DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Limitation

rdmcdonal

Reactions
Hey guys, this is my first post here, and I was hoping someone could help me. I just recently updated my Mavic Pro 1st gen alpine white, to the newest software, and it won’t let me fly over 400’. Is there any way to circumvent this restriction, or is this just what I have to accept now, because in all honesty, it defeats the purpose of even buying a drone. Thank you

There is a website devoted to hacking all limitations of various drones, notably including the Mavic Pro. The name escapes me at the moment, and I'm sure someone will recall the name shortly.

You will be glad to know that The Mavic Pro is RENOWNED for being eminently hackable to defeat all performance limitations. You bought the right drone, if you want to fly responsibly but without imposed constraints. This versatility does not exist for most later DJI releases, so the Mavic Pro is a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdmcdonal
... it won’t let me fly over 400’
... in all honesty, it defeats the purpose of even buying a drone
That's not right ... something else than a DJI restriction is blocking you.

The GO4 app will not let you put in a higher altitude limit than 500m or 1640ft ... that's the only SW imposed limitation. This is aside the legally general maximum altitude that usually is 120m or 400ft which will not create a firm restriction that will stop you from going higher... just a warning in GO4.

The only thing I can think of is that your countries flight/aviation authority have imposed a height restriction in your location that now have been included in the DJI Fly Safe map which most probably got updated in your MP when you put in the newest firmware.

In general it's unwise to break those imposed height restrictions as other wise you might interfere with manned aircraft operations with severe consequences if something happens or you get caught.

And really don't know why owning a drone "just" for flying below 400ft over ground beneath should be useless ..?

Likely illegal but this may be the world record of Mavic Pro in terms of flying height :

Hi rdmcdonal Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
What exactly do you intend to use your Mavic for if a 400’ limit defeats your purpose ?

I am an amateur photographer and videographer, and the 400’ limitation is diminishing my photo and video qualities of things I wish to accomplish. I live way out in the boondocks and am over 50miles from the nearest local airport, so I know there are no manned aircraft near my vicinity, but DJI I guess begs to differ. I appreciate all of the responses, as I truly didn’t think the forum was still this active! Thank all y’all for your answers!

There is a website devoted to hacking all limitations of various drones, notably including the Mavic Pro. The name escapes me at the moment, and I'm sure someone will recall the name shortly.

You will be glad to know that The Mavic Pro is RENOWNED for being eminently hackable to defeat all performance limitations. You bought the right drone, if you want to fly responsibly but without imposed constraints. This versatility does not exist for most later DJI releases, so the Mavic Pro is a diamond in the rough.

I am an amateur photographer and videographer, and the 400’ limitation is diminishing my photo and video qualities of things I wish to accomplish. I live way out in the boondocks and am over 50miles from the nearest local airport, so I know there are no manned aircraft near my vicinity, but DJI I guess begs to differ. I appreciate all of the responses, as I truly didn’t think the forum was still this active! Thank all y’all for your answers!

You just need to set the max height in the app like you would have done once already if you were flying about 400ft prior to the update.

You do realize though that just about everywhere, the legal altitude is 400ft AGL, right? After all, your profile shows you being a member here for 2 years. DJI is simply making you aware that you could be breaking legal rules. And as was stated, that's just a warning DJI makes, not a restriction. Planes and helicopters can fly farther than 50 miles so excusing yourself that you're 50 miles from the nearest airport doesn't wash.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
You do realize though that just about everywhere, the legal altitude is 400ft AGL, right? After all, your profile shows you being a member here for 2 years. DJI is simply making you aware that you could be breaking legal rules. And as was stated, that's just a warning DJI makes, not a restriction. Planes and helicopters can fly farther than 50 miles so excusing yourself that you're 50 miles from the nearest airport doesn't wash.
FAA rules are explicit about their prohibition of drones around airports in the USA, but in countries beyond the jurisdiction of the FAA, and particularly in rural areas well off the beaten path, drone legislation can range from ambiguous to none-existent, leaving the drone operator to exercise due diligence in the pursuit of his hobby.

A Boeing 737 at flight idle midway along its descent profile from cruise altitude, on a standard 3-degree glide slope with the runway threshold in sight from 50 miles out, would still be at between 9,000 to 15,000 feet AGL, which is well above the 1,500 foot altitude at which a stock DJI drone could reach, however if one happens to reside 50 miles from an airport in an area that does not lie beneath any SID or STAR flight paths, and where there is no general aviation traffic, a drone operator could fly his craft well above 1,500 feet AGL without posing any threat to aircraft of any description.

Setting aside all my Devil's Advocate musings, I too cannot see the rationale for the OP's determination to film from thousands of feet altitude, given how little detail of the landscape is actually discernible from such heights, even with the latest generation of drone-cams.

Last edited:
Hey guys, this is my first post here, and I was hoping someone could help me. I just recently updated my Mavic Pro 1st gen alpine white, to the newest software, and it won’t let me fly over 400’. Is there any way to circumvent this restriction, or is this just what I have to accept now, because in all honesty, it defeats the purpose of even buying a drone. Thank you
Lots of people not answering your question here.
Only post #8 touches on the actual issue.

Your drone has a user-configurable Max Altitude limit.
When you update, some settings are reset to factory defaults and the Max Altitude limit is one of them.
It's gone back to the factory default of 400 ft.

All you need to do is reset it to what you want.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98