DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude limitations

Trailer12

Reactions
Is the altitude limitation 100 ft or 385 ft over private property. I get conflicting imformation

Where are you flying? Are you flying recreationally or commercially?

The FAA has no altitude limitation for flying over private property.

Reactions: CJH92474
Though they’d really like you to stay under 400 feet everywhere in the US. This is soon to be an actual rule.
That is not a lower limit, not at this time and it does not specifically apply to airspace over private property.

I like to practice my s and figure 8 turns at a low altitude about 75 feet and it is over the neighbor hood. just want to know if that is legal.Don't want to get in trouble if for some reason some one gets mad. If they do I'll fly some where else.:(

That is not a lower limit, not at this time and it does not specifically apply to airspace over private property.

That’s why I said “they’d like” and “soon to be a rule.” The ground being private property doesn’t have anything to do with the airspace. This is basically irrelevant.

I like to practice my s and figure 8 turns at a low altitude about 75 feet and it is over the neighbor hood. just want to know if that is legal.Don't want to get in trouble if for some reason some one gets mad. If they do I'll fly some where else.:(

It’s ok as long as you are more than 5 miles from an airport in the US. If within 5 miles you have to notify the airport each time before you fly. Speaking of which you can get an app called B4UFly and it will let you know if it’s ok to fly there. AirMap is another one but be sure to choose that you are flying for recreation on that one.

Edit: I meant to say “choose fly-for-fun” in AirMap

Last edited:
Interesting that B4UFly is not on FAA’s list of apps approved to grant LAANC clearance for flying in NFZs. The first time through AirMap you have to enter your info. After that, each time just open the app and apply for time once in your location and enter how long you want to fly. LAANC approval comes almost immediately. See the reference below about half way down the page...again, note the absence of B4UFly, which is several years old and being reworked currently by Kittyhawk. Also note that DJI is not currently approved, but is on the list.
Your approval will have any info about height restrictions etc.

Interesting that B4UFly is not on FAA’s list of apps approved to grant LAANC clearance for flying in NFZs. The first time through AirMap you have to enter your info. After that, each time just open the app and apply for time once in your location and enter how long you want to fly. LAANC approval comes almost immediately. See the reference below about half way down the page...again, note the absence of B4UFly, which is several years old and being reworked currently by Kittyhawk. Also note that DJI is not currently approved, but is on the list.

LAANC only applies to Part 107 flights, so it's not going to be of much use to the OP flying recreationally.

Reactions: brett8883
Depending on the airport and how close you are to it, the airspace could be restricted to less than 400 ft. You should find your location here: ArcGIS Web Application

You are both giving very good information for part 107 procedures, however, the OP didn't indicate he/she is a 107 pilot and the flight plan described would be a recreational operation anyway. Therefore the 107 procedures do not apply in this case. Unfortunately there is no app or online tool to request clearance for recreational pilots (aka part 101 pilots).

By federal law recreational(101) pilots must CALL any airport within 5 miles to NOTIFY them of their operations REGARDLESS of airspace. The airport may at that point ask that in the future you contact them by another means. Also some major airports may have an email address to contact them via which you can do instead of calling.

The B4Ufly standalone app is good for recreational pilots as it is very simple. It just tells you if there is an airport within 5 miles(then you have to call them)with a yellow caution⚠,

if the area is under a TFZ(in which case you cannot fly and will get a big red sign⛔,
or

to use caution, but you can fly without further action✅(its actually a yellow check mark)

I know its confusing but hopefully this has helped added some clarity

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks Brett. That explains language used in the app to describe clearance for 101.7 flying. The explanation of it in the app, and maybe the law, confused me. The 333 exemption speaks for itself

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman