DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost crashed again.

shb

Reactions

A week after I crashed my Mavic at the school (my first crash), I almost crashed again. I was testing
the mobile app I'm writing in B4A. I took off. Then my app lost the connection with the Mavic. I should of hit return to home, but instead, I tried to reconnect the app. I paid no attention to the remote controller. Dumb. When I finally got video back, I had landed somewhere, but I had no idea where. So I started the
motors, and took off. I don't know why it landed. It probably did an autoland. Actually, after watching the video, I made for you tube, I was pulling it down, thinking it was right above me.
When I looked at the 4k video, I could see I landed on the top of a hotel. I'm lucky it didn't
land on power lines, a tree, or on a person. I had turned off obstacle avoidance since last
weeks crash. I merged the 4k footage with the screen capture. Definitely pilot error. Steve

Reactions: Cowboys2023
Hopefully you're learning from your mishaps.
So far you haven't hurt anyone yet, so be careful.

no i'm just stupid

Well stop being stupid. You can hurt someone. There are already great drivers for these units, if you must write your own, fly in the country away from the world. Put a Bluetooth tracker on it for when it inevitably crashes again . At least you won't hurt someone.

Smarten up

Reactions: newguy

A week after I crashed my Mavic at the school (my first crash), I almost crashed again. I was testing
the mobile app I'm writing in B4A. I took off. Then my app lost the connection with the Mavic. I should of hit return to home, but instead, I tried to reconnect the app. I paid no attention to the remote controller. Dumb. When I finally got video back, I had landed somewhere, but I had no idea where. So I started the
motors, and took off. I don't know why it landed. It probably did an autoland. Actually, after watching the video, I made for you tube, I was pulling it down, thinking it was right above me.
When I looked at the 4k video, I could see I landed on the top of a hotel. I'm lucky it didn't
land on power lines, a tree, or on a person. I had turned off obstacle avoidance since last
weeks crash. I merged the 4k footage with the screen capture. Definitely pilot error. Steve
Wha???

Stop flying the drone, you will hurt someone. no wonder people are afreid of drones

Glad you shared your experience, and that you were able to recover your drone.

I apologize for the crash and unsympathetic remarks from others. Part of the deal, unfortunately.

Glad you shared your experience, and that you were able to recover your drone.

I apologize for the crash and unsympathetic remarks from others. Part of the deal, unfortunately.

lol don't apologise for others pointing out that Mr. All-the-gear-no-idea is going to hurt someone if he carries on flying over or around people whilst not understanding what might go wrong when losing GPS signal inside or using a non standard app that lands the craft randomly over populated areas. I'm sure the people who pointed those things out don't need your apologies on their behalf. Good advice was given and hopefully taken.

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
As a software designer, I would like to especially welcome people who want to program drones, and I want to encourage new people to develop software for it.

I mean c'mon, loosen up a little - we are here to exchange information and help one another enjoy our drones, and not browbeat one another.

Help get the message of safety across, sure. Find the happy medium where you get your point across by encouraging, not berating.

Last edited:
Reactions: alelongoni and shb
I tried to find out why my first crash at the school happened.

I email dji this

" I download the blackbox files. attached to this email is a screen shot of them. I looked on the mavic blogs, but I couldn't find
out how to open these files. The reason I want to open them, was I had a crash. Can you tell me how to go about opening these files. I was not running DJI Go 4 at the time of the crash. I was running an app I wrote myself. I could send you the files themselves, but they are 42 mg. steve"

they responded with this

"I get your point. However, we are sincerely to let you know that the black data cannot be opened by yourself related to technical knowledge confidentiality."

I said "So, should I send it to you, so you can trouble shoot my crash? steve"

they said "Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with your request. Since the incident occurred without logging into DJI go APP.
It means that there is no flight record but only the black data. And we need flight record to make a flight date analysis. And our R&D team would not do data analysis if there is no flight record at all.Sorry about that. And hope you can respect our decision."

if anybody can help me interpreting the black box data please contact me

Good for DJI!

You and Gegre are missing the point. You are not supposed to fly in areas where people could get hurt or worse.

Take your modified software Mavic out unto the bush, or open farm land and test your *** off.

That's all anyone is asking. Can you understand it?

Good for DJI!

You and Gegre are missing the point. You are not supposed to fly in areas where people could get hurt or worse.

Take your modified software Mavic out unto the bush, or open farm land and test your *** off.

That's all anyone is asking. Can you understand it?
I like flying around people. that's why i got it. i've never heard of anyone getting hurt by a drone

Reactions: Nephiliam
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61