was an Aussie traveling in Britain with my trusty M2P and wanted to get a shot of Stonehenge. I went out the preceding day to check it out and there were thousands of people everywhere. I wanted an early morning shot with long shadows so returned the next morning to the place I'd identified as a good launching spot, with a good view of any people or other problems.

I went at 5.30am and there was no-one around and no-one near the Henge so I launched the Mavic and did some shots. Now at no time did I fly over the stones, nor did I fly anywhere near people (there was no-one there except a couple of security guards). The weather was overcast so I had to forget about long shadows but about 10 minutes into the flight a car pulled up with a security guard inside. I made no attempt to hide what I was doing and he got out of his car and told me in no uncertain terms to get the drone away from over the stones.

I politely pointed out that at no time was I ever over, or near the stones and that I didn't fly over people. I also pointed out there were no signs prohibiting flights. He took exception to this and said the site was National Trust run and flying over National Trust land is illegal. At this point he threatened to arrest me. I hit the return to home button setting things in motion and apologised for my transgression. He waited until the Mavic returned then told me to leave the area immediately. I did as he said but I don't believe he had the authority to move me from a public road, especially as there were at least a dozen camper vans parked in the lane nearby. Anyway I did manage to get a few shots...

Nice souvenir. The days of getting shots like these are over. All considered, it's probably for the best

Good job on scouting and timing the shot! Looks great. Overcast/cloudy skies are underrated.

Great picture but being snarky to a Law Enforcement Office in a country you're not from could be one of the worst decisions you've made. It worked out well for you (might want to go buy a lottery ticket) but it's not something I would suggest doing as a habit.

Thanks for sharing your GREAT pic :)
If he was not a police officer in possesion of a warrant card he had no authority to tell you anything, you have the right to video in public places, his authority ends at the boundery of the trust property, light aircraft, full size aircraft fly over it all the time, google earth take update pictures all the time, next time ask him at which police station he is based his number and ask him to produce his authority giving him power to stop anyone on public land, security guards have no more power than you. Being a Security Guard in Britain: Their duties and powers - InBrief.co.uk.

If he was not a police officer in possesion of a warrant card he had no authority to tell you anything, you have the right to video in public places, his authority ends at the boundery of the trust property, light aircraft, full size aircraft fly over it all the time, google earth take update pictures all the time, next time ask him at which police station he is based his number and ask him to produce his authority giving him power to stop anyone on public land, security guards have no more power than you. Being a Security Guard in Britain: Their duties and powers - InBrief.co.uk.

Except that (1) the OP was not, and still is not certain that he was not on NT land and (2) either way there is a high probability that security would have called the local police who, correctly or incorrectly, would quite likely have sided with them and cited or even arrested the OP, leaving him with a fine mess to clear up on his vacation. Easy to give brave advice to a foreign tourist from the safety of your computer, but really not very appropriate or helpful.

Taking off or landing on NT land is not allowed., but they cannot prevent overflying providing you take off from a public path and that you comply with the drone code, great photo by the way.
Will someone correct me if I am wrong.

If he was parked on the road he was on public, if he was in the car park he was on trust land.

Been up there loads of times its only 30 miles away.

This still doesn't mean you are off scott free. CASA monitor public and social media sites for anyone posting drone photos which show any type of breach to there cocktail rules.

You would be better off taking the win and keeping it to yourself.

Except that (1) the OP was not, and still is not certain that he was not on NT land and (2) either way there is a high probability that security would have called the local police who, correctly or incorrectly, would quite likely have sided with them and cited or even arrested the OP, leaving him with a fine mess to clear up on his vacation. Easy to give brave advice to a foreign tourist from the safety of your computer, but really not very appropriate or helpful.
If he was on the main road he was OK as long as there were no yellow lines or no parking signs, if he was actually in the visitor center then he comes under the rules of the trust, on the main road the security guard has no power or no more than any other person.

In the UK the National Trust has a Draconian reputation regarding drones, see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/flying-drones-at-our-places. Some are reasonable, but one such regulation states "Many drones have cameras attached (You don't say!) and these could infringe data protection laws (filming people without permission)," which might prompt one to ask, that if one is at Stonehenge or anywhere in public for that matter & using a hand-held video camera to film in Trafalgar Square for example, does one have to ask individual permission from the thousands of tourists gathered there and captured on your SD card? I think not!

Last edited:
There is a public byway/green lane/road used as a public path to the west of Stonehenge that they are always trying to close down as it gives visitors a view of the stones without having to pay the National Trust. The view is almost as good as you’ll get from NT land as they (the NT) don’t allow you to get close to the stones.

Reactions: 4wd and Ridgeback
Using the plan that gnirtS posted I believe I was on the same track yesterday...but not flying! It looks to me that the track...if once a public highway...may have been formally closed through the courts which results in the track reverting to the adjacent owner, in this case the NT.
Of course this is speculation and the track may not have been formally closed...the local highway authority would confirm that.
The nearby public road (A303 if I recall) is very busy and I wouldn't try to fly from there.

There is a public byway/green lane/road used as a public path to the west of Stonehenge that they are always trying to close down as it gives visitors a view of the stones without having to pay the National Trust. The view is almost as good as you’ll get from NT land as they (the NT) don’t allow you to get close to the stones.
Unless its solstice .. when they allow anyone free access. You can sit on the stones twice a year.

In the UK the National Trust has a Draconian reputation regarding drones, see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/flying-drones-at-our-places. Some are reasonable, but one such regulation states "Many drones have cameras attached (You don't say!) and these could infringe data protection laws (filming people without permission)," which might prompt one to ask, that if one is at Stonehenge or anywhere in public for that matter & using a hand-held video camera to film in Trafalgar Square for example, does one have to ask individual permission from the thousands of tourists gathered there and captured on your SD card?
Please note that in the UK in a public place there is no presumption of privacy and anyone can take pictures of anything within reason. Taking pictures of military bases will probably cause problems as might taking pictures of an empty airport, (there have to be planes!). NationalTrust land is not a public place so you have to abide by their rules
Unless its solstice .. when they allow anyone free access. You can sit on the stones twice a year.
Yes, but can you imagine the public disobedience that would happen if they tried to stop access at those times.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Bad enough with the 10 quid parking charge at summer solstice had to pay it tho wasn’t leaving my Impreza in the lanes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King